Letter to 11 clubs (including Forest) about gambling ads | Vital Football

Letter to 11 clubs (including Forest) about gambling ads

weejockmcplop

Vital Champions League
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55958315
Top British clubs have been urged to stop linking to betting websites from their social media channels because of the potential harm it could cause.

A group of 50 former addicts and others affected by gambling have written to 11 teams in the Premier League, EFL and Scottish Premiership.
They highlight how clubs offer match odds and links to betting sites when revealing starting line-ups on Twitter.

The adverts have also drawn criticism from some football supporters.

The letter, which has support from parliamentarians and leading clinicians, says the group is "distressed" to see this type of advertising, which is "difficult for those of us who are addicted or in recovery".

They also have fears it could influence children who use the social media site without any age controls.

The 11 clubs to whom the group has written are: Manchester City, Arsenal, Celtic, Leicester City, Newcastle United, Burnley, Watford, Norwich City, Nottingham Forest, Birmingham City and Coventry City.

The group has highlighted pre-match tweets which they claim "encourage" fans to place bets on their team and promote free bets with club gambling partners.

Premier League and English Football League (EFL) say their clubs comply with regulations, with the EFL adding its "mutually beneficial" relationship with the gambling industry is conducted in a "responsible manner".

But gambling sponsorship in football is currently being analysed as part of the government's review of the Gambling Act 2005.

https://the-bigstep.com/home/f/our-letter-to-11-football-clubs-regarding-direct-gambling

rs=w:1280

Watch a football match with someone who doesn’t like or watch football & watch their reaction to all the adverts. I just zone them out or have got used to it but they were astounded about the adverts, sponsors, advertising boards etc because almost all were gambling

Don't forget you also have FIFA video games training kids to gamble their parents money away and get addicted with its 'loot box' stuff.

Football and the gambling industry need to get the hell away from each other and do their own thing.

I don’t gamble, but that and sporting contests go hand-in-hand.

Will sponsorship seep out of the game if the betting industry was told it was no longer welcome?

I don’t gamble, but that and sporting contests go hand-in-hand.

Will sponsorship seep out of the game if the betting industry was told it was no longer welcome?

Of course it won't. As long as lots of people are watching, people will want to sponsor.

I do agree that sports and gambling go together, but gambling addicts and potential gambling addicts should be able to watch a match without being constantly bombarded with temptation.

The fact is that its got out of hand with the way advertising is now. I don't think its a question of gambling companies not being welcome, its more that they have to acknowledge the harm that gambling can do and work with everyone to maybe not be so brazen about trying to tempt people into it.

I don’t have a huge amount of sympathy with gambling addicts, as an alcoholic I’m aware of the irony of this but absolutely watching sport must be impossible if you’re trying to avoid it

There is also far far too much betting adverts, sponsorship etc.

RBS, Guineas, Audi, Experian, Disney +, Uswitch, Square space, Apple. Dove, O2, NatWest, BT, Allianz, Emirates, British Airways, IBM, Mitsubishi, IM, Persil

That’s an ad break & sponsors & advertising boards in the rugby on ITV, imagine an England Scotland game in the football there’s no way there’s be no gambling adverts absolutely no chance I’d put £100 on it.

Last edited:
RBS, Guineas, Audi, Experian, Disney +, Uswitch, Square space, Apple. Dove, O2, NatWest, BT, Allianz, Emirates, British Airways, IBM, Mitsubishi, IM, Persil

That’s an ad break & sponsors & advertising boards in the rugby on ITV, imagine an England Scotland game in the football there’s no way there’s be no gambling adverts absolutely no chance I’d put £100 on it.

Yes, the hypocrisy is fucking breath taking.

So people are quite happy that they allow advertisements from the Royal Bank of Scotland to be shown on TV and no doubt displayed on shirt fronts, but they complain if advertisements from Bookmakers appear?

This is the upstanding RBS, once under the stewardship of Fred the Shred Goodwin, who set up a special department to invent financial instruments to boost earnings.

The very same financial instruments employed by Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers prior to their demise and by RBS and Lloyds who needed government hand outs after the markets crashed; hand outs provided by the tax payer.

Taking money from mug punters is indefensible when Bookmakers do it, but when it's the Banking sector there are no mug punters, only responsible adults exercising choice.

If the Bookmaking fraternity offered their services as a retirement home to failed Politicians like the Banking sector does, this issue would not see light of day.

Yes, the hypocrisy is fucking breath taking.

So people are quite happy that they allow advertisements from the Royal Bank of Scotland to be shown on TV and no doubt displayed on shirt fronts, but they complain if advertisements from Bookmakers appear?

This is the upstanding RBS, once under the stewardship of Fred the Shred Goodwin, who set up a special department to invent financial instruments to boost earnings.

The very same financial instruments employed by Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers prior to their demise and by RBS and Lloyds who needed government hand outs after the markets crashed; hand outs provided by the tax payer.

Taking money from mug punters is indefensible when Bookmakers do it, but when it's the Banking sector there are no mug punters, only responsible adults exercising choice.

If the Bookmaking fraternity offered their services as a retirement home to failed Politicians like the Banking sector does, this issue would not see light of day.

Very fair comments