Lincoln City 4-0 Accrington Stanley: What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Lincoln City 4-0 Accrington Stanley: What 3 Things Did We Learn?

1) The whole squad knows the plan and have been coached so well they can all execute it with competence.

2) Tayo Edun is a very useful asset slightly further up the pitch.

3) Palmer is human. Once every 30 games or so he will make a minor error.

1. There is such a will to win in this squad. Even when we were cruising tonight at 3-0 up, you could see that the players had the desire not to let their guard down. They wanted a clean sheet to go with the win. So you would see Howarth, Scully, Grant etc....battling back and not giving Accrington the space to play their game even though all they were after was a consolation goal. That desire will bring further rewards this season

2. Zak Elbouzedi is a bit of an enigma. He played very well tonight but possibly should have had a hat-trick. His goal was probably the hardest opportunity he had tonight, but he put that away well because he took his time over it. Other chances came and went because they were snatched at. You could see tonight what he can bring to this team with his speed and direct running. Just don't expect the end product every time. If we were in the ground you get the feeling that supporters would be holding their breath not knowing if the net was about to bulge or you needed to make a swift dive for cover as the ball was heading straight for you at the back of the stand. Great to watch though.

3. Max Melbourne is a better centre half than left back. I don't think many will look at tonights game and make many comments about Melbourne and his performance, but all in the rate the players thread will say very solid. That was the same in the other matches in this competition where he has played in the centre. His game is less complicated there and perhaps that is what he needs at the moment.

1) They trust the method. The last three games we've not been as far ahead as we'd have wanted at half time - 1-1 at Wimbledon, 1-0 down against Posh, and only 1-0 up here. But, we've stuck to our guns and come out and carried on playing that way, and we've ended every one of those games in a better place than we were at half time. It works. It wears the opposition down.

2) I thought Jackson had a really good game tonight. Totally unheralded, but won everything. In Montsma / Walsh / Jackson we have three really good centre halves.

3) We are fit. I mean, really fuck*ng fit. Both our full backs were bombing forwards after 80 minutes.

4) I think it's easy to critice Scully, in particular, for not scoring tonight, and I also thought Elbo could have had a couple more. But I think, maybe that's why these players are playing for us - because if they did put all those chances away they'd be a division or two higher, and having players like that is our business model. If we can improve them then we'll have some proper players on our hands.

5) Every single one of our players is comfortable with the ball at their feet. Edun neary scored a worldy by dancing round about 14 of them. I'm sure that Jackson did a little trick at one stage. Gotts did a beautiful little turn at one point.

6) Scully is really good at selling dummies.