Lincoln at Home | Page 2 | Vital Football

Lincoln at Home

Toughest task I had was whilst on holiday on the Lizard peninsula. 15 miles to the nearest town, Helston, and had to persuade the barman to switch from the American football game they showing to let one single person watch Gillingham lose at home to Southend.
That’s actually incredible because I regularly used to stay in a little fishing village called Cadgwith back in the nineties.
I have an artist friend who used to let us use his place and he’d go to mine in Spain in return.
I wonder if you know it.

Apart from any income this is desperately bad news. We seldom win on live TV!

Plenty on the Gills facebook page saying that Gills seldom win on sky...

I listed....
Cardiff City 2-0
Wolves 1-0
Bournemouth 2-1
Bournemouth 4-1
Wigan 3-2
Watford 2-0
Tranmere 2-0
Rochdale 2-1
Shrewsbury 1-0

on top of that I am not sure if the play off wins against Preston 1-0 and Stoke 3-0 were live too?

What does this mean for Lincoln fan
Very sad - haven’t lived in Rochester since early 90s, but I shudder to think if the Bell, Prince of Wales, Who da Thought It, Denmark Arms etc are still in business. My best mate’s mum was landlady at the Carpenter Arms for many years.
Denmark long gone, Prince of Wales gone more recently. Whody still going covid permitting. Not sure about the Bell or Carpenters

That’s actually incredible because I regularly used to stay in a little fishing village called Cadgwith back in the nineties.
I have an artist friend who used to let us use his place and he’d go to mine in Spain in return.
I wonder if you know it.
I was holidaying in the house of a school teacher mate in St Keverne. He was born there and inherited it off his dad. Interestingly our friends of 20 years across the road from us moved to Coverack, a village 2 miles from St Keverne last week.
Don't know Cadgwith though.

Prince of Wales was my local for years when either the landord of landlady were Australian - pretty sure it was the land lady. It then got taken over by a bloke who was alright but thought he was Alex Fergusson managing the pub team. Number of times he said would Man Utd have lost that game - to which we all burst into laughter (being bottom of the combination league).

I also used the carpenters (before the POW) when a Gills made fan called Mick (I think) ran it . He was great and used to get a few Gills players over.

Both Bell and Carpenters are still pubs but whether they will survive COVID who knows. POW is flats now. Greyhound in Rochester Avenue long gone and the Viking Bill is now my local chines takeaway - unchanged inside its bizarre.

The George is my closest pub now but rarely use it. Man of Kent and the micropub were my choices pre COVID with the garden of the Eagle a favourite last summer.

Interesting to see what the post covid landscape will look like. I look at the George and the Huntsman and think they must be worth more as flats !

Thats good. ST holders get it but you can't buy a pass. Thats fair.

Wonder whether people that are not ST holders, nor Sky subscribers, would be prepared to pay more than the standard £10 for the game ? Say, £20 - with £15 going to GFC and a one-off £5 going to Sky ?

It`s quite right that ST holders should get preference in any ticketing situation but, thinking ahead, when GFC let`s fans back into the ground there would be punters like me, who can only attend a few home games, who`d be willing to stump up £20 `ish a time to watch the home matches via iFollow. (I don`t want to get into fiddling the inter-web locator, btw) ?

Wonder whether people that are not ST holders, nor Sky subscribers, would be prepared to pay more than the standard £10 for the game ? Say, £20 - with £15 going to GFC and a one-off £5 going to Sky ?

It`s quite right that ST holders should get preference in any ticketing situation but, thinking ahead, when GFC let`s fans back into the ground there would be punters like me, who can only attend a few home games, who`d be willing to stump up £20 `ish a time to watch the home matches via iFollow. (I don`t want to get into fiddling the inter-web locator, btw) ?

What about a NOW TV pass ? Only £9.99. Obviously no benefit to Gills but you get to see the game.

Toughest task I had was whilst on holiday on the Lizard peninsula. 15 miles to the nearest town, Helston, and had to persuade the barman to switch from the American football game they showing to let one single person watch Gillingham lose at home to Southend.

My best feat was getting Rochdale v Gills playoff game on in a pub next to Euston station a few years ago, which may not sound that big a deal.

I was on the overnight train to see my cousin in Aberdeen at 10pm, so went there straight from work an met a mate there for 5pm. There was nothing on the box then or advertised, but they did have Sky so I got the landlord to confirm that he'd show it and me and my mate got steadfast assurances that he would as we ordered food and got through about 4 pints before the match. Problem was that there was a big IPL match on that stated at about 7 and a load of Indians came into the pub and commandeered the TV. Having spent over 50 quid, we negotiated with the landlord that he'd still show the Gills match, but he said he'd have to turn it over just as kick off started. To be fair, true to his word, he did and about a dozen or so Indian chaps went ballastic - especially as me and my mate were the only people watching the Gills match. I wasn't going to be influenced by their polite suggestions that it be turned over and they left the pub and me and my mate enjoyed a glorious 0-0 before an all-nighter on the sleeper to Aberdeen.

My best feat was getting Rochdale v Gills playoff game on in a pub next to Euston station a few years ago, which may not sound that big a deal.

I was on the overnight train to see my cousin in Aberdeen at 10pm, so went there straight from work an met a mate there for 5pm. There was nothing on the box then or advertised, but they did have Sky so I got the landlord to confirm that he'd show it and me and my mate got steadfast assurances that he would as we ordered food and got through about 4 pints before the match. Problem was that there was a big IPL match on that stated at about 7 and a load of Indians came into the pub and commandeered the TV. Having spent over 50 quid, we negotiated with the landlord that he'd still show the Gills match, but he said he'd have to turn it over just as kick off started. To be fair, true to his word, he did and about a dozen or so Indian chaps went ballastic - especially as me and my mate were the only people watching the Gills match. I wasn't going to be influenced by their polite suggestions that it be turned over and they left the pub and me and my mate enjoyed a glorious 0-0 before an all-nighter on the sleeper to Aberdeen.
Hope the toilets on the train weren't shut.

Hope the toilets on the train weren't shut.

Was on the airtrain from Zurich to Budapest once and due to a system failure all the toilets were locked shut. Group of lads on there knocking back the cans. I always wondered how that turned out !!!!

Luckily just a short journey for me to a ski resort.

I remember going to the Rose in Rochester on a Monday night in the early 90s for an FA Cup tie on Sky (who had no other rights at that stage). We took the number of people in the pub fro 0 to 3. I think we lost a thriller to Brentford if I recall.
That were a great game, and the first time I watched Gills on t.v. I've got a feeling it was a 3-3 draw, with Neil Smith getting a goal for us. We lost the replay

That were a great game, and the first time I watched Gills on t.v. I've got a feeling it was a 3-3 draw, with Neil Smith getting a goal for us. We lost the replay

Yeah, that's right, ramager, I remember that game well. Pretty sure it was Neil Smith (one of my all time favourites) debut, and that his equalising goal came right at the end the game.