Lincoln City 0-1 Accrington Stanley: What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Lincoln City 0-1 Accrington Stanley: What 3 Things Did We Learn?

I write this from a position of only being able to listen to the match on Saturday having been snowed in on the other side of the country. It is also from picking through comments of those who did attend :-

1. You cannot over estimate how much confidence affects players and teams performances. Think back a mere twelve months when we were all watching remotely and players were brimming with the stuff. Free flowing attacks were coming thick and fast. Players were attacking with vigour and shots were raining in from all angles, often resulting in some cracking goals. We are now in a reverse position. Even those players from last season are looking hesitant and taking that extra touch which shouldn't be needed. You can obviously cite the fact that we have a very different line up to last season, but conversely you can look at the win at Cambridge, possibly our only really great performance of the season, to know that this team can do what last seasons hero's did. They just need the confidence that one or two good wins and performances will bring.

2. Signing players is a lottery. Much has been made of the perceived poor business done during the summer. I honestly don't recall many making such claims on the 1st of August when we were bringing in players from Premier League and Championship teams. This is the crux of new signings. If they don't hit the ground running very quickly they are branded as a waste of money, yet so very often it takes time for players to settle into a different environment and way of playing the game. All new players need a period of adjustment and ours are no different.

3. The one thing I can say with certainty. If all you have is the pleasure of a Radio Lincolnshire commentary from a match, you really haven't got a clue what is going on for 85% of the game. Wittering on about a game coming up, or what is happening at another game in a league which does not affect us is no help when you are trying to grasp what is going on on the pitch in the match you are invested in

I write this from a position of only being able to listen to the match on Saturday...

This post shows 500% more insight about Saturday's game than 80% of the comments on the match thread from people who actually watched it.

So what I learned is that most people who attend games are clueless and about the only thing they are able to do is keep the score.

This post shows 500% more insight about Saturday's game than 80% of the comments on the match thread from people who actually watched it.

So what I learned is that most people who attend games are clueless and about the only thing they are able to do is keep the score.
But so much more insightful than people who don’t attend games, watch every game via a small screen but feel entitled to criticise the opinions of others who turn up in freezing conditions like last week while they sit at home surrounded by homely comforts. This is a fans forum, get used to it.

Last edited:
But so much more insightful than people who don’t attend games, watch every game via a small screen but feel entitled to criticise the opinions of others who turn up in freezing conditions like last week while they sit at home surrounded by homely comforts. This is a fans forum, get used to it.
Beep well said, and many travel a very long way in very difficult conditions and will do so again this weekend.

I was watching on tv and missed the centre half dig out his mobile from his socks and check his Facebook status. Any one watching live see this only you don’t get the full scope of what is happening on the pitch whilst watching iFollow

Ah, yes. you are a much, much better fan than me.

That is without question, I don't disagree at all.

Interesting that you took my over-the-top, highly generalised comment so personally though.

Ah, yes. you are a much, much better fan than me.

That is without question, I don't disagree at all.

Interesting that you took my over-the-top, highly generalised comment so personally though.
I certainly didn’t take it personally Brendan. I have a bad habit of needing to reply to something that’s just plainly wrong.

I certainly didn’t take it personally Brendan. I have a bad habit of needing to reply to something that’s just plainly wrong.

John, I'd like to know what's wrong about it, even allowing for the blatant exaggeration? Or @sedgleyimp's summation to which I replied?

For the purposes of full disclosure I'd read your player reviews on Saturday's game and I agreed with nearly all of it. I thought you were maybe a little harsh on Draper who I thought had done better than that, and a bit lenient with Griffiths - though it was only one mistake. So when we're discussing ludicrous over-reactions, that was not what I had in mind.

1. This team seems to not making any progress at all which is unusual for MA sides. If anything we look worse every game. Surely lack of confidence, (desire?), bad patch, injuries, poor form at the moment all that play part. If we're talking about team as whole though there is enough quality to be more competitive,to create more, to make some training ground practise work etc. In this aspect this is the worst team we had in last few years.
2. Signing injury prone players could be a very tricky business. Our captain, best player and more than likely one of the biggest earners averaging maybe 15 maybe 20 games per season in recent years. Not enough. Our best central defenders are very similar. That may be why they signed for us and if they are fit then great. I was over the moon when we signed them but there is very big chance that they won't be playing for big chunk of the season which may kill our chances for any success. Big fan of their talent but not sure if I would signed them again. Tricky.
3. Worryingly easy to beat us these days. Very average (at most) Accrington side didn't even have to break a sweat. All they did was standing high and waiting for our mistake. We didn't make even ONE single run behind despite them playing so high.. Lack of any sort of pace is simply painful. We got back in this aspect to the same point when MA took over. Actually it's worse now as back then we had good striker in Tyler and some width in Bruno and Harry.

Massive January window in front of us.