Liam Nash | Page 2 | Vital Football

Liam Nash

How old was Jack Marriott when we didn’t give him any game time and presumably concluded that he wasn’t good enough and wouldn’t make it?

His finishing isn’t bad.

How old was Jack Marriott when we didn’t give him any game time and presumably concluded that he wasn’t good enough and wouldn’t make it?

His finishing isn’t bad.

He was 19 and had loan spells at Woking (three times) Carlisle and Colchester as well and they didn't sign him either. Obviously a late developer.

The fact is he was under contract to a Championship team at the time (Ipswich) and is now with another one (Derby).

The only teams that Nash has earned a contract with before us are Hullbridge Sports, Billericay Town, Aveley, Great Wakering Rovers and Maldon & Tiptree.

This season, Dulwich Hamlet didn't give Liam Nash much game time.

The only players I recall making it big from such humble non league beginnings are Ian Wright and Stuart Pearce and how long ago was that?

I wish the lad luck but the onus is on him to work hard and learn if he is to bridge such a gap in class and make the grade.

I'm all for a bit of optimism and seeing the best in a player but let's get real. Nash will be 23 in January. At that age Marriott had scored 50 league goals for Luton and Peterborough. Apples and pears.

I just wonder who on this forum would agree with the Kent Online 'Dolman', who appears to be his family relative!!!

Where does this crap that becuse he scored goals for the dog and duck in the 200th tier of football, then it means he's bound to score plenty for gfc in league 1 if given a chance? My son scored 20 goals last season for essex commets u10s. Does that mean he must be given a chance by Lovell?
Scoring goals so far down in non league is not the same as scoring them in league 1. Glad that he's finding his level a bit. Sounds like he's destined for non league football though and thats not because lovell wouldn't give him a chance. Lovell didn't give him a chance because it was clear he was destined for non league football. Not the other way around.

Where does this crap that becuse he scored goals for the dog and duck in the 200th tier of football, then it means he's bound to score plenty for gfc in league 1 if given a chance? My son scored 20 goals last season for essex commets u10s. Does that mean he must be given a chance by Lovell?
Scoring goals so far down in non league is not the same as scoring them in league 1. Glad that he's finding his level a bit. Sounds like he's destined for non league football though and thats not because lovell wouldn't give him a chance. Lovell didn't give him a chance because it was clear he was destined for non league football. Not the other way around.

FFS Scally - sign AK Jr. now. Sort it out.

I just wonder who on this forum would agree with the Kent Online 'Dolman', who appears to be his family relative!!!
The same guy perhaps, who sat near me at Plymouth. He really liked Wilkinson, as a player; I suspect on that night's performance, he's gone even higher in the bloke's estimation.

Ooooh, was that me, Wayne?!

I enthusiastically and ironically cheered Wilko when he finally managed an attempt at a challenge. I was trying to take the piss but perhaps I went a bit OTT and gave the impression that I was a fan of his.

Or was there really someone there (and there were only 254 of us present) who really did enjoy Wilkinson's non-performance?!

I enthusiastically and ironically cheered Wilko when he finally managed an attempt at a challenge. I was trying to take the piss but perhaps I went a bit OTT and gave the impression that I was a fan of his.

Or was there really someone there (and there were only 254 of us present) who really did enjoy Wilkinson's non-performance?!

My 4 year old and 10 year old wander the house singing "dun dun du dun du dun, Connor Wilkinson" pretty much every day. They dont actually think much of his ability, it's just a catchy song! At one point my mrs (an arsenal fan) was singing it the other day as they'd put it in her head. I didn't know how to break it to them that Wilko had left! They still sing it though.

I remember Dennis Oli used to get an amazing amount of support despite being fairly awful, simply because his song was quality also.

The only players I recall making it big from such humble non league beginnings are Ian Wright and Stuart Pearce and how long ago was that?

It depends on what you define as "making it big", but Hess was playing non-league until he was 26. Obviously didn't make it as far as Wright or Pearce, but I personally wouldn't care about Nash not making it as big as those 2 if he had even half the career for the Gills that Hess had.

Not that I think he will, just saying that it is possible to have latecomers to league football who go on to do very well for themselves.

It depends on what you define as "making it big", but Hess was playing non-league until he was 26. Obviously didn't make it as far as Wright or Pearce, but I personally wouldn't care about Nash not making it as big as those 2 if he had even half the career for the Gills that Hess had.

Not that I think he will, just saying that it is possible to have latecomers to league football who go on to do very well for themselves.

Vardy has to be the most high profile example, surely? Wasn't he playing non-league for Fleetwood? Also, emailing was playing non league for Maidstone. Peterborough have got a track record of plucking players from non league also. Youre right though, saying he's not good enough for gills becsuse he's not going to go on to be as successful as one of those is kind of odd. He could be a Hess, a Jackson, a Curtis Weston or the like who all did a solid job at times.

It absolutely is possible for a player to make the step up in rare circumstances. But its simply not the case that all players are simply there because they never got a chance. Scoring goals is harder in higher leagues. You get less time on the ball to shoot. It's harder to get in scoring positions as the defenders are better and even if you manage to get a shot on target, the goalkeeper is then better also. Its all harder. Some rare cases people are good enough to step up. Nash clearly isnt, from Pennock, Taylor and lovell opinion. There's not exactly a host of decent conference clubs to take him on. If its clear he's quality then I'm sure more would be interested.

No not you but a guy who genuinely thought Wilkinson had quality but wasn't given the chance to show it. I remained tight lipped. I think we all feel Wilkinson has some good points, as shown at Portsmouth last season, but he rarely shows them.

Jamie Vardy?
Chris Smalling from Maidstone to Man United?
Grant Holt was still playing in non-league aged 22-23 before a league team took a punt.
Thinking of which, Simeon Jackson??
Charlie Austin from non-league to Swindon
Stan Collymore who was at Stafford Rangers before his move to Crystal Palace who were Championship at the time.
George Boyd was with Stimson at Stevenage and has played most of his career since at the top two leagues.
Andre Gray was banging them in in non-league before he signed and got promoted with Luton.
Jimmy Bullard also played non-league prior to signing to West Ham.

To my knowledge only Bullard, Holt and Gray in that list haven't represented their country. Ignoring the top 6-8 teams, you'll probably find the premier league is awash with players who spend their early years in non-league but you had no idea who they were until they made it big.

Jamie Vardy?
Grant Holt was still playing in non-league aged 22-23 before a league team took a punt.
Stan Collymore who was at Stafford Rangers before his move to Crystal Palace who were Championship at the time.
George Boyd was with Stimson at Stevenage and has played most of his career since at the top two leagues.
Andre Gray was banging them in in non-league before he signed and got promoted with Luton.

To my knowledge only Bullard, Holt and Gray in that list haven't represented their country. Ignoring the top 6-8 teams, you'll probably find the premier league is awash with players who spend their early years in non-league but you had no idea who they were until they made it big.
You forgot Stuart Pearce among many others. No-one denies that players can make it through the ranks; it's an irrelevance, we're talking about Nash. A good comparison could be Dwight Gayle - a prolific non-league scorer - who has done relatively well in top flight football.well

Jamie Vardy?

You forgot Stuart Pearce among many others. No-one denies that players can make it through the ranks; it's an irrelevance, we're talking about Nash. A good comparison could be Dwight Gayle - a prolific non-league scorer - who has done relatively well in top flight football.

You forgot Stuart Pearce among many others.

No he didn't. The comment that started this all off was from GillsBluenose saying the only players he could remember making it big after coming out of non-league were Stuart Pearce and Ian Wright. Would've been pretty pointless for Baghdad Rob to mention Pearce again, wouldn't it?

No he didn't. The comment that started this all off was from GillsBluenose saying the only players he could remember making it big after coming out of non-league were Stuart Pearce and Ian Wright. Would've been pretty pointless for Baghdad Rob to mention Pearce again, wouldn't it?
apologies for that, sorry.

I'd say Tony Book wins this one. Played for Bath City until he was 30, played a couple of seasons for Plymouth and then captained Man City to the league championship and played for them until he was 40. Now that's what I call a late developer.