Leicester v Aston Villa - Match Thread - Monday 9th March, 8pm | Page 4 | Vital Football

Leicester v Aston Villa - Match Thread - Monday 9th March, 8pm

Even before the results of the games of the other teams like us that are facing the threat of relegation in the last week of prem football I was sure we were going down and after last week's shock results involving relegation-threatened teams, my fear of us going down has got reinforced.

That Watford win vs Liverpool was the most shocking obviously. They not only beat them, they fuckin hammered them ! All the other teams around us play football the right way which gives them hope as they just need to focus on the defence only, whereas we can't even pass the ball, defenders and midfielders are unreliable, and lastly we have players like El Ghastly who you do not want when in a relegation survival fight.
Norwich play better football than us.
The question will soon be not whether we go down. ....but whether we finish bottom.
And all this rubbish about smith doing a great job with 'limited' resources. You could say that about some of the hated/disliked managers that went before him....mcshite...Garde. ..lambert. ...sherwood etc.
How much money or time did they have? And most of them at least kept us up...as bad as we were.

Samagoal will score but not with El G or Trez in the side, El G got lucky with Stones falling over. As has been said, put Targett into LM and play Taylor behind him, he doesn't give it away like Hause does. On the right put Elmo in front of Fred, both pairings will cover each other when we don't have the ball which when Jack plays down the left we are exposed.

Nakamba and Konsa in front of the back 4 with Jack free to do his thing in behind, Hourihane & Luiz good options from the bench.

Thought El G did fine. He created that goal through persistance. He put pressure on Stones, and when Stones fouled up he did well to get to the ball, and put a great cross in. Thought that was his best match for us. His problem is keeping up the pressure, but if does that he'll be worth his place.

Thought El G did fine. He created that goal through persistance. He put pressure on Stones, and when Stones fouled up he did well to get to the ball, and put a great cross in. Thought that was his best match for us. His problem is keeping up the pressure, but if does that he'll be worth his place.
Yeah I agree. Definitely one of his better games. Still not his biggest fan but he has the odd game where he shows a lot of talent.

As in the cup game this will all be about trying to out-battle them and keeping Maddison and Vardy quiet.

I'm just not sure we have it in us any more. Confidence is shot. Nakamba and Luiz are so hit and miss it's unreal. We conceed far too many chances still and Leicester will no doubt punish us, which means we need to score a couple at least.

I quite fancied us when we played them in the cup, but I think we've gone downhill big time since then. I know they are out of form too, but not on our scale. Just can't see us getting anything from this.

3-0 Leicester.

As in the cup game this will all be about trying to out-battle them and keeping Maddison and Vardy quiet.

I'm just not sure we have it in us any more. Confidence is shot. Nakamba and Luiz are so hit and miss it's unreal. We conceed far too many chances still and Leicester will no doubt punish us, which means we need to score a couple at least.

I quite fancied us when we played them in the cup, but I think we've gone downhill big time since then. I know they are out of form too, but not on our scale. Just can't see us getting anything from this.

3-0 Leicester.

They're off form and haven't scored many goals at all recently. I agree with you about Douglas and Nakamba running hot and cold but I think they both play better in a 4-3-3, they both look out of depth in a two man midfield.

I fancy us nicking a 1-1 or possibly a 2-1 win. Similar to the cup games, stay solid defensively and hit them on the break.

Aston Villa's away form this season.

Played 14; Won 2 Draw 2 Lost 10

Avg goals scored per match; 1 : Average goals conceded; 2

Unless Deano sets up differently I think we should expect more of the same. Far too open, concede early and easy to beat.

I read this thinking "good god how shit are we" then realised that the last time we were in this league we only won 1 away which was on the opening day. How on earth I got through that season without offing myself I do not know.

I read this thinking "good god how shit are we" then realised that the last time we were in this league we only won 1 away which was on the opening day. How on earth I got through that season without offing myself I do not know.
Heh heh heh, Bournemouth away. "Wahay, we're going to be okay this season!". Erm, no we're not.

Aston Villa's away form this season.

Played 14; Won 2 Draw 2 Lost 10

Avg goals scored per match; 1 : Average goals conceded; 2

Unless Deano sets up differently I think we should expect more of the same. Far too open, concede early and easy to beat.
Nothing to do with Smith, according to some.

I've just set the Sky Q box to record the game, just in case it's one of those classics , you know a Villa win in a season of gloom

Heh heh heh, Bournemouth away. "Wahay, we're going to be okay this season!". Erm, no we're not.

I remember discussing the game at work on the Monday morning convinced that Rudy could get 15+ goals, Richards would help us stay solid at the back and obviously our imminent signing of an exciting winger from Barcelona would catapult us up the table. Christ what a mug.

If Wilder had these set of players instead of Deano I have absolutely no doubt we would not be worried about relegation.

That’s the defining difference.

I'm not so sure. Wilder is of course doing a brilliant job but he's at Sheffield Utd for 4 years now I think? He's got a settled squad that he's built upon bit by bit each year adding a little more quality. Nothing like the huge overhaul we had to do in the summer.

This isn't me saying Smith is better or hasn't made mistakes but its a different situation. If wilder had had to essentially buy a new team on a fairly strict budget immediately after promotion I imagine Sheffields position might be different.