LEO DAV SILVA LOPES | Page 2 | Vital Football

LEO DAV SILVA LOPES

thing is there one was a free and the other cost a fair bit of out buget this season

As I say, given the opportunity, the one that cost a fair bit may well prove to be a shrewd buy and the free transfer could go on to make us some money if he breaks into the team and proves himself. We have to trust that PC knows what he is doing in this instance or until we have an opportunity to see what the players have to offer when their chance comes.

But if Lopes is considered a right back and Byrne is already on the bench why would you include a second RB instead of an attacking mid?

If Lopes is a central attacking midfielder then fair enough but we've shown no intention of using him there.

It's time to return to a first team, a reserve team and then a A and B side.
Squad players could have a regular 90 minutes every week in the reserves.

Critiquing players on a forum is perfectly acceptable, if you don't agree with someones assessment then provide counter evidence to challenge that view. It's no wonder this forum is on its arse, too many snowflakes around dictating to others what they can and can't discuss, it's becoming tiresome.

Defending players who’ve not yet been given the chance to play a minute of football at league level is also perfectly acceptable.

‘Snowflake’ ? What is this, Reddit.com?

If it had been up to the Wigan Athletic fan base, players like Rodallega, McArthur, Maloney and Massey to name a few would’ve all been thrown on the scrap heap within months of them joining the club - long before they reached their peak form, which can obviously take time due to an endless number of different circumstances.

Clearly, the staff will have tailored a plan to help Lopes progress - perhaps he has an injury issue or fitness problems.

Maybe due to being a teenage prospect, the management staff are holding back for a couple of months to ease him into first team action to prevent him from flaming out. There’s only so many spots on the bench anyway, and Cook highlighted the need to have players in depth right throughout the squad as a key area of priority over the summer.

The squad is competitive enough to enable the staff to take a careful and more methodical approach with some of the fringe players’ progression rather than rushing them in. I think Cook’s coaching staff have done enough over the last year to earn our trust in how they manage the players at their disposal.

Last edited:
Defending players who’ve not yet been given the chance to play a minute of football at league level is also perfectly acceptable.

‘Snowflake’ ? What is this, Reddit.com?

Again you've failed to read what was written. No where did I say no one should defend a player whose yet to play for us - I actually said they should do if they felt the need by providing a counter argument.

As I recall, no one is writing off Lopes. What they are questioning is whether spending money on a player who cannot yet contribute to the first team is a wise use of limited money. Something entirely different.

Again you've failed to read what was written. No where did I say no one should defend a player whose yet to play for us - I actually said they should do if they felt the need by providing a counter argument.

As I recall, no one is writing off Lopes. What they are questioning is whether spending money on a player who cannot yet contribute to the first team is a wise use of limited money. Something entirely different.
correct

The only way a player improves is playing football , the difference in 2nd team and championship is massive.
If he gets in the side he will need half a dozen games to improve fitness and to adjust to the pace of the game.
FA cup is his only chance this season i think

But Lopes is contributing MiW, he is in the first team squad, training daily and pushing other players for their first team place, the fact that he doesn't make the bench is probably down to numbers not ability. We just don't know.

I'd argue it's more down to ability than numbers. He he was good enough he'd be in the matchday squad every week. It's probably odd for him going from playing every week to the very occasional development squad game, I'm not entirely sure how we're developing him in that way as he'd be better off out on loan getting experience and minutes under his belt.

I'd argue it's more down to ability than numbers. He he was good enough he'd be in the matchday squad every week. It's probably odd for him going from playing every week to the very occasional development squad game, I'm not entirely sure how we're developing him in that way as he'd be better off out on loan getting experience and minutes under his belt.

Agree MiW ......& I reckon we'll see him go out at some point. Maybe the reason why this hasn't happened earlier is because Byrne was still out, so he was kept as cover.

His ability may be on a par with the player in possession of the first team place but Cook does not rotate squads, he likes consistency, therefore it is equally possible it is down to numbers. We just don't know.