Leeds United v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 27 Feb @ 5.30pm - Sky | Vital Football

Leeds United v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 27 Feb @ 5.30pm - Sky

They were certainly the better team at Villa Park and we’ve got worse since then and they have stayed pretty erratic and unpredictable. We need more energy and movement in midfield and this is an opportunity to try something different bringing in two from Nakamba, Sanson and Ramsey and “resting” Douglas and Barkley while letting McGinn loose without the encumbrance of Ross. My two would be Sanson for Luiz and Ramsey for Ross with Naka being a bit unlucky but ready to come on if needed. Oh and stick with Elmo and Traore.

This is one game where I don't envy Dean Smith. I don't actually know how you beat them, they normally beat themselves which sloppy shooting and even sloppier defending.
it's 50-50 for me and that's not the score by the way

I'd play the young right back if nothing else he'll be fitter and faster than Elmo . This is definitely a game for Nakamba and Sanson and goes without saying Barkley is "rested" and I'd drop Luiz - too ponderous on the ball and always giving silly free kicks away on the edge of the box.
Onto the wingers - I don't fancy Ghazi Traore or Trez for this game . For me it's Ramsay in one of the positions .

If you’re not going to compete individually and as a unit then it doesn’t matter who you pick or what the set up and formation is. You have to turn up and be prepared to fight for the right to play.

Dean and the coaching staff have got a job on their hands to instil that in just a week.

If you’re not going to compete individually and as a unit then it doesn’t matter who you pick or what the set up and formation is. You have to turn up and be prepared to fight for the right to play.

Dean and the coaching staff have got a job on their hands to instil that in just a week.
Especially at Leeds, because as erratic as they can be, they are never found wanting in the fighting department.
We have to compete or be blown away.

On Twitter possibly the most deluded, trolling anti-Villa tweets are from Leeds.

So if we lose I will stay well away from Twitter just-in-case.

I don't want another repeat of Dean smith saying after the game we only turned up second-half because unless we start right in their faces and match what you know is coming then I fear the worst?

Keep it tight and give it a 110% effort then I see no reason why we can't get a good result at the antiquated Leeds dump because apart from the effort they put into games, they actually aren't that good and heavily rely on 3-4 decent players to get results.

Last edited:
We need to be right up for this from the off. We also need to try something different although im not sure we will? If Barkley starts he must have a gentlemans agreement that he plays if available. I dont see how he should play in this otherwise given his form. So for me its

Martinez
Elmo, Konsa, Mings, Targett
Nakamba, Sanson
Bert, Ramsey, McGinn
Watkins.

We could have done with Cash for this.

Especially at Leeds, because as erratic as they can be, they are never found wanting in the fighting department.
We have to compete or be blown away.

I have prepared myself for a heavy defeat already so it will soften the blow. I was eagerly waiting for this game hoping to beat them and take revenge for our earlier defeat. Even with Jack, I am never confident of beating them as they have a superior style of play or should I say at least have a style of play. Without Jack and Cash, I am worried about our attacking and defensive performances both.

I have prepared myself for a heavy defeat already so it will soften the blow. I was eagerly waiting for this game hoping to beat them and take revenge for our earlier defeat. Even with Jack, I am never confident of beating them as they have a superior style of play or should I say at least have a style of play. Without Jack and Cash, I am worried about our attacking and defensive performances both.

Yet Deano has a superior record in both the Championship and the Premier League.

Don't believe all the hype in the media.

Need to make a couple of changes for this one, especially in midfield. We definitely need more energy in the middle of the pitch. I think a proper “shuffle” of the team could be required, there’s 3 or 4 positions which could be changed.

Sansom and Ramsey in for Barkley and El Gahzi for me. Our midfield is like a sieve and too easy to play through. A bit more energy from players out to make a name for themselves. I’d be tempted to give Nakamba a start as well.
If we can’t match Leeds for energy they’ll run us into the ground.

I wasn’t hopeful, even with a fit SJ against Leicester. Same with this game. Not because they are as stellar as made out because they are absolutely not. But they are actually good at what they do, even if it is successful or not (and I do not think they will succeed in the long run tbh). And if there is one thing that Smith’s villa are not good at coping with, and never has been, is a team that presses us and puts us under pressure. Leeds will do this come rain or shine and based on what I am seeing at the moment and have seen we need to drastically up our game intensity and become less passive to cope with them.

Yesterday’s game had a very last season familiarity about it before, during and indeed as soon as the game kicked off. I knew exactly what was coming from Leicester. Intensity , pressing, first to everything and we were so on the back foot and passive in the first half that we lost the game and the initiative straight away. It was all very predictable like it was so many times last season.

Leeds are not special but 3 times Smith has faced Bielsa‘s Leeds and all we have got to show is the disputed point away in 2019. Smith needs to get us set up differently because how we are at the moment will not yield a result. We are too passive and are ok when teams sit back against us but when they come at us like Leicester did we look really poor and devoid of ideas and like yesterday dick around at the back before a long ball at a small and isolated Watkins.

Really concerned about this one I’m afraid. Like before Leicester, for me there is an air of inevitability about what to expect and what will happen.

Last edited:
I would generally agree with that, but I think he will realise (hopefully) that a bollocking is on the cards and stiffen the midfield, where we were hopelessly overun yesterday.
We have to sort that cheating bastard Bamford out this time aswell,because if we persist with this zonal marking they will have a field day, and someone has to be designated to get a grip on him.
Gone 2-0 Leeds on the Erod, but secretly fancy a draw.