Leicester v Aston Villa - 7.15 pm Sunday 18th October | Page 41 | Vital Football

Leicester v Aston Villa - 7.15 pm Sunday 18th October

If that has been Mourinho, Arteta or Frank Lampard who “matched them up” to get a smash and grab at the end the analysis would’ve been all about the tactical genius of the manager.

I’ve levelled more than my fair share or criticism against Deano for poor tactics in the last 12 months which was fully justified as we nearly got relegated - though it was in game tactics and game management that was letting us down more than set up - but he must take credit for yesterday. Even if it’s not him who sees it, he takes credit for implementing and making it happen what others have said as ultimately the buck stops with him. We’ve all seen lesser experienced managers in the top flight not taken advice from those around them.

Anyway, the more time the likes of Danny Murphy sits there analysing why Leicester missed Vardy or Maddison, than what we did right is only a good thing for me. Keeps us under the radar for longer, it’ll be Xmas before managers start realising we aren’t just about Jack Grealish - although still too much of the play goes down his side still.

Last edited:
Murphy also said we were lucky to play Leicester when we did with their injuries.

No way did he want to give us any credit at all.

Yes, as if that was within our control. And I'm pretty sure the Leicester team we beat to get to the League Cup final was pretty strong. Still beat them.

It is sort of obvious when you face a team with injuries, that you are a bit lucky, but don't all teams get injuries and good/bad luck.

He did sound a right pratt last night.

The notion that Grealish is better in the centre was always a nonsense. It was an hypothesis rejected by the data, just compare his performances in the centre with on the left, he's far, far better as a sort of left forward with a real creative licence.

If I remember rightly, Jack came out saying he wanted to be a number 8. Which was never his best position, and now he’s getting to the top of statistics boards of stats that actually matter rather than academic ones, and that’ll just create an addiction that he wants to improve on. I’m sure we’ve all played football in our time, there’s nothing like scoring or goal or creating an assist. The high and buzz you get from that is second to none if you are a midfielder.

At least the BBC have acknowledged that we were the better team with their ratings in the 8s and 7s whilst Leicester were 5s and 4s (See https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54496450)
Rodgers didn't see it that way though :unsure:

I never know how they do the ratings on the BBC ? isn't it the fans votes of who played well as I'm sure I've seen that option to vote on the website before ? Not quite sure, Leicester weren't bad at all, we looked like we'd lose in the first half, second half most of us would take the draw and it was only towards the end we started to edge it, They could of been 2-3 up in the first half and we would of been like fuck, Certainly not 4-5 ratings as that assumes they had a poor game but for me both teams cancelled each other out for most of it, and we are showing we can compete against the best.

Two different sites below show a more fair reflection for me.

1603103674589.png

1603103705007.png

1603103786652.png

I am amazed that Villa seem to be one of the few teams that are defending properly. It's like closed grounds etc has meant most teams can't be arsed to put a shift in. Whereas Villa who could be woeful last season have weathered the storm and woken up.

PS Leicester were defending well - it's when you watch the big clubs.

Not quite sure, Leicester weren't bad at all, we looked like we'd lose in the first half, second half most of us would take the draw and it was only towards the end we started to edge it, They could of been 2-3 up in the first half and we would of been like fuck, Certainly not 4-5 ratings as that assumes they had a poor game but for me both teams cancelled each other out for most of it, and we are showing we can compete against the best.

Although we had a slow start and it was tight, i do think we were the better team in the first half. We had the better chances and I certainly don’t think we could have conceded two.

Leicester we’re particularly bad, it was a tactical match-up and they were fired up, but we won most battles.

Must admit that kid Fofana kept Watkins very quiet, looks like a real prospect. Leicester didn't play badly at all but we matched them all over the pitch and eventually beat them. They can't really argue as it was the perfect away win.
I agree but Watkins didn't get anywhere near enough service and also wasn't that convincing with his work on the ball, his hold up play no where near as sharp as against Liverpool for instance.

I agree but Watkins didn't get anywhere near enough service and also wasn't that convincing with his work on the ball, his hold up play no where near as sharp as against Liverpool for instance.
Strange to say it but that defence last night was a hell of a lot stronger than Liverpool's. Rodgers messed up when he took Mendy off, their back five were excellent for the entire game. Choudbury switched off and gave Barkley far too much time and space. Liverpool made the same mistakes, gave Barkley, Watkins and Grealish far too much space. It'll be interesting to see how Leeds get on dealing with those three and McGinn. Give them any chances at all on current form, you'll get punished.

Strange to say it but that defence last night was a hell of a lot stronger than Liverpool's. Rodgers messed up when he took Mendy off, their back five were excellent for the entire game. Choudbury switched off and gave Barkley far too much time and space. Liverpool made the same mistakes, gave Barkley, Watkins and Grealish far too much space. It'll be interesting to see how Leeds get on dealing with those three and McGinn. Give them any chances at all on current form, you'll get punished.
The last few times we've played them I see to remember Kalvin Phillips being given the job to relentlessly foul Grealish, they'll probably try the same.

Yes, as if that was within our control. And I'm pretty sure the Leicester team we beat to get to the League Cup final was pretty strong. Still beat them.

It is sort of obvious when you face a team with injuries, that you are a bit lucky, but don't all teams get injuries and good/bad luck.

He did sound a right pratt last night.
He seems to be trying to fill the miserable **** void left by Mark Lawrenson. The difference being that Lawro had just a little bit of wit in him. Murphy on the other hand, well there's absolutely nothing likeable about him.

Micah Richards can barely string a coherent sentence together. Broadcasters need to stop obsessing with ex-pros. Many other foreign broadcasters employ journalists as pundits. We should do the same. Get Tim Vickery in for instance and get James Richardson in to host. These people actually know what they're talking about,

Some of Jack's dribbling and control last night were utterly sublime, on another level. That little clip where he faces up to 2 defenders, draws them away away from the runner and then back heels it behind them for I think Targett to run onto - class.

He seems to be trying to fill the miserable **** void left by Mark Lawrenson. The difference being that Lawro had just a little bit of wit in him. Murphy on the other hand, well there's absolutely nothing likeable about him.

Micah Richards can barely string a coherent sentence together. Broadcasters need to stop obsessing with ex-pros. Many other foreign broadcasters employ journalists as pundits. We should do the same. Get Tim Vickery in for instance and get James Richardson in to host. These people actually know what they're talking about,

Yes, good idea re journos. The ones that do that Sunday Supplement on Sky Sports can be very good.