Leeds United v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 27 Feb @ 5.30pm - Sky | Page 2 | Vital Football

Leeds United v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 27 Feb @ 5.30pm - Sky

We can cope with Leeds, easily, provided we set out to do precisely that. If we go out thinking we're Barca and can blow them off the park we will lose, easily.

We need to stop them getting a sniff of goal. Engels in if fit with Konsa at RB. Nakamba and Luiz in front of the defence. Sanson providing the link further forwards.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Smith went with an unchanged line up.

As a manager, I think it would sometimes be sensible to play the scenarios through. I can’t think of a worse situation for Deano than playing exactly the same team and coming out with the same result.

There’s been a few things Smith has done this season which have been refreshing. If he does what you think (which I don’t think he will), then that’ll be alarm bells for me.

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to throw Trezeguet in for Bert as he will work back and help Elmo out more often. Like others I'd also go Sanson in for Barkley, although I'd probably push McGinn further forward and play Sansom near to Luiz. I know some are calling for Marvelous and Ramsey as well, but I worry making too many changes can often create more problems. Changing the entire midfield is a big risk for me

As a manager, I think it would sometimes be sensible to play the scenarios through. I can’t think of a worse situation for Deano than playing exactly the same team and coming out with the same result.

There’s been a few things Smith has done this season which have been refreshing. If he does what you think (which I don’t think he will), then that’ll be alarm bells for me.
He'd have played the same team against Leicester if it wasn't for injury despite the no show at Brighton, so who knows.
This may be the game for Trez , our headless Chicken against Leeds 10 Headless Chickens

He'd have played the same team against Leicester if it wasn't for injury despite the no show at Brighton, so who knows.
This may be the game for Trez , our headless Chicken against Leeds 10 Headless Chickens

I would play Trez. He’s a limited player, with no final product, however rather than go out there and roll over, I’d rather see us do something tactically even if it is defend for your lives and hit on the counter.

Elmo and Trez will offer not a lot going forward - though neither will Elmo and Bert, so play Trez for double cover.

I would play Trez. He’s a limited player, with no final product, however rather than go out there and roll over, I’d rather see us do something tactically even if it is defend for your lives and hit on the counter.

Elmo and Trez will offer not a lot going forward - though neither will Elmo and Bert, so play Trez for double cover.

I'm lost really my thoughts go along the lines of ditch both Wingers play 5 proper midfielders and whoever is furthest forward supports the strike. Our wingers being feeble on and off the ball, not a game for man fannys like Bert and Anwar.

Or we just end like we can when we are up against it and hit them on the break like you say

I'm lost really my thoughts go along the lines of ditch both Wingers play 5 proper midfielders and whoever is furthest forward supports the strike. Our wingers being feeble on and off the ball, not a game for man fannys like Bert and Anwar.

Or we just end like we can when we are up against it and hit them on the break like you say

Yep, go 4-5-1 with SJM in front of a threesome with Marv/Luiz, and tell Trez and SJM to counter like the fucking clappers when we break.

Last edited:

Massively irritated by our weakness in the tackle and competitiveness yesterday against a not very physical side. We need to introduce some physicality to our side soon as it is letting us down .

Massively irritated by our weakness in the tackle and competitiveness yesterday against a not very physical side. We need to introduce some physicality to our side soon as it is letting us down .

Marv, Sanson and Luiz would be my trio for this game but its a risk that could backfire. All 3 have never played together.

It's why west ham are doing well.They have toughened up.
Smith was saying again he expects burke-ly to come good. Which suggests it will be same again bar Trez in for el fitful and same result.

I'm looking forward to this one. It should be a good game. Barkley has to be dropped though. I don't know how you work out a midfield with one winger and 4 CMs but that's why Smith makes the big bucks.

That's where we miss Cash.

My eyes are on Deano. He sets great store on having a settled side, so much so that he will keep playing underperforming players rather than giving someone else a chance to show what they can do. I'm hoping Nakamba will get a run out as he was pretty close to man of the match in his last start.

Elmo is more limited than Cash, so I don't expect to see him bombing up and down the wing, but IMO he is a much better crosser of the ball than Matty.

Tactics: Deano was out manoeuvered in the 0-3 the last time we played and didn't react to the overloading on Cash which left him exposed. Leeds have kept one clean sheet this year and we don't do nil nils. Villa 1-0, Olly heads in an Elmo cross at the back post.

If you go probability wise.
On our season form. We lost our last game so due a win on percentages.
On leeds season form they won last game so are due a loss. More or less.

That said. That doesnt account for elmo. Cringe. Or playing with 10 men when you include Barkley who will no doubt still start.

Id love to see Ramsey and Sansom start. Swap Ramsey for Elgastly and Sansom for sir stropalot.

My eyes are on Deano. He sets great store on having a settled side, so much so that he will keep playing underperforming players rather than giving someone else a chance to show what they can do. I'm hoping Nakamba will get a run out as he was pretty close to man of the match in his last start.

Elmo is more limited than Cash, so I don't expect to see him bombing up and down the wing, but IMO he is a much better crosser of the ball than Matty.

Tactics: Deano was out manoeuvered in the 0-3 the last time we played and didn't react to the overloading on Cash which left him exposed. Leeds have kept one clean sheet this year and we don't do nil nils. Villa 1-0, Olly heads in an Elmo cross at the back post.
I'll have a pint of whatever your drinking

Thankfully the Wales v England rugby match is being televised on BBC so I'll be watching that.

Less stressful than the Villa midfield stumbling around.