Leeds v Forest: Match Fred sponsored by Marco Polo's quest for a new forum | Page 23 | Vital Football

Leeds v Forest: Match Fred sponsored by Marco Polo's quest for a new forum

See my last post. 20 shots on goals and two penalties they should have had.
Games aren't won on shots off target, possession or non existent penalties. Of which there was only one legitimate shout anyway.

If you think games should be decided that way then we need to give some of our trophies back, including our first League cup and second European cup

Games aren't won on shots off target, possession or non existent penalties. Of which there was only one legitimate shout anyway.

If you think games should be decided that way then we need to give some of our trophies back, including our first League cup and second European cup

You are all missing my point, which is about our performance. Christ.
I am not saying that because they had 20 shots to our 2, that they should have won. I am saying that we didnt do anything performance wise to stop that. If we had, then they wouldn't have had those chances. Our point wasnt down to our good performance, it was down to them missing those chances. I dont think I can spell it out any clearer. If we give away that amount of chances every game, we will not always be that lucky.
Pope, I dont think you are that daft that you really believe I'm saying shots on goal should decide games!!!!
Bottom line is, and what imo is unarguable, we have been completely outplayed in our first 2 games so far.

I am not saying that because they had 20 shots to our 2, that they should have won. I am saying that we didnt do anything performance wise to stop that. If we had, then they wouldn't have had those chances. Our point wasnt down to our good performance, it was down to them missing those chances. I dont think I can spell it out any clearer. If we give away that amount of chances every game, we will not always be that lucky.
Pope, I dont think you are that daft that you really believe I'm saying shots on goal should decide games!!!!
Bottom line is, and what imo is unarguable, we have been completely outplayed in our first 2 games so far.
Ok, fair explanation.

But at the same time, we did stop them.

Leeds performed with an 80% passing accuracy, which gave them 68% possession. That is a team that is performing remarkably in moving the ball around, compared to our side who don't even know each other.

But we limited them to 14 shots (only the joint 6th best in the division), of which only 4 were on target.

It's all well and good saying that they missed the target, but can you point us to any instance where a Leeds player missed a completely free, unmarked opportunity? Or were our defenders doing just enough to stop them getting it on target?

They got clean through one time in the whole game and scored from it. Beyond that we limited them to half chances and snatched shots.

We absolutely lost the battle to control the ball; we didn't even attempt to compete on that level.

But limiting a team with 80% accuracy from 579 passes (compared to our 62% from 271 passes) to just four shots at our goalkeeper is a performance

I am not saying that because they had 20 shots to our 2, that they should have won. I am saying that we didnt do anything performance wise to stop that. If we had, then they wouldn't have had those chances. Our point wasnt down to our good performance, it was down to them missing those chances. I dont think I can spell it out any clearer.

If we give away that amount of chances every game, we will not always be that lucky.
We stopped them getting any decent shots on target (only 5 on target) Our slightly dodgy keeper was never really threatened, which ever way you dress it up.thats good defending.

We stopped them getting any decent shots on target (only 5 on target) Our slightly dodgy keeper was never really threatened, which ever way you dress it up.thats good defending.

This. Best takeaway from the game for me was that we didn't look a soft touch at the back, didn't fold mentally and looked like we knew how to defend set-pieces which hasn't been the case for a while now.

They even hit the bar at one point, where it looked easier to score than not, and Bamford missed a complete sitter when the keeper got caught out in no man's land. Hernandez pulled Robinsons pants down for another good chance.
If tactical changes aren't made and performance doesn't improve soon, then we can kiss goodbye to any chance of top 6 this season. In fact, we will be battling at the wrong end of the table.

Two penalties?

Even the most die hard Leeds fan could not justify that claim.

The Robinson incident was a penalty in my book; the incident in the first half was not even close.

The first half?? Not that one, he should have been booked for diving. I'm talking about the two from that donkey Robinson. Taking the legs and then the strong arm in the back.

They even hit the bar at one point, where it looked easier to score than not, and Bamford missed a complete sitter when the keeper got caught out in no man's land. Hernandez pulled Robinsons pants down for another good chance.
If tactical changes aren't made and performance doesn't improve soon, then we can kiss goodbye to any chance of top 6 this season. In fact, we will be battling at the wrong end of the table.

Apart from the goal they scored and the one that hit the bar and the so called no mans land of our keeper for the Banford miss as you put it what other chanced did they have can i ask?

No Bamford part is more of a Bamford miss than a no mans land from the keeper in this case i feel.

The more they play together the better we'll get, no reason to believe we've peaked at game 2!
The fact we have 12 new signings Alone will see to that.

The manager certainly will learn with each game and I'd suggest the starting 11 for say game 10, will be somwhat different to yesterday's. But as has been said we already look less of a soft touch which is a great sign.

What's that got to do with my point? My point is, if leeds had taken their chances we would comfortably have lost. Our draw wasnt really down to good play by us, it was down to them not taking chances. 4-1 wouldn't have flattered them. Both goals could have been cancelled out.
They didn't create that many clear cut chances and if Phillips had been correctly sent off, it would have been a completely different game!

Apart from the goal they scored and the one that hit the bar and the so called no mans land of our keeper for the Banford miss as you put it what other chanced did they have can i ask?

No Bamford part is more of a Bamford miss than a no mans land from the keeper in this case i feel.

Thanks Ian, exactly my point, their miss as opposed to anything we did. Glad you agree! ?.

They didn't create that many clear cut chances and if Phillips had been correctly sent off, it would have been a completely different game!

My initial thoughts were that it was a yellow. Not a red for me. I'd have been livid if we'd had a player sent off for that.

See my last post. 20 shots on goals and two penalties they should have had.

He makes a valid point about the quality of the chances Leeds made and it's one echoed by a lot of their fans.

Whilst stylistically we were very much second best, we actually limited them to very few clear goal scoring opportunities given their possession.

It wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination but there are some ok foundations to build upon.

You also can't possibly expect a basket case of a club with an appealing recruitment strategy on and off the pitch to instantly match a settled side.