LEO DAV SILVA LOPES | Page 3 | Vital Football

LEO DAV SILVA LOPES

If it had been up to the Wigan Athletic fan base, players like Rodallega, McArthur, Maloney and Massey to name a few would’ve all been thrown on the scrap heap within months of them joining the club - long before they reached their peak form, which can obviously take time due to an endless number of different circumstances.

Clearly, the staff will have tailored a plan to help Lopes progress - perhaps he has an injury issue or fitness problems.

Maybe due to being a teenage prospect, the management staff are holding back for a couple of months to ease him into first team action to prevent him from flaming out. There’s only so many spots on the bench anyway, and Cook highlighted the need to have players in depth right throughout the squad as a key area of priority over the summer.

The squad is competitive enough to enable the staff to take a careful and more methodical approach with some of the fringe players’ progression rather than rushing them in. I think Cook’s coaching staff have done enough over the last year to earn our trust in how they manage the players at their disposal.
You can also include Dan Burn in that list, as he was beyond poor according to some people. Yes he took a while to bed in, but once he did he proved his pedigree, patience and understanding is needed with some players

I'd argue it's more down to ability than numbers. He he was good enough he'd be in the matchday squad every week. It's probably odd for him going from playing every week to the very occasional development squad game, I'm not entirely sure how we're developing him in that way as he'd be better off out on loan getting experience and minutes under his belt.
Given his age he may well be going through a personal training regime to bulk up and shape him into the player we want. He strikes me as someone who, with the correct training, could play in multiple positions given his raw talent.

Hopefully, if Morsy's red card isn't overturned, we get to see Leo on the bench tonight. I am excited to see him play as I was on holiday for the Rotherham cup match so haven't seen him properly apart from 20mins at Tranmere.

Given his age he may well be going through a personal training regime to bulk up and shape him into the player we want. He strikes me as someone who, with the correct training, could play in multiple positions given his raw talent.

Agree Studds40, maybe doing the same that they did with Massey over the summer and getting him a bit more bulked up! Certainly did the trick with Massey

Hopefully, if Morsy's red card isn't overturned, we get to see Leo on the bench tonight. I am excited to see him play as I was on holiday for the Rotherham cup match so haven't seen him properly apart from 20mins at Tranmere.

He is playing for the development team this afternoon so won't be on bench tonight

Apparently Leo had a good game in the developement squad on Saturday against Grimsby, having a hand in both our goals in a 2-2 result.

I note Macdonald also played in today's game. Seems to be the forgotten man. Not quite sure who is furthest down the pecking order?