LEO DAV SILVA LOPES | Vital Football

LEO DAV SILVA LOPES

walgarthjohn

Vital 1st Team Regular
Why did we sign this young lad cant even make the bench Is the lad getting any game time at all this club realy makes some strange signings

Can only assume that we think he is going to be a top player but isn't ready yet.

I saw him once on tv before we signed him and thought he was awful, thought Peterborough had a lot of good players who i would've taken but he wasn't one of them. The Peterobough fans thought he was rubbish too, but clearly we've seen something in him that makes us think he's going to develope into more than he currently is. But i did think with our budget being limited 900k on one for the future wasn't what i'd have done.

But i guess time will tell.

He's young so arguably has potential. However it did seem odd to pay a million for him when he isnt good enough yet for the first team and we struggled to get other players in. Odd signing.

Same goes for Naismith, 3 year contract for a 26 year old who's played only one season at the level below and can't even make the bench. Utterly pointless waste of a salary. Mcmanaman has fitness issues - always has- so again it was odd we recruited him given the emphasis Cook places on that aspect of the game.

It's what we do well. We have it off to a tee. This phenomenon probably started with Delort and Riera and others that season.
Bogle was another and more recently Cole and Walker.
Like I say this is something we are brilliant at. We excel at it.

The other thing we are brilliant at is moaning at the first sign of something not going to plan.
We lost a game and didn't play well, it happens.
3 of our current best players did not play (2 on bench)
We have 2 games in 4 days this week to make up for it.
Learn from it and move on, just because some people don't like certain players doesn't mean they are poor players.

I bet if you looked back there were similar conversations after we signed McCarthy and McArthur and we didn't see either for about 6 months.

Sometimes players need time to settle in and step up to a higher level so we have to just wait and see.

The fact Lopes has been used mostly at right back for us - a position that wasn't considered his natural one at Peterborough makes me think there is a good chance we have bought him to convert him into a wing back. Since at the moment we are exceptionally strong with James and Byrne in that area it's probably not surprising he's not got a sniff if that's the area.

We have wasted fortunes on players we've never used but let's not throw the lad in that pile just yet.

The other thing we are brilliant at is moaning at the first sign of something not going to plan.
We lost a game and didn't play well, it happens.
3 of our current best players did not play (2 on bench)
We have 2 games in 4 days this week to make up for it.
Learn from it and move on, just because some people don't like certain players doesn't mean they are poor players.
Certain people not liking certain players???? Whats that remark about?

Critiquing players on a forum is perfectly acceptable, if you don't agree with someones assessment then provide counter evidence to challenge that view. It's no wonder this forum is on its arse, too many snowflakes around dictating to others what they can and can't discuss, it's becoming tiresome.

As long as I have watched Latics, fans and supporters have had opinions on players, selection, effort, style, ability etc etc. It's what we have always done on the way to Springfield, in the pub before the game, at home, in the pub after matches and nowadays via social media.
It happens at every club in the land. You forgot to add Roberts to that list too.
With your list it isn't just about being golden boys either. It's more a matter of why any of them were signed in the first place. Only Massey has had critism over performance and he has bounced back fantastically.
Vaughan and McMannaman below par for Sunderland's relegated side last season. Naismith three year contract and never played at this level before. Walker couldn't get in our league one side. Bruce and Roberts couldn't get in that same side yet given another year at an higher level. Windass only played at League 2 level in England.
Kenny with respect most of these players are probably going to be handy squad players to use for cover but it's questionable whether they are going to be regulars. I don't think fans opinions are at all about whether they are liked it not.

Does it really matter what level players have played at in the past? If it did how many of the very impressive Brentford team yesterday would have been playing for them?

more than you

Well if you had been to games you would have seen that the standard is no problem for a young lad to find his feet at a new club, what would you rather happen, sit unused on the first team subs bench or playing regular second string games?

Well if you had been to games you would have seen that the standard is no problem for a young lad to find his feet at a new club, what would you rather happen, sit unused on the first team subs bench or playing regular second string games?
new to me that they play on the same day this lad played lots of football at Peterbrough

The problem is that a maximum of 14 players can play in any one game, but you need a squad of double that amount to compete for a season. There will always be players who don't make the matchday squad, but they are as important as the regulars who make the first eleven.

They are the ones who keep the others honest. They are the ones pushing for the spots in that starting eleven that make the incumbent push himself harder to keep his place. They may only get their chance due to the injury or suspension of another player and so we might not see much of them all season, however that doesn't mean that they are not good enough for the first team, it just means that the player in that spot is better in the managers view.

So for us to say that a player is not up to standard is, in my view, short sighted as you can only judge a player after you have seen him play a number of times in a competitive game, and Naismith and Lopes have not been given that opportunity to date.