Levy confirms Bonus payments go a long way... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Levy confirms Bonus payments go a long way...

Another shrewd move for Spurs?

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7524451">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

The latest meeting between the club and the supporters trust brought up an interesting fact about our wage structure, which hasn`t been officially revealed by the board before.

With the Times report last week about Toby Alderweireld`s contract situation, there has been more talk about the fact we are unwilling to pay the best salaries in the Premier League, but it seems that we do pay the best performance related bonuses out of all 20 clubs.

It is something that looks like a very shrewd move on Levy`s part. One of the most common complaints about modern footballers is that they don`t have to work hard to earn a lot of money. There are few incentives to play well, and this can lead to complacency and a lack of motivation.

With the club`s heavy emphasis on bonuses, we are rewarding our players for continuing to perform at the highest level. Performances over the last few seasons under Poch demonstrably show not only a manager who is getting the most out of the team, but also a group of players who work hard, with loyalty and teamwork at the heart of squad.

In effect, the bonus structure has a twofold impact. Not only are players incentivised to perform at a consistent level to be financially rewarded, it also weens out those personalities who may prefer a bumper basic wage to having to work harder to get their money. Some would love to be able to sit on a comfortable five-year deal without putting in any extra effort.

It means the squad we have are motivated to continue performing every week as bonuses offer a certain amount of meritocracy. Rewards are given for defined goals, rather than something more arbitrary like the player`s general value to the team.

Of course, this isn`t something that is restricted to football. Performance related pay is something that is part of almost every business sector, but it can be particularly potent in sport, where a player`s display can be marked and measured in terms of goals, assists and tackles. Although it is difficult to quantify how effective such bonuses can have on a team`s overall performance over a whole season, I do think Levy has made a good decision here when it comes to incentivising our team to perform.

Click here to join in the debate on the club forum.

Share article via email

Writer: White Hart

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7524451#ixzz58V50R3uH

I actually like it. Reward the players for actually playing well, etc...(what a concept)

Spursex - 1/3/2018 08:44

I am told, and believe my info is accurate that Toby's base payments would equate to over £100k if he signed the new deal, with bonus's he has the possibility of earning around 40-50% more than that in a decent year - go all the way in the CL or finish top 4 and he, along with the other players might earn considerably more.

He can get 150k base plus bonuses elsewhere. He knows it.

Taricco the yid - 1/3/2018 17:29

I am told, and believe my info is accurate that Toby's base payments would equate to over £100k if he signed the new deal, with bonus's he has the possibility of earning around 40-50% more than that in a decent year - go all the way in the CL or finish top 4 and he, along with the other players might earn considerably more.

Then let him leave, we will be fine without him.

USAFSPURS - 1/3/2018 17:33

Taricco the yid - 1/3/2018 17:29

Then let him leave, we will be fine without him.

I have always said toby would be gone this summer when we forked out so much on davinson sanchez. It was a lot of money and my thought process was levy knew he would get more back by selling toby.

The bonus scheme is good and probably a big reason we have kept our best players for this long.

However we are at a stage now where our best players can nearly double there basic and still get a top wack bonus.

Crazy that 100k a week basic plus bonuses isn't enough anymore. Greedy wankers