Levy speaks! | Vital Football

Levy speaks!

Mopo said he didnt want to sign players and he was happy with the squad, now Jose is saying the same.. I don't believe either of them. How could a manager of Jose's calibre be happy with our defence ?
On the top 4 , yes there is no guarantee but if you spend and keep pace with your rivals you have a better chance. You create the opportunity rather than stifle it.

Ringfenced as part of the finance agreement .Trouble is our ringfence is too low to stay in contention with our rivals. I dont think anyone thought there was no money.....just not enough !!

As long as Jose and Levy have the right understanding on transfers then whatever BS they both spout to the media on the topic is just to be ignored.

I still think that until the futures of Eriksen, Vertonghen, Toby are sorted out, then we'll be in this transfer holding pattern. The only other variable could be Lo Celso signing Jan, summer or leaving altogether.

It's a good interview from Levy on a range of topics. Hopefully the start of a few focused interviews from him promoting the brand of the club rather than just a one-off.

Ringfenced as part of the finance agreement .Trouble is our ringfence is too low to stay in contention with our rivals. I dont think anyone thought there was no money.....just not enough !!

Levy is too smart to get choked by a fixed settlement; it will be a movable feast based on our revs and profitability; but as I have always said higher revs doesn't mean he or the club will throw prudence to the wind as that is a sure fire way to quickly lose control of finances.

As long as Jose and Levy have the right understanding on transfers then whatever BS they both spout to the media on the topic is just to be ignored.

I still think that until the futures of Eriksen, Vertonghen, Toby are sorted out, then we'll be in this transfer holding pattern. The only other variable could be Lo Celso signing Jan, summer or leaving altogether.

It's a good interview from Levy on a range of topics. Hopefully the start of a few focused interviews from him promoting the brand of the club rather than just a one-off.

The message here really was "against all the odds we built a World Class stadium and didn't have a billionaire to pay for it and now we can start to build for the future as an emerging elite club".

That isn't true. Liverpool, Wolves and Leicester have signed very good players that are within our budget.

The problem was Poch didn't have the ability in the transfer market.

He was extremely lucky to have a strong spine at the club which was mainly here before he arrived.

That kept us in contention when players were at their peak. When they started to decline and players wanting out Poch didn't know what to do.

I can't see that happening under Jose.

For 2 windows Poch decided not to sign players. He reiterated he had little to do with signings, his coach not manager comment backed that up. He also said words to the effect of.....he will work with the squad he is given.
Yes he would agree a list of potential targets but if he constantly had the list crossed out and were left with those at the bottom of the list the message is clear.

Poch's philosophy was "get me the players I want or don't bother and I'll work with what I have". The outside world understood it was the club's natural financial constraints that was hampering Poch's chances in the transfer market. He received a lot of sympathy from the wide football community.

Jose's was "trust me, spend big on these players and I'll win you the league". Jose's was way worse as he totally failed in what he said and he left a trail of destruction of old, overpaid players that don't contribute to the first team setup and some losses on player sales. Like Levy and his team, Woodward and his team were equally as culpable.

So arguably Poch's transfer reputation is higher than Jose's at this point.

So I'm not kidding myself that because Jose is on board everything will be OK. His best work at OT was with Shaw, McTominay, Lingered and Rashford and not his transfer business. He needs to prove to us that he can perform better in the transfer market. Ditto with Levy, Hitchen and the rest of the gang.

I dont think Jose will be able to overspend like he did before. As has been said....this is a chance for Jose to prove how good he is and I think he is relishing it.