Lewis McGugan | Vital Football

Lewis McGugan

Taylor82

Vital Squad Member
No doubting his talent. Scored numerous important goals for us. Top scorer one year. Goal of the season against Ipswich. You can work on weight and fitness.

What went wrong? A real shame, however.

Attitude, outside influences and consistency

Look at his career and you'll see he had a hot streak of 10-12 games every other season or so. His entire reputation is built on what he did in these hotstreaks

If he was half as good as he thought he was, the name Paul Gascoigne would be a mere footnote in English football history.

No doubting his talent. Scored numerous important goals for us. Top scorer one year. Goal of the season against Ipswich. You can work on weight and fitness.

What went wrong? A real shame, however.

You can work on weight and fitness if you can be bothered; not sure what he is going to do with his attitude.

Ironically Lewis in his prime (as fleeting as that was, even during matches), would have been a useful sub to bring on with our current squad when we are chasing games.
If he actually wanted to play he was easily premier league in terms of ability and eye for goal. Unfortunately he rarely actually wanted to do anything other than count his money.

As you say though, from the bench he could have been phenomenal for us with how we are set up.

Don’t think I’ve seen a player with more natural ability. His ball score skill was unreal and at times effortless. He unfortunately was lazy.

he’s also the best penalty taker I think I’ve ever seen. He never missed one for Forest and very penalty he buried. Great technique!

Not sure if anyone’s seen this below but it’s a great insight from Paul McKenna about Forest in his 2 years. Talks about Lewis a bit at the start and how the Forest squad were all like gangsters....

watch from 55:00 onwards

could pass, cross n shoot better than most of our crap now tho. Tell me 2how many players in our squad that genuinely do any of those basics?

After Taarabt he was probably the most exciting player in the Championship that season.
Shame he didn't have more heart and determination to make the most of his fantastic talent and do it for several years.