Life Re-evaluation - What Is / Isn't Important? | Vital Football

Life Re-evaluation - What Is / Isn't Important?

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
I was watching newsnight last night and they had three guests (on video link) talking about life, and a re-evaluation.

The one lady had got more into proper food and fitness. An actress was enjoying not running all over London to meetings and what not, and having some 'me' time and some 'quiet' in life. The press guy had come to the realisation he was doing things in life because he felt he had to, not because he wanted to. That was especially the case with him going to public receptions, a room full of a few hundred people, he had no real interest in but went out of duty. He said he was absolutely certain he was no longer going to do things like that.

I have touched on re-evaluation a few times. I'm going to ponder and post my own answer separately.

Villan57 posted in 100% Covid thread:

I can't help thinking there is a great opportunity to change many things because of this virus, every single person has been affected in some way and we all realise now what is really important, We have all cancelled sky sports, we all miss our families far more than football. Millions will lose jobs lets use this as a positive and change the way we live for good?
I'm not sure I'm articulate enough to put it into word but things have change and lets not go back to the old selfish ways

So I guess we are talking about

1) Have you come to any realisations about how you were living before?

2) Is your life going to be different after all this?

3) Anything you did that you won't do, anything you want to do more of?

Or do you think, as the newsnight section asked yesterday, if this will all become like a New Years Resolutions list, you start off with good intentions and go back to life as it was before?

Well we (Dawn and I) have realised we only need to shop once a week and only for the things we actually need. so to this end we will:-
1. Continue to do the weekly meal planner and the one shop.
2. Not stop off at TESCO on the way home for a browse and pick up loads of shit we dont really want or need.
3. Keep saving money, since we started the social isolation we have stopped going out to eat just because we can. £1200 better off so far over the last 6 weeks or so.
4. Never take for granted the time we spend with the family and friends, I dont just mean on the piss just going for a cuppa and a chin wag.
5. Keep sitting in the road with the neighbours and having tea and a chinwag we are lucky to have such decent people around us.
6. Not lose the respect for Key Workers and I dont just mean the NHS the binnies, people in shops and teachers etc

I think we will change and I think the changes will remain.

this will all become like a New Years Resolutions list, you start off with good intentions and go back to life as it was before?
:agree:

Many people will start off with good intent, but nothing really changes does it? We never seem to learn and will revert to the norm in no time.

Consumerism is indoctrinated in us and much as I wish people would take stock and make changes, they won't. Maybe I'm just too cynical?

Slowing down life, buying/having what you need rather than what you want, taking time out in nature, spending time with family and friends - all worthy aspirations but how many of us will really follow it through?

Just look at all the idiots ignoring lockdown and social distancing. We (not all of us, obviously, but the vast majority) are just too greedy, selfish and self-absorbed to care - as long as I'm alright Jack is the mantra most people seem to live by.

I don't want this to happen, of course not. But I'm pretty certain it will. People just don't know when to stop. When we eventually leave lockdown, I can imagine going on mental spending sprees to celebrate their new-found liberty - personal/household debt will rocket as people bung it all on the credit card.

But then the government will inevitably increase income tax and probably VAT to pay for the furloughing and more, and suddenly the wheels will fall off all over again and austerity will return in spades.

Sorry to be so negative, I just can't see people learning anything from all this, sadly.

I think we'll all be more hygiene conscious, most of us thought we were anyway but this is a whole new level. I now hate the smell of bleach

Personally, I'll spend more time with my family especially having missed two months of my Grandsons lives in which they have changed on a weekly if not daily basis.

I've realised I don't need a caravan in Wales and that the Welsh don't want me, they want my money though.

I only need to shop once a month and use the local shop for or a milkman for bread and milk. You can buy some really good meat online. Amazon is also my friend not just google

I'm hoping people can continue to work from home which has had a big impact on the environment and family life. Perhaps bosses have realised workers can be trusted to work that's a big hope I know. With less pollution, we will all be better off.

I imagine many people now realise how worthless their job is and will be looking for a more meaningful job, I hope so anyway.

One of my biggest regrets is having a job that although I loved it as it was basically a hobby job it really was not a worthwhile job. Must be great to be a Paramedic or Fireman etc you know what I mean I think.

Football is not worth getting stressed over is a big one, especially for me. I don't think I can change that as it is my main hobby. The PL and world sport needs a total rework, back to being just a game easier said than done . Jimmy Hill, Bosman and Sky have a lot to answer for

A Labrador is really my best mate.

Most of all I have learnt that you only get one crack at this life and I love to waffle on

Three simple things come to mind. Firstly, the health of my family always has been and always will be the most important thing for me.
Secondly, the period of isolation and absence of my much loved outdoor hobbies and activities has ironically proven to me that I can never be bored - there are far too many interesting things to investigate, research and get involved in through the technology and resources we have available.
Thirdly, AVFC and football generally has gradually slumped down the ladder of things I think about on a day to day basis. I am questioning why I am part of a fan base that feeds something that I believe to be sickeningly over inflated and over- hyped and out of control.
My re-evaluation means that I shall not be returning to Villa Park at least until a reliable vaccine is in place. That will probably mean a gap year for me and my wife who, in particular can’t afford to contract this virus. I’m sure that things will eventually get back to where they were but I doubt if they will for me. Which is a pity because we have great seats at VP. However, it does make it easier to think of letting go when we have had to suffer years of incompetence, our present incompetence unarguably shown by our league position.

Mine is an odd one really. Would love some great revelations but I was already going through a big period of change. Writing the book brought some thoughts into my head, but also the way the business / industry was going, we have a deal in place that was going to free up my time. Should have been an exciting time but this current situation took over from that (not a whinge, just a reality).

I am more used to working from home, gym at home, a lot of time alone with the obvious health flair ups. I think I understand the true value of life because of that, which is what many (?) are learning now maybe?

I do plan and had started to get out into nature more. Some of the not doing that has, over the years, been health led. But my plan to get into the woods, chill, enjoy the (hippy this) trees and just 'be' was happening, and will be done more and more once the restrictions are over.

I have a great relationship with my parents and do all I can for them, so that isn't a major change either, I've been doing their shopping and now we have a system, I've told them as the weather gets worse, or when they don't feel like it (80 and 81) I am more than happy to do that for them. So easy, I take two boxes, put them in the trolly, and off I go. No more bags for me, this is a great system! LOL Especially in Sainsbury with the mobile phone app scanner.

I was already cutting back, doing Aldi, plan to do more of that sort of shopping around, as I am at the stage now where if I am careful, I can be semi retired, or pretty much retired full stop.

The focus on food was underway, the last 2 years my flair ups kept getting in the way, it is difficult to think straight when exhausted. But doing the Musclefood DTU plan (in the fitness thread) has got me back in the right frame of mine and vibe. And my training is a constant, when my body allows.

There are other small things that I can do, but I can't say they are covid related realisations. Twitter for instance, and the Vital Villa facebook, I grew to hate and was moving away from. I like this forum (apart from when someone like the last few days wants to ignore the point you are making and just stamp over it, but that is far worse on social media) and enjoy the company. But twitter is a nasty angry place, I don't need it in my life and I'm going to be at best, arms length. I have the fear conquers all part, I must use that for the book etc, but I might just be off. The VV facebook bit, I have put at arms length and my own facebook, even more so through this virus, but even before due to Brexit, I have so many people unfollowed, it is more people that are close, don't post doom all the time, then training, nature, the national trust, the woodland trust, bbc nature and so on... it is a more peaceful and pleasant place.

All in all, I think I was heading in the right direction, this has just firmed up I am more than happy in the moves I was making and has re-enforced I don't need to chase wealth and business pressures now, I'm happy where I live, I own it which is magic, no more debt and mortgages etc.

I do want to give my parents a hug, mom especially.

Most special thing to happen during all this, was dad (we are men, we don't talk feelings) on his birthday texted me that I was a great son and said he loved me. Mom and me always express but men don't usually do they, so that was a major win.

I do need to work more at my inner peace and not get wound up, I am pretty good at it, but as per the example in 100% today, when I think someone is deliberately being obtuse or arsey, I should be able to laugh and move on, I did get to that point at one stage. So maybe I need to work more on that, or put some on ignore (difficult when you run the place really).

The one thing I am wondering about, is the football. I hate the PL, I despise the way people like Jack are worshipped and how they act (and now he's auctioned something, all of a sudden he's a god again) and how they are allowed to. I don't like the greed, the money, and so much more. I don't like the way some of the fans are so vile to each other and towards players, refs etc either. And my tie was really stretched when I was moved, because big money told me I had to move (my seat situation). I have enjoyed, once I got over the shock (I don't take well to change unless it is a planned change, can't help that, it is part of my dna) corporate, but the money is a lot and so I have a decision to make, depending on if there is a deal to be done to accommodate me and to satisfy the club, whether it is my time to break and watch from the armchair. I don't know with that. I do know I can't go where fans stand, at times it would be ok, at other times it would be agony. And I won't now go back to my old seat, I do realise how wet and cold I used to get and I'm not getting any younger.

So that is the main bit for me, the habit might have been broken, at the very least, I know I am no longer a slave to it. The 'I must go, it is what I do." is no longer valid. I'll go if and when I want, and not when I don't.

I do need to keep reminding myself of the 'don't argue with idiots' thing in life, and also my mantra that I got from my life journey in Malaysia in 2017.

I accept what is.
I let go of what was.
I have faith in what will be.

Peace !

Three simple things come to mind. Firstly, the health of my family always has been and always will be the most important thing for me.
Secondly, the period of isolation and absence of my much loved outdoor hobbies and activities has ironically proven to me that I can never be bored - there are far too many interesting things to investigate, research and get involved in through the technology and resources we have available.
Thirdly, AVFC and football generally has gradually slumped down the ladder of things I think about on a day to day basis. I am questioning why I am part of a fan base that feeds something that I believe to be sickeningly over inflated and over- hyped and out of control.
My re-evaluation means that I shall not be returning to Villa Park at least until a reliable vaccine is in place. That will probably mean a gap year for me and my wife who, in particular can’t afford to contract this virus. I’m sure that things will eventually get back to where they were but I doubt if they will for me. Which is a pity because we have great seats at VP. However, it does make it easier to think of letting go when we have had to suffer years of incompetence, our present incompetence unarguably shown by our league position.

One big thing there Pete is our seats are probably the best in Villa park and have certainly influenced me keeping my ST over the last 15 years as it's certainly not been the entertaining football! Not many have given up those seats since I managed to nail one.

I miss eating out. I think that was my hobby before the lockdown. That and football but I don't miss football. I miss fantasy football and the craic with my mates slagging each other off on Whatsapp much more than the real thing.

I've decided to be more sociable in future. I should hang out more. I'm going to do that at least once a week.

I want to get back to actually playing football. That will increase the social side of things too.

I really miss teaching in a classroom. Teaching online isn't half as good. It goes back to what 57 said about doing a worthwhile job. It was the thing I was looking for when I felt trapped in those boring office jobs after I graduated.

One big thing there Pete is our seats are probably the best in Villa park and have certainly influenced me keeping my ST over the last 15 years as it's certainly not been the entertaining football! Not many have given up those seats since I managed to nail one.

I know! I also go with 2 friends who are on the verge of retiring to the armchair as well. The loss of seat is a major negative but I can’t see this bug being sorted out for another 12 months so it may have to go 😢

Fascinating @Wicked Messenger re Villa. As you'll see from my ramble, that's where I am grappling!
It’s a combination of the virus which has put a nurse’s salary v. a footballer’s who I am helping to pay for in sharp focus. But the 140 million wasted (again) is more than I can take. As for nature, you can’t beat getting out in the wilds. I’m a birder but we’ve all got our problems!

I've realised I'm lucky that I have hobbies and interests, as it seems a few of my friends don't, and being stuck at home with the wife and kids is cracking them up. They can't wait to get back to work.

I've had no revelations as such, but it's made me enthusiastic for projects that were a bit on the back burner, as I was under pressure to finish a course and go straight into a job. Now I've got an extension and have been offered more courses as they are online anyway, and I'm going in a more creative direction rather than the IT stuff I was doing.

Maybe that's the revelation, I had become a bit sidetracked from the things that I'm genuinely interested in, and I realise how they are important to me and my happiness.

Interesting thread.

As someone who considered himself a work-a-holic (and believe me I did the hours!), not withstanding issues of how the industry has changed, it's taken me a week or two to adjust but having taken the decision to step back somewhat (front page) and really only do what interests me/gets me rambling instead of covering as much as I could - I'm far less stressed now and have no problems doing nothing during a day other than typing crap on here.

A month or so ago I was always permanently antsy if I hadn't covered as much as I wanted, and I'd work later to catch up with my own belief of what I should've done that day. The computer was turned on before the kettle of a morning to save myself some time.

Today (becoming my norm now), didn't bother logging on until gone 1pm. Written absolutely naff all although I played with a contribution elsewhere on the network and I've just sat here, reading the forum.

That is a massive difference for me....whether it lasts when proper news and football returns is open for debate, but even with it being a decision to step back, I thought I'd struggle far more than I have.

Always been a bit of a home bod , so staying in isn't a problem for me.

The one thing I have enjoyed is the slower pace of life and am far more relaxed because of it. Mrs Sir Dennis thinks it's because I'm not stressed about the Villa but the fact that I don't have to rush around in the morning to get to work , or come home and go out straight away for a committee meeting at the cricket club etc is a big change for me.

I must say I have enjoyed the weekends just pottering about in the garden and I don't know whether it's because I have nothing else to do or don't have to rush doing it but I feel like I could really get into it.

Not sure I could give up going to the Villa but at some point I think I may cut down on the away games and have more weekends at home. That would be the biggest change for me.

Interesting thread.

As someone who considered himself a work-a-holic (and believe me I did the hours!), not withstanding issues of how the industry has changed, it's taken me a week or two to adjust but having taken the decision to step back somewhat (front page) and really only do what interests me/gets me rambling instead of covering as much as I could - I'm far less stressed now and have no problems doing nothing during a day other than typing crap on here.

A month or so ago I was always permanently antsy if I hadn't covered as much as I wanted, and I'd work later to catch up with my own belief of what I should've done that day. The computer was turned on before the kettle of a morning to save myself some time.

Today (becoming my norm now), didn't bother logging on until gone 1pm. Written absolutely naff all although I played with a contribution elsewhere on the network and I've just sat here, reading the forum.

That is a massive difference for me....whether it lasts when proper news and football returns is open for debate, but even with it being a decision to step back, I thought I'd struggle far more than I have.

Yes, something, as you know, I shifted myself away from some while back, partly due to business reasons where I was needed elsewhere, but also same as you, not really liking the direction the industry has to move into, to keep the punters engaged.

I used to feel so much pressure to get back from a game, get straight on and do the match reports, and to be fair, the figures back in the day, were huge. But as the needs of the reader have shifted to shorter, snappier, somewhat more twitter reacts based, that subsided.

I now have very little feeling towards writing on football, I kept thinking I'd get the muse back, but I think I have moved on to other interests, like the book of poems I am working on (in the knowledge that poetry is a limited market, but I enjoy them and that has become much more important to me, for my own life).

It seems an awful lot are realising about the pace of life, doesn't it @sirdennis All this rushing around, and the obsessing about things like HAVING to get to games, as opposed to wanting to go. My sense of duty has definitely gone now, which feels great.

Interesting thread.

I don't know about all that. There has been a severe lack of Fieldy rants for some time.

Maybe after this parents will start appreciating teachers more. Yes it is a very very hard job. And we dont just have to teach 1 or 2 or 3. It's a class of 30. With massive targets, pressure, behaviour issues etc. Its a bloody hard job. Not just that but ontop of that putting on rewards and events that teachers wont get paid extra for arranging.... just do it for the kids. You would not believe the paper work involved in just taking a mini bus of children out for the day. It's ridiculous. If you want to take alot of pupils to a theme park which we did every year then the paperwork is like a novel.
Then you add the myth that we have all the holidays off... nope... summer school in 6 weeks summer hols. Revision classes during Easter and may holidays. Trips during half terms. Paper work completing because you just done get time during term time. Etc.
Then theres the staff who get child protection trained. Have to get qualified and then take on a case load of child protection cases. If your a child protection officer and something goes wrong in school you have to stay with that child until social services pick them up. I have been in school as late as 10pm waiting for this to happen. And does that grease your palm? Nope... doing the child protection role is totally voluntary.
This is just the tip of the ice Berg. Then you get parents moaning about the smallest of things often out of your control and just dont realise how stressful this career is.
After 14 years I came out of education totally in February. Maybe this will be a bit of a wake up call.

Always been a bit of a home bod , so staying in isn't a problem for me.

The one thing I have enjoyed is the slower pace of life and am far more relaxed because of it. Mrs Sir Dennis thinks it's because I'm not stressed about the Villa but the fact that I don't have to rush around in the morning to get to work , or come home and go out straight away for a committee meeting at the cricket club etc is a big change for me.

I must say I have enjoyed the weekends just pottering about in the garden and I don't know whether it's because I have nothing else to do or don't have to rush doing it but I feel like I could really get into it.

Not sure I could give up going to the Villa but at some point I think I may cut down on the away games and have more weekends at home. That would be the biggest change for me.

Do you think you'll continue to work from home more though mate or just revert back to travelling every day?