Let the transfer rumours begin | Page 4 | Vital Football

Let the transfer rumours begin

I believe that the loan system basically operates via contacts.
The more experienced the manager, the better contacts he will have at higher levels clubs.
From the players perspective, it’s about reputation.
If a young player shows higher potential than average, the home club will look to gain them experience in mens football.
This is make or break for many young players.
For example, a youth manager at say Arsenal will mention to Arteta that Medley is progressing well but needs a challenge.
So, he’ll ask if Medley will be in the first team squad.
If the answer is no, then Arteta would say to find him somewhere to gain experience and first team football.
The Arsenal youth manager will then speak to the player to gauge reaction.
In Medleys case, he came from Medway so would have no settling in issues.
Arsenal would contact SE and explain that they have this lad and would we like him as he’s keen to come.
Bloody right says SE.
I’ll picked him up myself.
So, deal done.
I expect we are contributing a minimal amount towards his wages.
With the Southampton lads, I heard it was £500 a week so I’d expect similar.
It should be a win win, assuming he makes the starting eleven.
We’ve had quite a few loanees who hardly get a kick before they go back so it’s always a gamble.

Central defender Omar Beckles has rejected an offer from Shrewsbury Town, where he`s been for the past 3 seasons, and is now available. He`d be a good squad edition for the Gills and an experienced shoulder to lean on for Medley and Tucker ?

This is what a Southend supporter said about Arsenal loaning out players
A fee for the loan, to fine us if he didn’t play, paying x amount of his wages. Just isn’t viable for 99% of EFL clubs atm

The payback is that we will develop their young players so I doubt much money would change hands.
Didn’t with Southampton anyway.
As long as we don’t send them back broken, the deal is in their interest.
Any league one side can sign players for fun.
There’s no shortage of footballers.

Kyle Dempsey rumoured on Twitter (EFL TransferTalk).

24yo ex-Fleetwood, Peterboro (loan) and Huddersfield midfielder. Only 5”10’ so probs b/s.

“Gillingham are set to beat competition from a number of fellow league one clubs for the signature of former Fleetwood and Peterborough midfielder, Kyle Dempsey #Gills”

Last edited:
I’ve seen Kyle Dempsey’s name pop up before this so this may have legs. If it does there’s something not right, he won’t be cheap. He was being scouted by championship clubs back in January and I think I read that Hull want him. If we pull this off then it’s a massive coup! Money surely must’ve been made available from somewhere in that case?

I’ve seen Kyle Dempsey’s name pop up before this so this may have legs. If it does there’s something not right, he won’t be cheap. He was being scouted by championship clubs back in January and I think I read that Hull want him. If we pull this off then it’s a massive coup! Money surely must’ve been made available from somewhere in that case?

Now, I don’t know about the Championship clubs, but I wonder if the salary cap is starting to have a little effect on the high spending Div1 clubs?

Scouring around Fleetwood fans opinions, there’s more than a few stating he’d probably depart to Champ or “top 6” League 1 side. This was the view start of last season and in the Jan window. I assume Dempsey is just out of favour with Barton? He tried to sell him last year, loaned to Peterboro in Jan and then released.

Maybe some of those higher L1 sides can’t offer the wages now that they would have done before the cap, and we might therefore come into calculations.

I must admit, he might not be a world beater, but he sounds a lot better than the caliber of player I thought we’d be getting in permanent.

Bear in mind, this rumour may be all b/s.

Now, I don’t know about the Championship clubs, but I wonder if the salary cap is starting to have a little effect on the high spending Div1 clubs?

Scouring around Fleetwood fans opinions, there’s more than a few stating he’d probably depart to Champ or “top 6” League 1 side. This was the view start of last season and in the Jan window. I assume Dempsey is just out of favour with Barton? He tried to sell him last year, loaned to Peterboro in Jan and then released.

Maybe some of those higher L1 sides can’t offer the wages now that they would have done before the cap, and we might therefore come into calculations.

I must admit, he might not be a world beater, but he sounds a lot better than the caliber of player I thought we’d be getting in permanent.

Dempsey is currently a free agent, out of contract. Rumoured to be of interest to Sunderland and Hull. He's a very good midfielder and if Gills manage to sign him we'll be genuine promotion runners.

Dempsey is currently a free agent, out of contract. Rumoured to be of interest to Sunderland and Hull. He's a very good midfielder and if Gills manage to sign him we'll be genuine promotion runners.

Just been chatting to a Fleetwood fan who reckons they offered him a new deal but he left because he’s after Championship football.

If true, that must put us out of the equation, unless the Championship interest is just not there now.

Just been chatting to a Fleetwood fan who reckons they offered him a new deal but he left because he’s after Championship football.

If true, that must put us out of the equation, unless the Championship interest is just not there now.
Interesting, OSK. Maybe we'll find out tomorrow, we're apparently announcing a new signing Monday.

The salary cap is for the overall squad, not for an individual.
The smaller your squad, the more you can pay an individual player.
If we have a squad of say, 18, and 5 of those are loans, then the big money is split between 13 players. Teams like Sunderland have huge squads

But we'll be in the championship this time next year

We are
If we have a squad of say, 18, and 5 of those are loans, then the big money is split between 13 players. Teams like Sunderland have huge squads

Going to happen that a club isn’t going to pay as an example £8,000 a week on a players wages when they could get 4 players on £2,000 each!

That sounds about what I would expect possibly one more than 14 signed players if we can run to do what he said he might do.Which was to send Walsh out on loan.Evans will want the lad to be ready in case he is able to take over when Bonham's contract is up.The only way that can happen is with a loan .He could then use the loan system to replace Walsh for the season or even six months .A reserve keeper would not cost massively on loan.If Walsh is not able to go out and play games it is hard to see him ever taking over.Be a shame to lose him because we did not give him a chance. Let him prove he is good enough if he can't do that on loan then no point in having him hang around a few more years.
I would also expect many of the youth lads that played at the end of the game to get squad numbers and be put on the bench when required.

Last edited:
Is he defensive midfield? If not, his stats are piss poor. 6 goals in 197 career appearances and 1 assist last season (less than Baz Fuller and Tomas Holy):
https://www.sport.de/fussball/england-league-one/assists/

Stats help but should we really view them as the be all and end all? Not sure we should. Dempsey is a Central midfielder who can also play wing and forward. He`s 24 and highly rated, Fleetwood have offered him a renewed contract. If he comes to GFC it would be a bit of a coup and the rest of L1 will be taking GFC very seriously.