Leicester v Aston Villa - 7.15 pm Sunday 18th October | Page 2 | Vital Football

Leicester v Aston Villa - 7.15 pm Sunday 18th October

Last season we allowed Leicester to play in our half and wave after wave eventually wore us down. If we can press higher up the pitch, break up play the way we did against Liverpool by surrounding them quickly, I can see a good game. Leicester were able to break Citeh's press, so it's going to be interesting. The stars aligned for us last Sunday, this will be a different proposition with a team that plays a very different style.

Last season we allowed Leicester to play in our half and wave after wave eventually wore us down. If we can press higher up the pitch, break up play the way we did against Liverpool by surrounding them quickly, I can see a good game. Leicester were able to break Citeh's press, so it's going to be interesting. The stars aligned for us last Sunday, this will be a different proposition with a team that plays a very different style.

Often we had 3 villa players swarming onto the Liverpool player with the ball. Sometimes the ball broke lose to a Liv player - and I was panicking that we now had 3 players out of the play. BUT the fact they kept doing that rattled the Liverpool team. So much so that in the 2nd half they pretty much surrendered in midfield.

Last edited:

Leceister have a much more technical midfield than Liverpool and they sit much deeper because Jonny Evans and Soyuncu aren't quick. Soyuncu has a bit of pace but he's like Ritchie Dunne, takes a while to build a head of steam.

I could see us trying to target Ndidi's as he is their weakest link in possession but also their most important player defensively. If we're able to force the ball toward him and swarm him we'll immediately be on top of their backline.

I can see this being a risk-reward type game and the first goal will be crucial because we both want each other to have to press forward so space opens up behind the defence.

Grealish and Barkley linking up is a much stronger force than Maddison and Barnes. Watkins is also much better all-round than Vardy. If we're tight and compact we have better tools to open them up than they do IMO. Defensively we're weaker.

Just need to point this out.
If we beat Leicester 2-0 after 4 games.....

We would be top.
Best goals for, best goals against, best goal difference.
:banana::banana::banana:

I must say I’m not surprised. They have a good record of spotting talent. Vardy, Kante, Mahrez, Soyuncu to name but four.
The thing is, Castange was quality at Atalanta and was well known, whereas the other players you list were relative unknowns. Castange is a massive coup.

If my distaste for Small Heath is at 10 on a scale of 0 - 10, then Leicester are at 9.
We owe these arseholes big time from my perspective. I live in Leicestershire and the year we were relegated they won the title. The shit that my wife took from them when she worked in Loughborough was immense and they really upset her.
A neighbour had his wedding at the King Power that year and we had to endure even more crap from the best man's speech. I did wear my Villa tie with pride though.
Let's invoke the spirit of Chris Nicholl for this one but let's score all four goals in their net this time - for the younger members, go and Google it as it was an amazing match

Leicester it seems have had the hoodoo over us for decades, even in the 90s when in the main Villa had better teams . Rogers will demand a better performance after West Ham and Vardy has destroyed us in the past. That being said football is a confidence game and we have had the better start. We should respect Leicester but we shouldn't fear them. A win would be incredible. But a draw and putting in a performance will at least keep up the positive vibes - and bring us a 10 point haul from our opening four games.

Leicester it seems have had the hoodoo over us for decades, even in the 90s when in the main Villa had better teams . Rogers will demand a better performance after West Ham and Vardy has destroyed us in the past.

It might be confirmation bias but I feel like he is the only active EPL player who consistently scores against now that Troy Deeney is down in the Championship. I don't even know if Aguero counts.

It might be confirmation bias but I feel like he is the only active EPL player who consistently scores against now that Troy Deeney is down in the Championship. I don't even know if Aguero counts.
Haha I feel like there's a few left that in the league that love scoring against us.

Mane...
Aguero...
Shane Long and Giroud will probably crawl out of the woodwork again...

I wouldn’t change the midfield from Sunday, so no Traore to start for me. In fact, I wouldn’t change anything. Trez working hard on the right for 70 mins, when the game opens up and if we need more quality in the final third bring Traore on. I’m not sure he’s fit enough to start against a top side yet. Difficult one because you need games to get match fit but I’d keep him on the sidelines for a little longer yet.

As I understand, Traore is away with Burkina Faso but Trez isn't with Egypt (no games?), so it would suggest an unchanged XI.

As I understand, Traore is away with Burkina Faso but Trez isn't with Egypt (no games?), so it would suggest an unchanged XI.

You'd assume so but brave managers change things to suit games, I thought Jota for Liverpool played really well and was their main threat but I bet he gets dropped for Mane next game as Liverpool have a best team.
Our best team would theoretically include Bert for Trez but as we haven't seen Bert play we don't know but if he isn't an upgrade on Trez we really need to sack the scouts and JT.
Once he gets in the side that's it we theoretically have our best team out there and 7 subs for injuries none of them will improve that side

I think we need to see more of Bert before we can say whether he’s as good as we hope he’s going to be. He could be another Charles N’Zogbia for all we know, he has a similar style and swagger on the ball let’s just hope he doesn’t have Charles’ attitude.

I’m all for changing the side tactically where it’s needed which I was arguing for Liverpool, I think that worked out well.

My nervousness with Bert is that to me, he doesn’t look fit enough to start in a fast, high tempo game yet. Trez is tactically a good option for this game for me, with Traore to come on at the 70 minute mark when the game opens up and if we need more quality on the ball in the final third. Leicester had a shocker last weekend but they are a very good side, we need to reset from Liverpool as they’ll do from West Ham.

Last edited: