Leeds Utd (A) | Page 8 | Vital Football

Leeds Utd (A)

It's been interesting for me catching up on this thread, particularly some of the comments pre match :grinning:
Generally some good debate has been had.

Someone mentioned the Charlton win which does keep daylight between them and us and we still need to catch one more team without letting those below us catch us. I know Hull are currently 10 points clear of us but they've lost both Bowen and Grosicki in the window which is huge for them. They have signed some players but looking at their defeat at the weekend they looked utterly shambolic. A mate of mine is a Hull fan and he was telling me a month ago about the off field issues blighting the club which he thought was affecting on field performances. I wouldn't be surprised if they get dragged into the relegation scrap. Here's hoping.

It's been interesting for me catching up on this thread, particularly some of the comments pre match :grinning:
Generally some good debate has been had.

Someone mentioned the Charlton win which does keep daylight between them and us and we still need to catch one more team without letting those below us catch us. I know Hull are currently 10 points clear of us but they've lost both Bowen and Grosicki in the window which is huge for them. They have signed some players but looking at their defeat at the weekend they looked utterly shambolic. A mate of mine is a Hull fan and he was telling me a month ago about the off field issues blighting the club which he thought was affecting on field performances. I wouldn't be surprised if they get dragged into the relegation scrap. Here's hoping.

I was thinking the same, the loss of those 2 is huge, their squad is very thin on goals now and i can see them slowing down badly. But there is currently a 10 point gap and in recent years the points on average to stay up is hovering around the low to mid 40's, and just 2 wins in their remaining 12 will get them into that territory. I think they may be the one that drops into the mix but i think we've left ourselves too much to make up 10 points in 12 games even if our form continues to improve.

I was thinking the same, the loss of those 2 is huge, their squad is very thin on goals now and i can see them slowing down badly. But there is currently a 10 point gap and they say you need to get into the mid 40 points on average to stay up, and just 2 or 3 wins in their remaining 12 will get them over the line. I think they may be the one that drops into the mix but i think we've left ourselves too much to make up 10 points in 12 games even if our form continues to improve.

I tend to agree KDZ, although I'd say we have to make 7 points up in 11 games as (IMO) we have to beat them at home in April.

I tend to agree KDZ, although I'd say we have to make 7 points up in 11 games as (IMO) we have to beat them at home in April.

My appologies i just realised there are 16 games left rather than 12 which does make the task a bit more doable. Looking at this weekends fixtures Stoke play at home to Charlton so if we can somehow pick up a win we could either get level / jump Stoke or go 1 point behind Chalrton. And if we were able to somehow make it 4 wins in a row against Boro then you are talking about dragging 5 extra teams who all looked save back into the fight not just Hull.

Huge 2 games over 4 days for us next week.

Looking at the rest of the season everyone at the bottom players everyone else - it will probably come down to which teams handle the 6 pointers the best. Trditionally we've poor at under Cook at getting wins in the 6 pointers, so it will be another hoodoo we need to break.

Not wound up by their opinions on manager's comments but perplexed by their reading/listening/hanging on to every single word. And then trying to interpret those words. Personally I'd advise such - there are better things in life to attend to unless you enjoy being a masochist.
If I detest a politician I wouldn't waste a moment of my life listening to anything they have to say. They're irrelevant in my life.
As i am perplexed by your blind faith and support for a poor manager. I really wish 🤡 was irrelevant to my life unfortunately he is influential in something i have 40 years invested in so I do and will spend time on what he has to say.
But hey - vive la difference

My appologies i just realised there are 16 games left rather than 12 which does make the task a bit more doable. Looking at this weekends fixtures Stoke play at home to Charlton so if we can somehow pick up a win we could either get level / jump Stoke or go 1 point behind Chalrton. And if we were able to somehow make it 4 wins in a row against Boro then you are talking about dragging 5 extra teams who all looked save back into the fight not just Hull.

Huge 2 games over 4 days for us next week.

Looking at the rest of the season everyone at the bottom players everyone else - it will probably come down to which teams handle the 6 pointers the best. Trditionally we've poor at under Cook at getting wins in the 6 pointers, so it will be another hoodoo we need to break.
Four wins on the bounce? Steady on! I’m optimistic at the best of times but that would be beyond my expectations from just a week ago. It’s amazing what a difference confidence makes. That late winner against Wednesday last week was the catalyst for that battling performance on Saturday I have no doubt about that and I’m hoping that can now snowball from here. I’m back to believing again 🥳

We aren't overhauling a ten point gap, get that out of your heads now. The only team we can realistically catch is Charlton. Currently the gap between them and us is 5 points (their goal difference is worth an extra point). Our goal needs to be getting within two points of them between now and late April. Then we'll need to beat them at the Valley. That's our only chance.

Preston are a very good team and I can't see us beating them, they've turned us over every time when they haven't got their mind on the beach so we'll need Stoke to help us out. Boro though are absolutely shit. That is a must win game! Personally I think we're as good as down and have been since Stoke away, but it's always that glimmer of hope that kills you.

Four wins on the bounce? Steady on! I’m optimistic at the best of times but that would be beyond my expectations from just a week ago. It’s amazing what a difference confidence makes. That late winner against Wednesday last week was the catalyst for that battling performance on Saturday I have no doubt about that and I’m hoping that can now snowball from here. I’m back to believing again 🥳
Three winns on the bounc is not going to happen let's get real .2 drawes is ok I am happy with that

The lads have the bit between there teeth and look like there in it together .
Both games are winnable if we create and convert chances , we look stronger defensively and are working hard off the ball ..
Also a bit of luck went our way which always helps ..

I was talking more hypothetically, the 2 wins in a row got us back into the race but i'm not getting carried away. I fear our weakness in winning the 6 pointers will be our undoing and I still think we are the most likely to finish third bottom.

Charlton are the most likely target to pull below us, but i think their free fall towards the drop is going to stabalise. Their form fell off apart when Lyle Taylor got injured but he is back now and they pulled off a smart bit of business getting in Andre Green who has got a couple already. So i think they will start to pick up points at a higher rate again which will be bad news for us.

Blimey, to read the posts on here we are already dead and buried.

Why is everyone talking about overhauling Charlton when both Stoke and Huddersfield are still very much in it. I fear it is because they have both changed management and some people automatically think this will bring them better results than us.

We are the early game on Saturday and a decent 3-0 win could see us leapfrog both Stoke and Huddersfield who would then feel the pressure of having to win. Huddersfield at QPR is no gimme and Stoke face Charlton which in my opinion could go either way. The next two games are important and could go a long way to securing our safety, but they are not crucial as there are still a significant number of opportunities for us to pick up points before the end of the season.

I know its an old adage, but lets take it one game at a time.

We have shown that we can mix it with the higher placed teams in the division and Preston are susceptible to dropping a clanger now and then. Lets get at them and use the confidence gained over the last two games to get us across the line with the points, then move on to the next game.

Up the Tic's

Why is everyone talking about overhauling Charlton when both Stoke and Huddersfield are still very much in it. I fear it is because they have both changed management and some people automatically think this will bring them better results than us.

We are the early game on Saturday and a decent 3-0 win could see us leapfrog both Stoke and Huddersfield who would then feel the pressure of having to win. Huddersfield at QPR is no gimme and Stoke face Charlton which in my opinion could go either way. The next two games are important and could go a long way to securing our safety, but they are not crucial as there are still a significant number of opportunities for us to pick up points before the end of the season.

We have shown that we can mix it with the higher placed teams in the division and Preston are susceptible to dropping a clanger now and then. Lets get at them and use the confidence gained over the last two games to get us across the line with the points, then move on to the next game.

Up the Tic's

I agree with your general sentiments TB, I think some of us (well certainly me) have discounted catching Stoke and Huddersfield due both to their change of management and their perceived squad quality. Obviously nothing is certain and all things are possible, but I personally don't think either of those will go down, even if we do manage to avoid relegation. As I've said in a previous post, I'm hoping Hull get dragged into the mix.

I agree with your general sentiments TB, I think some of us (well certainly me) have discounted catching Stoke and Huddersfield due both to their change of management and their perceived squad quality. Obviously nothing is certain and all things are possible, but I personally don't think either of those will go down, even if we do manage to avoid relegation. As I've said in a previous post, I'm hoping Hull get dragged into the mix.

The point is Arthur, we have the opportunity to get above them this weekend and if we can mange that and then equal their results we will stay up, and yet there are those that don't see us doing that.

Its defeatism in my book.

Up the Tic's
Speaking for myself, I don't think they're targets because they've changed manager. I think they're targets simply because they're the teams closest to us in terms of points and they're showing poor form.

I personally think Huddersfield are there for the taking. They had a weak squad when they went down from the Prem, and I don't see them as being that good a Champ side either to be honest. Did I expect them to be down this end of the table? No. But neither did I expect them to be near the top of the table or even play offs. And as much as I like Cowley and the work he did with Lincoln, he was a risky choice as he doesn't have Champ experience.

Stoke on the other hand do have some good Champ players, from the outside looking in their issue is a bad dressing room and the early season failings of Jones who like Cowley, did a good job in Lg1 but looked to struggle in the Champ. With a manager like O'Neil - who although hasn't got Champ level experience, did do well with Shamrock and Northern Ireland - I expected (and still do expect) them to gel together and pull away from danger. Obviously the longer they don't pull away means theres more the pressure on them, and it keeps them as a target for us to catch.

To drag other teams into the mix -Charlton look to be in a bit of a spiral, and only being 4 points away from us makes them prime targets to be dragged into the fight. Given how things went in the transfer window, optimistically, I'd say we can drag a couple of the teams above them into the mix too. Middlesbrough look to have established some form (although shakey), but Reading haven't won in over 5 games, Hull have lost 4x in a row and sold their biggest goal scoring threat in Bowen, QPR no longer have the in form Nahki Wells, and Birmingham, Derby and Sheff Wed could be dragged in to the fight by way of potential points deductions from FFP breaches and selling the stadiums to the owners.

Our unexpected upturn in results has given us a real chance and for me has changed the tide of expectation. Had we lost either one of the Yorkshire games, I'd think we're down. But that we in fact won both means its game on. Cooks done something I never expected him to do and changed his tactics, we're getting some of the luck we were missing earlier, so the signs are more promising. Hopefully we can maintain the form and momentum, drag more teams into the mix, pull away from them, stay up and regroup.

The point is Arthur, we have the opportunity to get above them this weekend and if we can mange that and then equal their results we will stay up, and yet there are those that don't see us doing that.

No, it’s realism. I understand it though, a win always gets fans a little giddy, every chance PNE bring us down to earth Saturday. They smashed Barnsley 0-3 in their last away game.

With our inability to defend what is the point of this ?
May as well give Leeds the pts a feck off home.
Milwall had a go mid week and gave them a game this will be like the alamo.
Feel sorry for the folk who paid £40 to "enjoy" it
Cowardly scouse 🤡 - what was the quote "while Wigan manager we will go to win every game" hmmmm🤔

Oh don't worry i definitely enjoyed it, sat in the away end with my fiance's dad whos a massive leeds fan. Made me weekend.

One mans realism is another mans defeatism.

One mans optimism is anothers wishful thinking.

For me i think winning the big high pressure 6 pointers will be crucial, Cook's struggled to win not just in this season, but since he arrived and that i think will be an achillies heel we will need to address.

I think we've given ourselves a chance after getting 2 wins on the bounce but we've had false dawns before and i'm not getting carried away.

Following up on my previous point about the head to heads in our final 10 games 5 of them are our direct relegation rivals. 3 away, 2 at home. If we lost every other game but just won those 5 that would probably keep us up, but that is what scares me. It's good that our fate is completely in our own hands but traditionally we don't come out of top very often in 6 pointers. I'd fancy us to more likely beat Blackburn, QPR, Hull and Fulham than Huddersfield, Stoke, Barnsley and Charlton.

Luton H
Huddersfield A

Blackburn H
Stoke H
Brentford A
QPR H
Barnsley A
Hull H
Charlton A
Fulham H