Levy speaks! | Page 6 | Vital Football

Levy speaks!

You answered this post better than I would have.

I look at Leicester's recent transfer strategies with envy, because it's the same strategy we once employed and served us well. Leicester are "phasing" well but also have solid plans in place for player losses. The loss of Maguire could have hurt them badly but nope, up steps Söyüncü.

It really has felt like we abandoned all our better approaches the minute we started to look like one of the big dogs and suddenly buying ready-made-improvements was our only goal, but without being able to compete financially.

It feels like Gedson, Sessegnon and Bergwijn are a return to this but unfortunately the financial risks are that much greater now.

Yep, they must be laughing all the way to the bank on Maguire. Such an overrated player and they got Soyuncu for £20m.

I do fear their spray and pray transfer strategy might come a cropper soon though. They keep selling their most valuable assets (4 seasons running) and somehow unearthing a player or two. The vultures are circling on a few of their best players again, they've probably got increased fixtures with CL next year and they will start to get their fair share of injuries. Not to mention Vardy nearer to his mid thirties than early thirties now. It's gonna be tough for them to cope next season, but they will have some serious fun and enjoy the journey.

As for us, I think our transfer strategy seems OK at the moment. We're back to buying players again and some will fail and some will succeed. We didn't end up with Vertonghen, Eriksen, Toby, Son etc without some real duds coming and going in parallel.

Levy is more interesting to safeguard “his track record of solid financial management” than help efficiently Spurs to win titles and trophies.

He is a good businessman but the worst ever chairman of a big football club like Spurs.
He has failed to win any major price in twenty years!

After twenty years under his chairmanship, the club is now in the same situation like it was ten years ago!
Unable to compete for a Cl place or to win a FA cup and with a strong need to buy a significant number of players in order to be competitive.

He should resign and appoint a new president of the club while he can keep busy with the financial aspects of the club.
Only such a move will provide a glimmer of hope that Levy and Co are ambitious with winning silverware with Spurs.

Also all those who are responsible for the scouting department should be replaced by better professionals who will stop buying soft, brainless, without pace and without a winner's character players.

Last edited:
If the truth was that the infrastructure projects will mean financial prudence for a period I could accept it. It may not be the reason though, it could just be incompetence.

Do we know who all the board members are? Am I right in saying not all the financial decisions rest on Levy's shoulders alone?

Do we know who all the board members are? Am I right in saying not all the financial decisions rest on Levy's shoulders alone?

Operating/capital budgets are set. The board would approve them before they are implemented. BNoramlly, after that, the board would stay out of the operational side of things.

Operating/capital budgets are set. The board would approve them before they are implemented. BNoramlly, after that, the board would stay out of the operational side of things.

You do know that our "board" has 3 qualified chartered accountants on it and none of them are Levy? He's just got a degree in Economics and Land Economy.

I'm sure they're all risk takers though :-)

Is BNormally our next transfer target from Ligue Un? :hehe:

But do we know who they all are? Mutter's has said about 3 of them being accountants but do we know them all? Is there a chance Levy is going to the board and saying 'Lets spend more money on new players' and he is getting told no?

Is BNormally our next transfer target from Ligue Un? :hehe:

But do we know who they all are? Mutter's has said about 3 of them being accountants but do we know them all? Is there a chance Levy is going to the board and saying 'Lets spend more money on new players' and he is getting told no?

No that would be N'bormally.

Hmmm. Not sure on the tenure of the board members but the financial "discipline" has been apparent since day 1.

USAFSPURS speaks - Hope you like what you are seeing. This once proud club that was on the flipping verge of greatness again has now crumbled. Enjoy your profit margin you bald headed bastard!!!

lol - I was expecting an article about Levy's failure as a football chairman. They obviously covered that first and then went back to the "anti-Jose" nonsense.

Pochettino's era obscured Levy's generally calamitous series of managerial appointments, of which Mourinho is the latest in a series of failures.

AND

It is hard to see a rosy future with Mourinho around the place. A decision that the entire episode with him has been a mistake would be better made sooner rather than later. He looks more like yesterday's man with each passing week.

The entire article is yet another cheap shot at our football club by the press.

lol - I was expecting an article about Levy's failure as a football chairman. They obviously covered that first and then went back to the "anti-Jose" nonsense.

Pochettino's era obscured Levy's generally calamitous series of managerial appointments, of which Mourinho is the latest in a series of failures.

AND

It is hard to see a rosy future with Mourinho around the place. A decision that the entire episode with him has been a mistake would be better made sooner rather than later. He looks more like yesterday's man with each passing week.

The entire article is yet another cheap shot at our football club by the press.
Completely agree. The article actually started out well and did a passable job of charting the decline of this current squad over the past few seasons while mentioning a few transfers we failed to get over the line.

But instead of delving deeper into our disfunctional transfer policy and tying that to Levy, it just veered off to being one of many articles that you aptly call the "anti-Jose" nonsense, and that's a shame.

Levy obviously gets a lot of the blame and rightly so, but it was Poch that decided against signing anyone in 2018.

Don't they do any home work before printing an article?

Also I don't miss Poch, couldn't stand him last season. He clearly engineered a move away. Of course the way he behaved and the way the team nose dived wasn't mentioned. :rolleyes:

Levy obviously gets a lot of the blame and rightly so, but it was Poch that decided against signing anyone in 2018.

Don't they do any home work before printing an article?

Also I don't miss Poch, couldn't stand him last season. He clearly engineered a move away. Of course the way he behaved and the way the team nose dived wasn't mentioned. :rolleyes:

Why would they mentioned any of the reality, the circumstances that led to this situation?

Come on let's be honest RD, we still have fans who just make stuff up with little or no understanding of what's happening at the club because it fits their view of everything.

They don't mention that we've now spent a net #200 mill over the last 3-4 seasons (which leads us to did we do it wisely?)

They don't mention that we broke through the glass ceiling and stayed there for 4 seasons, they don't mention how close we came to winning silverware under Harry and Poch - of course, all that matters to most in and out of the club is that we haven't won any silverware for at least a decade. They don't recognize that in the last decade with had Russian Oligarchs fund the chav and le arse, the oil arabs have poured money into a competitor, or that the 1:100 winners of the PL did so off the back of financial shenanigans - nor the suspect owners who've been done for fraud in their home countries and on and on.

Of course in most eyes, we should have won something no matter what or how they did what they did.

And of course, instead of having a club now poised to compete financially since the 1960's, where in recent decades we've had the smallest stadium and gate receipts - they look at the short term brick wall we have to punch through. So many think that Levy should have gambled and overspent as so many did and who then disappeared into the lower leagues blackhole, but in fairness might have won things which they could never sustain, but hey they can say 'we did it' and it was worth years in the lower leagues.

All they think is that instead of running the club we should have seen a multibillionaire stick his hand in his pocket and bought a cup or two before now, just so we can feel good about ourselves.

It won't surprise you that I don't subscribe to many of these views.

On made my views clear on Poch and what he was doing in the face of 8 transfer requests and my anger now is that Levy listened to him as he saw him as the second coming....

Levy has got many things wrong, but he has also put us in an incredible position to start dreaming of competing with the best of the best.

Sometimes there is a big difference between dreaming and reality.
A football club can't win titles and trophies without buying the appropriate players in order to build a balanced squad.
To achieve that, a club needs to spend money and someone who can provide that money.
Today, mostly there are billionaires who fulfill that second precondition.

Ιt is better to live in reality than to dream unfulfilled dreams in order to justify an unambitious to win titles and trophies on the field businessman.

Spurs need urgently a change in their ownership.
Twenty years were more than enough for Levy and Co to prove that they can win titles and trophies with the club.

The club could improve last five seasons but has failed to overcome that critical point where extra help was needed by the owners in order to win titles and trophies.
Levy and Co have proved that they don't have the ambition to make a little more extra effort in order to help the club to win silverware, the only measure of success of a football club.

Now it is more than urgent for the club to find new owners and take the risk that brings along a new ownership.

Especially when we talk about a club that has booked successes in the past under the motto: “It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low”.

The club needs owners who have different ambitions than the current owners and who will set new priorities for the popular football club.

Levy and Co can no longer hold the club hostage to their business plans.
Any additional time under Levy and Co is a wasting time for Spurs.

Sometimes there is a big difference between dreaming and reality.
A football club can't win titles and trophies without buying the appropriate players in order to build a balanced squad.
To achieve that, a club needs to spend money and someone who can provide that money.
Today, mostly there are billionaires who fulfill that second precondition.

Ιt is better to live in reality than to dream unfulfilled dreams in order to justify an unambitious to win titles and trophies on the field businessman.

Spurs need urgently a change in their ownership.
Twenty years were more than enough for Levy and Co to prove that they can win titles and trophies with the club.

The club could improve last five seasons but has failed to overcome that critical point where extra help was needed by the owners in order to win titles and trophies.
Levy and Co have proved that they don't have the ambition to make a little more extra effort in order to help the club to win silverware, the only measure of success of a football club.

Now it is more than urgent for the club to find new owners and take the risk that brings along a new ownership.

Especially when we talk about a club that has booked successes in the past under the motto: “It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low”.

The club needs owners who have different ambitions than the current owners and who will set new priorities for the popular football club.

Levy and Co can no longer hold the club hostage to their business plans.
Any additional time under Levy and Co is a wasting time for Spurs.

It's not for sale Ioan. What can we do about that? :shrug:

It's not for sale Ioan. What can we do about that? :shrug:

Some are still not in the land of understanding, they can't grasp our position.

For the last time; Joe Lewis is an investor in ENIC and has never directly invested in the club. Never said he was going and never has and never will.

Levy put all his family money into ENIC and is a minority shareholder in ENIC.

The club has built the academy/training facilities and the stadium, by re-investing the money that it's made year after year - this approach has led to two huge capital investments.

The owners have not taken a penny of capital out of the business. The only arguable criticism of Levy is how well he pays himself annually.

As Levy wasn't/isn't wealthy by club ownership standards and only will be when he a) takes dividends - that he could easily have taken or b) sell the club

He maintains a low risk / no gamble approach so the club which has ALWAYS been run strictly within the incoming cashflow without any major capital investment (which is what Sugar before him did and the previous owners before him) - the club has done what only one other has done and that is to invest around £1.billion plus in reinvested profits.

Those that don't get it and still don't is because they cling to the notion that billionaire owners should all act like lunatics for the 'glory of the club' - even though they can't.

Yes, of course, we could have invested a good chunk of that in players - but that doesn't guarantee success and would mean if we didn't win everything / anything in sight, the club - would like so many others would have collapsed and flown down the lower leagues (as so many others have done) into probable oblivion. High cost players demand high wages and our income could never compete with the likes of Manure, Bin dippers, le arse on a sustainable basis.

As it is, we are now building our revenues - (sustainably) and you can now see from N'dombele and loCo we can and will invest in top tier players moving forward (although of course, N'Dombele has yet to prove value for money for what we paid for him) - what most should recognize is that on our t/o £200 mill net over last few years is a substantial investment and after this year (God knows what the coronavirus will do to income) we will be able to invest around £60-120 mill p.a. once we all calm down again.

And for the last time - I know I have to keep repeating this, even new owners with new money would be limited to sums now that wouldn't make a single jot of difference into days market under UEFA's FFPR's.

Levy is and said he is 'fiercely ambitious' - as he said he was, he is also a Tottenham lifelong fan, but what he will never be is a gambler which is why years and years ago I labeled him penny wise pound foolish (which many have repeated since).

Levy and his family think in generational terms and Levy is determined to hand over a club that competes at the highest level for decades - in fact as far as he and his son can see, who I am certain is being groomed to take over.

Levy is one of that rare breed who will only spend what the business generates, that said on the footballing decision-making front the only one where I think he got it 100% for a good number of years is Poch.