Lincoln City 1-1 Peterborough United: What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Lincoln City 1-1 Peterborough United: What 3 Things Did We Learn?

1. Again, we maybe showed a bigger team too much respect in our own stadium. Bit like Sunderland. Front foot second half much better.

2. Bridcutt doesn't seem as essential as I thought- I thought games like this were his bread and butter but he was so loose on the ball and made so many fouls.

3. We are a poorer team when Tom Hopper doesn't play and he's a big miss when we are stuck defending.

1. By the sounds of it the covid situation meant that there has been little formal coaching this week. Short of key players and down to 6 on the bench, to then go out and earn a draw against one of the strongest teams in the league is testament to the application and intelligence of this playing squad.

2. Scully needs to be tied in to a new contract or option extension asap. MA and JG have been quiet on this, so hopefully it's been sorted. He was struggling to make an impact a few weeks ago but is now looking like the player we hoped for when he signed. His goals to minutes scoring rate is high, he can snaffle chances and finish well, all allied to a high work rate and team ethic.

3. It feels churlish to criticize when we're top of the league, but I still feel substitutions are MA's weakness. Posh negated the red card as much as they could yesterday by maximum use of substitutes, only 4 of their starting outfield players finished. But a man down leaves spaces, and with Bridcutt tiring and at high risk of a red, the pace of Elbouzedi might have made good use of that space in the last 10 minutes or so.

To use or not use substitutes that is the question.

I quite like the way Appleton does it.
He assesses the game and makes a conscious decision as to whether a substitution will make things better or not.
Unlike some managers he doesn't automatically make changes because the clock has reached 65minutes.

Keeping things the same is often harder than changing them... but can be the right choice.

Multiple changes can disrupt your team's rhythm.

I would say yesterday Grant came into the game more and more as the minutes passed, which is what you would want and give you the best chance to create the winning goal.

As it turned out we might have scored a goal had we brought on Elbouzedi instead or we might not have...

we will never know...

To use or not use substitutes that is the question.

I quite like the way Appleton does it.
He assesses the game and makes a conscious decision as to whether a substitution will make things better or not.
Unlike some managers he doesn't automatically make changes because the clock has reached 65minutes.

Keeping things the same is often harder than changing them... but can be the right choice.

Multiple changes can disrupt your team's rhythm.

I would say yesterday Grant came into the game more and more as the minutes passed, which is what you would want and give you the best chance to create the winning goal.

As it turned out we might have scored a goal had we brought on Elbouzedi instead or we might not have...

we will never know...

Perhaps there are other considerations, though. If a substitution wouldn't make things actively worse, maybe the game-time would be useful to the player coming on?

Perhaps there are other considerations, though. If a substitution wouldn't make things actively worse, maybe the game-time would be useful to the player coming on?

Yes, definitely another consideration... and you certainly would if you were well infront...

...but hopefully 90 minutes qualifying for next round of the trophy on Tuesday will do our fringe players even more good.

1) MA needs to learn when playing bad his Capt should be changed as well, as a good example to his players and the Capt. Gotts was on bench.

2) 2 goals in 2 games not good enough.

3) Meet oponents on the ball and not sit off.

come on boys

1) MA needs to learn when playing bad his Capt should be changed as well, as a good example to his players and the Capt. Gotts was on bench.

2) 2 goals in 2 games not good enough.

3) Meet oponents on the ball and not sit off.

come on boys

Actually I don’t really think MA needs to learn anything from us amateur managers, he’s doing just about everything right. He trusts Bridcutt to protect his defence above anyone else in the squad and barring the odd mistake he does his job better than just about any player in League One. Gotts is no where near Bridcutts standard yet and that’s why MA doesn’t trust him to do that vital job.