Leicester City-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Leicester City-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Leicester City 0 Manchester City 1
City Goals - B Silva 62'
City Assists -

FT Stats
Possession
Leicester 39.1% City 60.9%
Corners
Leicester 5 City 8
Offsides
Leicester 2 City 4
Fouls
Leicester 4 City 11
Cards
Leicester 1 Y City 2 Y (Rodri, Laporte)
On Target
Leicester 1 City 8
Woodwork
Leicester 1 City 0
Off Target
Leicester 5 City 17 (PL site has 6 Leicester shots, City 25 - City OS Leicester 3 shots City 7)

Attendance: 32,087

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/66378

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2021/leicester-city-v-manchester-city-epl

17:00
'Leicester one of the best in league'
FT: Leicester 0-1 Man City

Manchester City goalscorer Bernardo Silva: "They also had their chances. It's a very tough team to play against. Leicester, for me, are one of the best teams in the league. We should have scored a little bit earlier in the first half but we got the three points and in a very tough place to play. We are very happy with the win.

"I always try to do my best to help the team and today I was able to with a goal so I'm very, very happy with that.

"We know how good they are on the ball. We know how this team plays. We suffered against them in the Community Shield. We tried to stop them on the counter-attacks. Our goalkeeper was very good today for us too. Three points and now we move on."

On Jack Grealish's 100th Premier League appearance: "A quality player and a very nice guy. He is one more to help the team. Hopefully we can help him to progress, score more goals and get more assists. A very, very good player."

17:08
'We did many good things'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola to BBC Sport: "It is a difficult place to come and we know that. Leicester make that step forward to be in the top of the league. We did very many good things.

"We did really well, the process we found and we let them run a lot. We know how dangerous Jamie Vardy and also Harvey Barnes are in transition. The players were able to be focused and to concentrate.

"Kasper Schmeicel is a really top keeper so it sometimes happens. The good thing is the amount of chances we create. This is a good thing. Of course, we would have loved to score more goals. We deserve it.

"The last 11 goals I think were scored by nine different players. We don't have a real striker so we do it as a team."

JoMU Evening News
player ratings
City XI: Ederson 7, Walker 8, Dias 7, Laporte 7, Cancelo 7, Gundogan 7, Rodrigo 6, Torres* 5, Grealish 6, Bernardo 8, Jesus* 5
Subs: Sterling 6 (for Torres 64') Fernandinho (for Jesus 84') not marked

JoMU Evening News
player ratings
City XI: Ederson 7, Walker 8, Dias 7, Laporte 7, Cancelo 7, Gundogan 7, Rodrigo 6, Torres* 5, Grealish 6, Bernardo 8, Jesus* 5
Subs: Sterling 6 (for Torres 64') Fernandinho (for Jesus 84') not marked
Wut? Grealish was better than that, and I thought Walker and Cancelo weren't fantastic.

17:11
'We deserved something'

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers: "I thought we deserved something from the game. You have to stay in the game against a team of that quality but I thought we were excellent and created a lot of chances.

"We were unfortunate with their goal but apart from that I was proud of the team. They can take you into ages you don't want to go into but our players coped well. With a better final ball and a bit more luck, we might have got that goal.

"You know you have to defend well. You could argue we had the best chance with Harvey Barnes in the first half but they defended it well. You have to have the courage as a team to make blocks and defend the goal and I thought we did that well.

"Our ambition is always there. The quality of their team means they will have more of the ball than you so it means when you get your opportunity, you have to be more clinical. I thought first half we were looking for Jamie Vardy too early. Too many times we rushed the pass when it wasn't on but we were always ambition.

"I thought Jannik Vestergaard was excellent. He tired towards the end which was expected given his lack of training time. It was good to get that game time for Jonny Evans and those two will be important for us this season."

17:15
'Really proud of the team'

More from Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers to BBC Sport: "The concentration is so high and it has to be. Technically they really test you but I'm really proud of the team. We played some fantastic football to stay in the game. They got that bit of luck you sometimes need to win games to get the goal.

"There was pressure in and around our box. The players made blocks and that's what you have to do. You have to dig in. We showed good patience in the build up. I thought we played through the pressure. We couldn't find that last pass.

"I thought we rushed it in the first half. We were in the game right until the very end. Okay, we've not taken anything from the game but we have lots of positives from it."

Managing Jannik Vestergaard and Jonny Evans? "Yes. Both of those players. Jannik Vestergaard, you could see there was a little bit of tiredness in the legs starting to kick in. But I thought he was excellent. Jonny Evans got an important 30 minutes. They will be important for us."

17:11
'We deserved something'

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers: "I thought we deserved something from the game. You have to stay in the game against a team of that quality but I thought we were excellent and created a lot of chances.

"We were unfortunate with their goal but apart from that I was proud of the team. They can take you into ages you don't want to go into but our players coped well. With a better final ball and a bit more luck, we might have got that goal.

"You know you have to defend well. You could argue we had the best chance with Harvey Barnes in the first half but they defended it well. You have to have the courage as a team to make blocks and defend the goal and I thought we did that well.

"Our ambition is always there. The quality of their team means they will have more of the ball than you so it means when you get your opportunity, you have to be more clinical. I thought first half we were looking for Jamie Vardy too early. Too many times we rushed the pass when it wasn't on but we were always ambition.

"I thought Jannik Vestergaard was excellent. He tired towards the end which was expected given his lack of training time. It was good to get that game time for Jonny Evans and those two will be important for us this season."
You got what you deserved, Brenda......nada.