Leeds United v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 27 Feb @ 5.30pm - Sky | Page 34 | Vital Football

Leeds United v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 27 Feb @ 5.30pm - Sky

Just read the Leeds supporters' comments under the Guardian match report - does anyone know how to take text off a screen and inject it into your veins?

Have to say a pleasing aspect of the the last few months has been been certain players, who I'd previously written off as not Premiership material, stepping up to the mark. El Ghazi, Nikamba, Hause take a bow. Gives us real options for the rest of this season and our European campaign in the next. Fingers crossed!

Before the game I was calling for tactics to stop Leeds, so I’m delighted. It reminds me of the days when Arsene Wenger would moan about teams setting up defensively, what do they want us to do, just roll over and give them a 3-0 win?!

The tactics from us were spot on. Leeds won the statistical game overall, although it wasn’t what I would call domination. We won’t the stat that mattered and overall, I would say we had the better chances, though Emi did pull of two class saves that I can recall.

The only theatrical point I would agree with, was Targett trying to get players carded. We are in uproar on here with other players, and it’s not something I like.

Just on the point of Targett, his fitness is up to scratch these days, he’s looking lean and also he’s a bit menacing and found his nasty streak.

I posted this somewhere deep in the match thread or on the the WhatsApp’s. We rely on Jack a lot, we play through him far too much for my liking but he does give us a lift most of the time.

We knew we didn’t have jack before the Brighton game, so we’ve had a week to work and prepare a game plan for yesterday. It just shows that now we are maturing and gaining experience at the top level, what the other players can do. I was very cynical about whether Smith would change it tactically as I and others were saying we needed to before the game, so credit to him because I would’ve been the first to have called it out had he not.

We were very fluid and almost natural at changing from the 4-2-3-1 which we started off with, and moving back to a 4-5-1. You can’t have the people on the sideline responsible for telling the players when to change, they need to take responsibility themselves. Ramsey did a wonderful job positionally, not his finest game on the ball but overall I thought what he did for the team was bang on what we needed and something Barkley just wouldn’t have provided - as Barkley is trying to prove to himself he can play number 10, and that seems his priority.

AEG was on one, the good AEG. Picking the ball up in between the lines and driving.

Marv had a blinder in the park, destroyed everything pretty much - he’s the interceptor of the team. Credit to Marv for how he can be benched for 5-6 games but when he does come in, he looks fit, confident and doesn’t make the silly mistakes from the 360 degree turns he used to do.

Before the game I was calling for tactics to stop Leeds, so I’m delighted. It reminds me of the days when Arsene Wenger would moan about teams setting up defensively, what do they want us to do, just roll over and give them a 3-0 win?!

The tactics from us were spot on. Leeds won the statistical game overall, although it wasn’t what I would call domination. We won’t the stat that mattered and overall, I would say we had the better chances, though Emi did pull of two class saves that I can recall.

The only theatrical point I would agree with, was Targett trying to get players carded. We are in uproar on here with other players, and it’s not something I like.

Just on the point of Targett, his fitness is up to scratch these days, he’s looking lean and also he’s a bit menacing and found his nasty streak.

Absolutely on both points. I think Targett went a bit too far yesterday and was lucky to stay on the pitch. A more mean spirited ref could have sent off 3 players yesterday.

The only thing that niggles me about yesterday was the lack of any attacking coherence. We didn't even try to have a go at them in the second half. We just punted it long and gave them another go at attacking us.

Absolutely on both points. I think Targett went a bit too far yesterday and was lucky to stay on the pitch. A more mean spirited ref could have sent off 3 players yesterday.

The only thing that niggles me about yesterday was the lack of any attacking coherence. We didn't even try to have a go at them in the second half. We just punted it long and gave them another go at attacking us.

I said during the match that if we played the ball along the ground we can still hurt them, but was okay with the long balls for this game alone as we had to get something regardless of how we got it. We need to learn how to play the ball along the ground with and without Jack, because once we achieve that and with our defence playing like it did yesterday we will be top 10 regularly in the prem. The biggest challenge for Dean would be to make the team play good attacking football without Jack.

Deano said he didn't want any fancy stuff on that pitch , so we had to be prepared to concede possession at time I suppose.

Having said that I thought there were times we could have done better on the break , but really in the second half especially Leeds weren't a threat.

Diego Llorente proving that it wasn't just Jesus who was resurrected after death and nice to see he was helped back onto his feet by our very own Saint Ollie:jangel:

I had the sound turned off on my match feed so as he miraculously rose to his feet I actually thought it was Bamford up to his usual dirty tricks as they look alike:eek::grinning:

Fcuking embarrassing.

Yeah absloute shite...just shouts a lot apparently! On a serious note, think he’s been really good over the past few weeks even though the team has struggled a bit. Lead by example. Got so much stick earlier in season from one or two but hardly a mention these days so suppose he must be playing well!
Since the covid outbreak he seems to have cut out the silly mistakes and just defend and I think he's been fantastic.