Leicester City-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Leicester City-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

17:17
'We created many chances'
FT: Leicester 0-1 Man City

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola to Sky Sports: "Excellent. We played really well from the first minute. After the international break, you always have doubts. We were a high level again for three weeks in a row. We had many chances and could have scored more goals. This is a step we still need to take.

"What can I say? The keeper is the best player of the Leicester team because we did many, many good things. You have to be patient. They are so dangerous when they attack outside so it's difficult to control them but we did well.

"They put substitutions on and they drop a little bit to get the ball so we knew it, but we played really well.

"We score the last 11 goals from nine different players. It's the only way to sustain our level. [Bernardo Silva] is back in the best form and mentality. He is an exceptional player and we know it.

"Of course I'm happy with the three points. Our performance was outstanding. Leicester, like the last years, have always been fighting until the end. I'm very pleased. If you are able to score or shoot, I don't know how many, it is because you are doing very good things. Kasper Schmeichel is an incredible keeper and saves these goals."

17:11
'We deserved something'
FT: Leicester 0-1 Man City

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers: "I thought we deserved something from the game. You have to stay in the game against a team of that quality but I thought we were excellent and created a lot of chances.

"We were unfortunate with their goal but apart from that I was proud of the team. They can take you into ages you don't want to go into but our players coped well. With a better final ball and a bit more luck, we might have got that goal.

"You know you have to defend well. You could argue we had the best chance with Harvey Barnes in the first half but they defended it well. You have to have the courage as a team to make blocks and defend the goal and I thought we did that well.

"Our ambition is always there. The quality of their team means they will have more of the ball than you so it means when you get your opportunity, you have to be more clinical. I thought first half we were looking for Jamie Vardy too early. Too many times we rushed the pass when it wasn't on but we were always ambition.

"I thought Jannik Vestergaard was excellent. He tired towards the end which was expected given his lack of training time. It was good to get that game time for Jonny Evans and those two will be important for us this season."
Booooooo!

Booooooo!
I was wondering what nonsense that bloviated gasbag would come out with and he didn’t let me dow…….”we deserved something from the game”. Seriously?

Goal attempts 6 v 25
Shots on goal 1 v 8
Shots off goal 3 v 7
Blocked shots 2 v 10
Keeper saves 7 v 1

In exactly which universe does this indicate the home side ‘deserved’ something Brendan? This is the sort of coach BS that drives me bonkers - just say “they are a quality team and controlled possession. We didn’t take our chances and they did - hats off to them”. But no…..we have to play to violin chorus. At least he didn’t moan about not being awarded a penalty or VAR.

Sky Player ratings

Man City: Ederson (7), Walker (7), Cancelo (7), Dias (7), Laporte (6), Rodri (6), Gundogan (7), Bernardo (8), Grealish (7), Jesus (6), Torres (5).

Subs: Sterling (6), Fernandinho (n/a).

Man of the match: Bernardo Silva.

Brenda deserved nothing, they only tried from the 80 minute mark to make a game of it. Before that it was the through ball for Steptoe was the only tactic. We fluffed many chances, but the Doctor, who ran his legs off popped up with a goal, Flash needs to do more on the press I feel. I can see why Silva wants away, when Red Kev comes back in he will be a sub.

Whatever happened to penalisting players at corners who pay zero attention to playing the ball and simply work to obstruct an opponent?

Remember a few years back when Sterling was booked by Mike Dean and a penalty awarded to Sunderland (? Or was it Southampton? Anyway they wore stripes….) for holding his opponent and not attempting to play the ball?

Yesterday early doors when the corner was taken after Ederson was treated for his injury saving from Harvey Barnes, JAmes Maddison is stood next to Eddy and blatantly obstructs him as the cross comes in ……many yards from either of them. The officials did F All. It would be a free kick anywhere else irrespective of the ‘play the ball not your opponent’ instruction but there was nothing done. :rolleyes:

Another ‘rule’ conveniently forgotten by the officials…..

Whatever happened to penalisting players at corners who pay zero attention to playing the ball and simply work to obstruct an opponent?

Remember a few years back when Sterling was booked by Mike Dean and a penalty awarded to Sunderland (? Or was it Southampton? Anyway they wore stripes….) for holding his opponent and not attempting to play the ball?

Yesterday early doors when the corner was taken after Ederson was treated for his injury saving from Harvey Barnes, JAmes Maddison is stood next to Eddy and blatantly obstructs him as the cross comes in ……many yards from either of them. The officials did F All. It would be a free kick anywhere else irrespective of the ‘play the ball not your opponent’ instruction but there was nothing done. :rolleyes:

Another ‘rule’ conveniently forgotten by the officials…..

Stoke away, in one of those early season rule crackdowns. City won comfortably in the end.

I noticed that Maddison block on Ederson, but I reckon he got away with it here due to holding on and then releasing and moving away at just the right time.

Not saying it's right, but it's the only explanation for it that I can think of.