Leicester v Aston Villa - Match Thread - Monday 9th March, 8pm | Page 2 | Vital Football

Leicester v Aston Villa - Match Thread - Monday 9th March, 8pm

We need to set up as an attacking team now as 7 full months has shown we cannot defend well and the current system/ tactics don't work.
Very frustrating as player for player we are marginally better than those around us but we aren't setting up right

We need to set up as an attacking team now as 7 full months has shown we cannot defend well and the current system/ tactics don't work.
Very frustrating as player for player we are marginally better than those around us but we aren't setting up right

There’s no right answer and it’s all subjective like most things, I think trying to be attacking too much has got us into this situation - albeit we’re only 4-5 points off where I’d like to be it that fine margin piece.

We could go out and attack, try and get the odd 3 points against the top sides but recent history doesn’t suggest that ends well.

For me, it’s about keeping the points tally moving as best we can away against the top teams and a point away from home isn’t bad, so I think we need to be more cautious. I’m not saying defend, but we need to be better at the back and that starts with the two lines in front of the defenders, and knowing when to drop deep and when to attack.

We’ve tried the high pressing attacking game, it’s hard enough with Super John Mcginn in the side and it’s a waste of time without him, we’ll get picked apart.

Last edited:
We can’t defend however many we put in defence. We were better defensively at the start of the season and I’m sure Dean will stick to 4 at the back after Sunday. The only trick up his sleeve he has yet to play is two up front, Davies and Samatta but he will probably wait till last 20 minutes for that which might be too late.

What we also should bear in mind is that at the start of the season with 4 at the back we had Wesley and the ball kept coming straight back. At least with Samatta he does hold it and can get midfielders advancing.

We can’t defend however many we put in defence.

Its not the number of defenders at the back its the mentality of the whole team to defend as a unit. If your midfield is weak as piss like ours then teams just pass through it and get straight at the back 3/4.

If SJM is back fit then I'd go 3 in the middle - Nakamba, Jack, SJM. I'd also be tempted to replace EL Gash and Trez with Targett and Elmo because at least you know they're better at putting balls in the box for Samagoal who thrives on crosses, and they will cover the fullbacks.

We have to play tighter and forget this idea we're going to play so damn open and easy to score against and consequently beat.

I'd go -

Nyland

Freddie Engels Mings Hause

Elmo SJM Jack Nakamba Targett

Samagoal

Back to business in the Premier League a week tonight, when we take on Leicester at the King Power.

A performance like yesterday will put us in with a very big shout while the Foxes will be looking for revenge after we dumped them out of the Carabao Cup.

Thoughts, fine folks?

Unbeaten against them in the last two, we put in a fantastic performance on Sunday and deserved more, we have an almost fully fit squad and a return to 4 at the back.

Leicester are on a dire run of form, Vardy doesnt look fully fit and hasnt been firing, they're still fairly comfortably sat in the top four so might have an element of cruise control about them.

A lot of things point to us getting something, but you never know which Villa are going to show up away from home so I won't be counting my chickens.

Mbwana has got his eye in now and if we play Targett and Elmo he will get the service that he desires (and deserves). He showed at Wembley that if you give him the chances he will score.
No final score prediction but Samagoal will score

I don't fancy us.
Too many errors. OK we put
a shift in against them at VP and city at Wembley. But our defence and midfield are lightweight at this level. That chelsea kid tonight showed more than our middle two have all season. Unless Nyland or reina have an out of thIs world game or two it's curtains in the next two and 6 points adrift of safety by the end of march.

Play like they did vs Southampton and I will be very unhappy, if they show some fight like they did in the Shiteh game which is the least they can do they might get a result. I think it's time for Dean Smith to grow a pair of balls and go 442 and bring young Vassilev and Barry into the starting squad as they seem head and shoulders above El Ghazi and Trez, if McGinn is fit I would have a midfield duo of Super John and Super Jack, left side I'd actually put Hause at LB and push Target to LM or have Target LB and Vasillev LM, right hand side either Elmo or Freddy at RB and have Barry RM, forwards I would have Samatta and Davis or Samatta and Vassilev.

Play like they did vs Southampton and I will be very unhappy, if they show some fight like they did in the Shiteh game which is the least they can do they might get a result. I think it's time for Dean Smith to grow a pair of balls and go 442 and bring young Vassilev and Barry into the starting squad as they seem head and shoulders above El Ghazi and Trez, if McGinn is fit I would have a midfield duo of Super John and Super Jack, left side I'd actually put Hause at LB and push Target to LM or have Target LB and Vasillev LM, right hand side either Elmo or Freddy at RB and have Barry RM, forwards I would have Samatta and Davis or Samatta and Vassilev.

Come on SSV, Vassilev and Barry have no track record whatsoever. Are they going to be the next two players we destroy with expectation - I'm 40, I'd still look good in my unfit state against 18 year olds.

Come on SSV, Vassilev and Barry have no track record whatsoever. Are they going to be the next two players we destroy with expectation - I'm 40, I'd still look good in my unfit state against 18 year olds.

Or at least have them come off the bench as they both look like live wires, would be an option to run the tiring opposition ragged, I'd much rather have either of them come on the pitch instead of Drunky Drinklager. After all as has been said, if you're good enough you're old enough.

That I can agree with - at least in the case of Vass. Barry looks promising but he couldn't get near the Baggies side, so he needs time yet (he's barely through pubity). Both in fairness needs loans, but at least from what we've seen of Vass he has energy.

Neither are going to change points this year though and neither play in Drinkwater's (to give him his proper name) position.

And can we please lose the Sun entitled headlines on Drinkwater....we don't refer to God as pissed up centre half do we? What about Jack? And we're talking about an incident where he was attacked....we're better than Twitter mate.