Leam Richardson v Paul Cook | Page 9 | Vital Football

Leam Richardson v Paul Cook

Talking of tinkering, do you think when Kerr is fully fit we will go with three at the back and play with wing backs ?

I think it's a possibility and we will want to have a back 3 as an option we can switch to but I dont think we'll change much until we get injuries or a loss of form / poor results justify a shake up.

We've basically got far too many good players to fit into any system so we can't possibly include the all. But it's a nice problem to have.

I think if you can play wing backs effectively in an attacking way with the left and right centre halfs getting involved in attacks it's very good, but often teams play it in a negative way which is more like a 5 man defence which is dreadful. So I'm neither for nor against the idea of a switch in theory it just depends how well we'd play it. But right now I think we probably need to focus refining our 4-2-3-1 and get that firing on all cylinders.

Let's hope not. Left back and right back should be as they are defenders. Wing backs can possibly work if you have top notch players. At our level it's crap.
Let's concentrate in getting crosses in with a winger and not defenders.

In the modern game movement is everything and overloads are a huge part of a successful style of play. The full backs always have the most time and space when joining attacks so they are real difference makers if they can do it well.

I think good attacking full backs used to be a nice bonus but these days are essential.

Cook at Ipswich P24 W4 L10 D10
Leam at Latics P44 W15 D12 L17

Leam took over a crumbling squad in freefall
We had a terrible run of losses. Garner and kal wanting out. Had a lot of tough losses in there and losing leads. Then Sunderland and Burton away gava a bit of hope. He had a transfer window and made a team that put together a great escape. Mostly in admin. Couple of losses like Swindon maybe didn't matter but still add to the losses and Hull and Bolton count as draws in that record and they produced morale boosting penalty nights. This is Leams squad now and he's been well backed and the league table and general feel at the club are all on the increase.

Cook took over a team in a good postiton and took them backwards. Was also well back in summer but the results and general feel there is sour as well.

I'm happy we've got Leam based on all that. I'm wondering how long cook will get now.

Make no mistake about it, that Ipswich team will take A LOT of gelling (maybe even longer than their Hierarchy are willing to give Cook).
They really are unbalanced at the moment, excessively top heavy in Midfield & Attack, and bare bones at the back.
Will Morsy make a difference? ...I'm not so sure it will.

IF Cook is still Ipswich Manager in January (which I very much doubt), I can see him going back into the transfer market to get Dunkley and Kiprè to shore up his defence.

I wouldn't say they are bare bones defensively.

They've got Walton, Hlandky, Holy for keeper.

They've got Morsy, Evans, Harper and Carroll to sit in front of the back 4.

Then Burgess, Edmundson, Woolfeden and Nisala for centre half.

Then they've got Penny, Coulson, Vincent-Young and Donacien for full backs.

I think they have their full contingent of 2 good players in every defensive spot with 10 of the 15 defensive players being signed in the summer.

I think they've got possibly the most balanced and deep squad in the division. If the window was open any longer I think they probably wouldn't have sign anyone else.

I wouldn't say they are bare bones defensively.

They've got Walton, Hlandky, Holy for keeper.

They've got Morsy, Evans, Harper and Carroll to sit in front of the back 4.

Then Burgess, Edmundson, Woolfeden and Nisala for centre half.

Then they've got Penny, Coulson, Vincent-Young and Donacien for full backs.

I think they have their full contingent of 2 good players in every defensive spot with 10 of the 15 defensive players being signed in the summer.

I think they've got possibly the most balanced and deep squad in the division. If the window was open any longer I think they probably wouldn't have sign anyone else.
I meant "bare bones" as in, their entire back 4 are absolute bobbins, and given the fact they've already conceded 15 goals (most conceded in League 1), I guess I'm not far wrong...

In the modern game movement is everything and overloads are a huge part of a successful style of play. The full backs always have the most time and space when joining attacks so they are real difference makers if they can do it well.

I think good attacking full backs used to be a nice bonus but these days are essential.
They always did king. We have had an history of defenders coming forward and overlapping with a winger ie Billy Sutherland, Leighton Baines, Alan Tankard, Kevin Kilbane but there wasnt a reliance on them getting the crosses in. That was the job of the winger but we were not stuck in the rut of one striker and two lines of midfielders then either.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/itfc-boss-paul-cook-on-leam-richardson-debate-8332700

Saw this earlier. Cook is still saying all the same guff he came out with here to try to defend woeful performances and results.

I doubt the new Ipswich owners, with all the money they've put in, will have the seemingly unlimited patience our owners at the time gave him: with the benefit of hindsight, our Chinese shysters couldn't have cared less... I doubt the new Ipswich owners feel the same.

He's my odds on favourite to get the chop first in L1.

The Ipswich squad is obviously very good and if it ever wakes up they should shoot up the league table and pose a threat. So for me the best case scenario is they limp along picking up just enough decent results to keep Cook employed without every picking up enough steam to get near us or fail badly enough to see him sacked and they get someone better in who should have no issue getting more out of those players.

I like the guy and genuinely hope he does well. However judging by his recent press conferences I do get the sense his time maybe running out if he doesn’t get a couple of victories soon. And yes I do think he’s missing an assistant.

I saw an article from Ipswich on this recently (think it might have been posted on here earlier) they said Cook brought in 3 people: the kit man from here, Gary Roberts in his first job and Francis Jeffers who's only worked with Prem u23's at Everton. It's not exactly a qualified or experienced set up - it feels like he's gone for his best mates rather than people who have the required skills.

Compare that to what Richardson went out and brought in, Richardson might also be friends with his coaches but they were all highly qualified for the job and brought in a lot of things that Richardson doesn't necessarily have.

The article said former Ipswich player and Colchester manager John McGreal has started hanging around, so they are expecting he could be drafted in.

The Ipswich squad is obviously very good and if it ever wakes up they should shoot up the league table and pose a threat. So for me the best case scenario is they limp along picking up just enough decent results to keep Cook employed without every picking up enough steam to get near us or fail badly enough to see him sacked and they get someone better in who should have no issue getting more out of those players.
Why would any Wigan supporter want to see Paul Cook being sacked? I am eternally grateful to him for what he has done for the club at the start of the pandemic. And he left the club without asking for severance pay.

Why would any Wigan supporter want to see Paul Cook being sacked? I am eternally grateful to him for what he has done for the club at the start of the pandemic. And he left the club without asking for severance pay.

Who's saying they want him sacked? I said the opposite as I think him getting sacked would be worse news for us than it would for Ipswich at the moment.

He also left the club at a time his stock was at an all time high, there were plenty of good jobs going, he was heavily linked with various other clubs and didn't want to risk potential employers being put off by paying the large compo fee to get him (like Sunderland were 6 months earlier). It wasn't a totally selfless act but one that suited both parties at the time.

I know wages plays a big part in football but I would have thought. Morsy. Was better than. League one. Was superb for us. Was getting game time at mildlesboro

I heard mixed versions of events but apparently Morsy desperately didn't want to go, Warnock didn't really want him to go either but they got apparently 2m quid for a 30 year old who they paid 200k for a year earlier and the board saw it as a good chance to balance the books and thought it was too good to turn down.

Apparently he was on 12k at Boro so I imagine Ipswich had to match that and give him 3 years to make him consider taking the move.

I heard mixed versions of events but apparently Morsy desperately didn't want to go, Warnock didn't really want him to go either but they got apparently 2m quid for a 30 year old who they paid 200k for a year earlier and the board saw it as a good chance to balance the books and thought it was too good to turn down.

Apparently he was on 12k at Boro so I imagine Ipswich had to match that and give him 3 years to make him consider taking the move.
Do we get a cut of the £1.8M profit they made?

Cooky going John Beck style. Long ball lumped upfield to his lone striker. Giving up the tippy tappy or just desperation?

My post had no relevance to the style of play, but simply to acknowledge the positive result in light of his father's passing.

I doubt if either he or his departed dad cared a jot how the win came, and I'm not sure why you'd choose to try and score with such a petty comment.

Sorry mate.