Led Zep | Vital Football

Led Zep

BEEFY

Vital Football Legend
If you're chosen to perform Stairway to Heaven in front of the President and all of Led Zeppelin, then you've really got to pull something special out of the bag.

My god, these buggers nailed it. Even made Plant cry it was so powerful when the choir kicks in near the end.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/12/27/heart-plays-led-zeppelins-stairway-to-heaven-makes-robert-plant-cry-video/

My default position is that no one should ever cover that song.

My default position has now shifted to Heart are allowed! lol

Saw Plant live the other night Beefy, I must admit as a pretty non emotional bloke, I could have cried at a couple of the songs. Humbling!

Rolfs version was better (just kidding)very emotional and i'm not a heavy rock fan at all but I did always like that record.

Great performance that by Heart, thanks for posting it up.

No, I definitely didn't like it myself.

It was just too overloaded with all that "Britain's Got Talent" guff, where Amanda Holden's reaction shots are part of the performance.

Plant and co were forced into the same role, and even the President had to pull the right face.

It just ain't rock an' roll baby.

Anne and Nancy Wilson had a side project band when Heart was in hiatus that they called the Lovemongers and if memory serves me right they did a few Zep songs in that period. Anne has one of the most astounding female rock vocals I have ever heard and this clip just proves she and Nancy have lost none of their craft. Not sure about the bowler hats but I like the very edited version they played. Great to see some other rock celebs honouring the mighty Zeppelin.

Main problem with that song is some think it is the only song Zep ever did, whereas I don't think it would make my top twenty, not because it isn't good, (over played yes!!) but because they did so many gems

They did but stairway to heaven is just something that sits in that top drawer all on its own. With so many powerful lines that all come together, its hard to pick another song that comes close.

The Fear - 8/9/2013 17:51

Main problem with that song is some think it is the only song Zep ever did, whereas I don't think it would make my top twenty, not because it isn't good, (over played yes!!) but because they did so many gems

I concur.

I can't say I don't like Stairway To Heaven but I think it strays into pomp rock a little too far.

If given a choice I would probably choose the other side of that Album.

For vocal performance I would probably choose, Since I've Been Loving You.

For head-banging thrills and guitar pyrotechnics, I would probably choose Dazed and Confused.

Stairway To Heaven is good but I am not sure I would put it in my top-ten Led Zep tracks.

Yeah, I lean to the heavy and the bluesier stuff. Same as you, certainly not saying I don't like it, I do, but there are others within their gem ladened career I prefer.