Leeds match | Page 5 | Vital Football

Leeds match

In principle, I have no problem with poor referees. Hear me out here...

A poor referee is just that. Poor. He will make bad decisions, but both teams are subject to bad decisions, so if he's just out and out crap, then both teams remain on a level playing field. There's no advantage gained, so whilst it's frustrating, there's still a fair game and the decisions, good or bad, should balance out.

What I do have a monumentally huge problem with is biased referees. The idiot in charge today was giving everything Leeds' way. Any contact whatsoever, however slight, was given as a Leeds free kick. A good few he gave when there wasn't even any contact. On the flip side, all Leeds were short of was having our players in full nelsons and figure four leg locks, yet the moron in black simply waved play on.

I'm not normally one to complain about referees. It's actually a very difficult job in such a fast paced and physical league, and they can make mistakes. They're human, and I accept that. Today was shocking though. If the FA have any integrity, they'll be investigating Madley, because no-one can be THAT bad unless they're doing it deliberately.

There are no words for the absolute contempt I have for that idiot. He should never be seen on a football pitch ever again.
The referee was fairly consistent in blowing for fouls. I thought he spotted most and he also trusted the linesmen who flagged for a few. According to the stats Leeds committed more fouls than us, so there doesn’t appear to be some systemic bias against us. As I said in my post above, I though he could have clamped down on the persistent fouling on Moore sooner, but otherwise I agreed with most of the decisions.

Having seen the Williams challenge back I can understand the decision. However aside from that I thought the referees performance was utterly woeful due to his inconsistency. If he deemed the first challenge from Williams a yellow for breaking up play then the Leeds player should have also seen one shortly after for a similar one on Jacobs for pulling him by the shoulder shortly after when he was nearing the box. Likewise evans in the second was tripped from behind deep into Leeds territory and no card was forthcoming yet he himself got a yellow minutes later for something similar.

It’s 3 shit refs in a row now. Firstly Cardiff for not dismissing two players for red card challenges, Homer Simpson last week for his inept display and then this clown yesterday. It’s unacceptable to happen 3 weeks in a row and I hope club will be taking this up with the authorities to look into why we have been subject to such poor officiating in every match.

It was a poor challenge from Williams where the ref could have justified giving a straight red
The fact that Williams was fouled before making the challenge is completely irrelevant
It's also incorrect IMO to say that the foul on Williams caused the state of Williams challenge on Bamford

It was a stupid poor challenge, but the replays clearly show he had possession until he was pulled back. That caused the ball to get away from him and then diving in. If Williams isn't fouled he stays on his feet and still has possession. To be punished for the result of being fouled. Unless retaliation is not right.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree about what happened yesterday! I just view what happened as a result of him being pulled back and fouled. If someone is pushed into another player and fouls them would the ref see it differently? The ref did himself no favours, it was very strange seeing us take the resulting free kick after Williams was sent off for committing a foul.

Joe Williams was asking for trouble making 2 silly tackles like he did for no reason - ref couldn't wait to give a second yellow and he gave him an easy excuse. As bad as ref was you have to protect yourself and use your head and Williams let his team mates down by pure stupidity.

Massey disappointed and Jacobs largely went missing again I'd drop both for Boro. Moore was man handled constantly but still won most of the high balls but he had no runners to feed off his good work. Very impressed with Kieffer looking forward to getting him on the pitch with Windass. Lowe looks like a real player just needs to start a game on the right as he does look like he's trying to cut back from the left where he's largely found himself.

Any cross put into the danger area is becoming a serious issue for us it seems like in all 4 games so far this season it's pure confusion in our back line giving opposition free headers from 5 yards out. Both goals we conceeded today were awful - it's so frustrating that we limited Leeds to very few dangerous shots and lost out to such pathetic goals. I'd say only 1 of the 8 we've let in this season was acceptable defensively - the lads battle and work their socks off but too much ball watching, midfielders not tracking runners and confusion over who is picking up who are killing us. I'm really concerned about us at centre half they've all been dodgy this season so far. I hoped when window shut we had the quality we needed but even Mulgrew and Fox who are meant to be our steadying influences looked just as shakey as Kipre and Dunkley. Ashley Williams still free might be worth a phone call to see if he could be tempted to come in if 2 of the 4 of them don't pick up soon.

Ref was shocking and seriously hurt our chances but I think Leeds for as slick as they were at moving the ball about were poor in the final third and a bit soft at the back and there to be beaten today but we made costly mistakes and gave them the points. Proud of the battle and heart the lads showed we went down swinging but we really shot ourselves in the foot today with silly costly errors.

Got 5 good fixtures now against beatable teams that could all potentially be considered 6 pointers so need to be taking at least 8 or 9 points from those. Tough ask but if we don't want to be down in the dog fight these are the games that will keep you out of it. As 8 of the 9 after those are much tougher so we need points in the bag and a buffer built up before going ingredients into thar hard run.
Williams good shout would you think he'd be affordable wages wise especially after adding mulgrew?

24% of possession in a home game, allowing for the sending off its not great is it or am I being to harsh

Looking at stats we had the massive amount of two shots on target but I know we were on the defensive because of the air brained Everton reject but our 90 odd accurate passes to Dirty Leeds 480 odd accurate passes doesn't look great for a so called passing set up. Our defense too is worth a goal or more start each game from dead ball situations alone. Nothing at all done about this in close season but the one Rovers didn't want and a keeper Hull didn't want.
We have got to stop for once this pretence that we are a fancy passing football 4 2 3 1 side. We arent. It will be our downfall with the players we have.
By your warped negative logic most players signed by any club would be "rejects" and "not wanted" by their former clubs. So what do you suggest we do, go to clubs and offer massive transfer fees and wages to player to persuade them to sell us players that they are not rejecting???

Did they get a direct free kick inside the box 2nd half or can I add shit eyes to everything else that's falling to feckin bits.

The referee was fairly consistent in blowing for fouls. I thought he spotted most and he also trusted the linesmen who flagged for a few. According to the stats Leeds committed more fouls than us, so there doesn’t appear to be some systemic bias against us. As I said in my post above, I though he could have clamped down on the persistent fouling on Moore sooner, but otherwise I agreed with most of the decisions.
There were definately more fouls committed by Leeds than us, but a lot of them went unpunished by free kicks and the number of yellows issued was vastly disproportionate. So the figures quoted don't prove that the referee was not overly leanient with Leeds players

I could see he was walking a tight rope from where i was sat i told my mates this lad gonna get sent off cook needs get him off and what happens so thats why he should have took him off and put McLeod on and we might have not lost the game

The ref was poor and embarrassingly inconsistent, but by no means was the reason we lost. The sending off looked correct at the time and my has only been reafirmed in my mind by the replays. I thought the challenge on Moore early in the second looked like a clear pen, and the leeds bench didnt seem to be treated the same way ours was. Unfortunately that's down to the FA to ensure a balanced and competent official. The bit Cook needs to look at is another pair of unchallenged headers in the box (I didn't notice at the time, but replays show it was Fox asleep on both). Also we didnt move as a unit in the way Leeds were doing, giving 3 or 4 options to the man with the ball. On the other side, Moore looks like he'll be a huge asset to us and will give us that bit extra away from home that we didnt have last year.

Just to add, I think the experiment of Fox on set pieces should have given us enough info to file it away as a bad idea

This williams lad as form Someone said he bit a Preston player last season and did a very bad tackle on a Liverpool player like to read more about this if any one as any more info

Let's hope that Williams learns from this for the rest of his time with us,if he doesn't it will be a short stay. It's the first booking that I will never understand,the player is just in our half,we have plenty back to cover, but he just tripped him when the player went passed him,which shows as being very immature.

Did they get a direct free kick inside the box 2nd half or can I add shit eyes to everything else that's falling to feckin bits.

Yep, on around 73 minutes, we thought the ref had awarded a penalty, i was going to walk out in disgust at the referee's incompetence, couldn't believe what i was seeing. (im nearly sure it should have been a corner)

Not like me to leave early but i did yesterday,

No. It came off Marshall and the post before Bamford scored.

Just watched that first goal again (about 8 times) and no way does Marshall touch the ball, Marshall is flapping about all over the place but doesn't touch the ball, Bamford is in a offside position when he scored.

It was outside (just) that cheating nark Bamford took a huge dive with no contact ending up on the pen spot. At first i thought he'd been book for "simulation" - again, then thought the ref had given a pen but he called it outside the box.
Also just watched Leeds second goal - oh my days - what were Byrne, Robinson and Marshall thinking of ?

It was outside (just) that cheating nark Bamford took a huge dive with no contact ending up on the pen spot. At first i thought he'd been book for "simulation" - again, then thought the ref had given a pen but he called it outside the box.
Also just watched Leeds second goal - oh my days - what were Byrne, Robinson and Marshall thinking of ?

Oh right...just didn't make sense at the time. The more I see of Marshall the more I'm no likey.