Leam Richardson v Paul Cook | Page 7 | Vital Football

Leam Richardson v Paul Cook

With Ipswich fans saying Cook is nothing without Leam I'm interested to hear what posters think of the difference now in our tactics and general play compared to when Cooky was here. Is Leam doing anything different or are they both using the same approach and tactics

In any coaching team managers and their staff play different roles to contribute to success. Some managers are involved in everything with their coaches almost being interchangeable assistants. While others are quite hands off with the on the grass coaching and their staff are vital to getting the side mechanically right while he focuses on transfers, decision making, motivating and leading. In those instances those coaches are often technically good but not leaders and the manager and coaches make up a good manager between them.

In this instances it seems that what Cook lost in Richardson, Barry, Colgan, Meace he hasn't been able to make up for it himself or find anyone who can fill the gaps he has.

While Richardson has either been able to takeover all of Cooks responsibility himself or find the staff able to do so.

Cook has been at Ipswich for quite a long time now he's not new and finding his feet and given a huge budget to sign quite literally a L1 dream team that should be able to win the league at a canter. Obviously with the quantity of new players he'll say he needs more time for it to gel, while that is a fair point you cant ignore what Cook inherited - a club in the play off mix - but their play off chances utterly collapsed on his arrival last season. So that is 2 completely different sets of players disasterously underperforming for him - is it the players or the coaching that is the issue?

When you look at what Richardson inherited, the circumstances, the budget and results - he had it worse in every way but managed to do a significantly better job. So I think it's pretty clear that regardless of if Cook manages to turn it around given time that Cook is missing Richardson a lot more than Richardson is missing Cook.

The natural ability in the Ipswich squad could mean that he ends up like Caldwell a iffy manager but his team eventually got going and won the league on sheer individual quality he was able to buy - outspending the rest of the league. But at the moment it feels very much like Richardson was a more important cog in Cooks coaching staff than Cook himself.

In any coaching team managers and their staff play different roles to contribute to success. Some managers are involved in everything with their coaches almost being interchangeable assistants. While others are quite hands off with the on the grass coaching and their staff are vital to getting the side mechanically right while he focuses on transfers, decision making, motivating and leading. In those instances those coaches are often technically good but not leaders and the manager and coaches make up a good manager between them.

In this instances it seems that what Cook lost in Richardson, Barry, Colgan, Meace he hasn't been able to make up for it himself or find anyone who can fill the gaps he has.

While Richardson has either been able to takeover all of Cooks responsibility himself or find the staff able to do so.

Cook has been at Ipswich for quite a long time now he's not new and finding his feet and given a huge budget to sign quite literally a L1 dream team that should be able to win the league at a canter. Obviously with the quantity of new players he'll say he needs more time for it to gel, while that is a fair point you cant ignore what Cook inherited - a club in the play off mix - but their play off chances utterly collapsed on his arrival last season. So that is 2 completely different sets of players disasterously underperforming for him - is it the players or the coaching that is the issue?

When you look at what Richardson inherited, the circumstances, the budget and results - he had it worse in every way but managed to do a significantly better job. So I think it's pretty clear that regardless of if Cook manages to turn it around given time that Cook is missing Richardson a lot more than Richardson is missing Cook.

The natural ability in the Ipswich squad could mean that he ends up like Caldwell a iffy manager but his team eventually got going and won the league on sheer individual quality he was able to buy - outspending the rest of the league. But at the moment it feels very much like Richardson was a more important cog in Cooks coaching staff than Cook himself.

Perhaps if PC gets the knock at Ipswich Liam may offer him a backroom staff job 🤔😉

Last edited:
Never rated paul cook.

That's fair enough .......but based on his record here, you (and others) were obviously wrong.

He won the league.
He then kept us up.
He then had us mid table (before the points deduction.

No matter how he was 'rated", he was successful.

Morsy wont save him, he's shite as well, both a pair of frauds, Cook will be sacked before bommy neet.

T&C, I really don't understand why you've never been approached by some big name football teams given your invaluable insight into players & how fraudulent or headless chicken the players are....surely with that talent you've been approached by several footballing giants to be their PAG.....player analysis guru??????🤔😉

Perhaps if PC gets the knock at Ipswich Liam may offer him a backroom staff job 🤔😉

Cook did a fantastic job for us following administration taking over and Liam made the correct decision not to follow him to Ipswich.
Should he come cap in hand to Liam he should just tell Cook many thank for your application but on this occasion you've been unsucssesfull.
I'll never question Cooks commitment post administration though.

But he didn't lose his job.
Dare I say, he jumped ship thinking he would get what he wanted quickly.
Otherwise if he was thinking of the club why not stay and work on a reduced package?
Pretty sure Krasner had a lot to do with Cooky leaving.
Krasner agreed to sell Kieffer Moore to Cardiff the same day as our do or die game against Fulham, and only told Cooky & Moore the deal had been agreed shortly before kick off, and by all accounts, Cooky was on the verge of giving him a straightener.

Never rated paul cook. Said many.he boosts the worse away record in our our history. Of games without a win. Always praised the opposition saying how good they were. Before playing them Said the same yesterday. About bolton. The thing that will save him is Sammy Morsey

he was the one I said was coming back weeks ago

Where is he coming in from and what's his role?

I can't say I ever knew he was there previously.

I have genuinely thought about that but I don't think Cook would accept taking the back seat and it doesn't seem like Richardson needs him.

I think it's interesting to recall that our turn around 2 seasons ago seemed to start when Cook was banned from the touchline and Richardson started being the one running the game. Might not have been a coincidence.

Not wishing to gloat, but I will be looking at Ipswich post match interview videos for Hull City away type meltdowns.

Mr Cook, unfortunately wont be able to sign Liam Ridgewell on a short term deal in January.

I agree John, but ultimately, the record's an irrelevant one, as he still managed to keep us up (comfortably in the end) anyway.
He didn't though, did he?
All those last minute defeats and boring 0-0 snore fests cost us dear.

If we had reversed just half of those last minute defeats, we would've finished comfortably inside the Top 10, and survived relegation, even with a 12 or 15 point deduction.

You could also argue that the "Hong Kong Dongers" wouldn't have put us into Administration, if there was a chance of reaching the play offs...

I think you misunderstood EV. I was (obviously I thought) referring to the season in which Cook managed to achieve our survival despite the weight of that away record.

As for the Admin season, well anyone who lays blame at Cook's feet for that is (in my opinion) simply doing it from a one eyed point of view... I doubt those would ever give Cook credit for anything.

A simple refereeing decision, in any game, especially the last, is all it would have taken to change our fate.

That said, if admin and relegation is the price for getting rid of "the HK dongers", (and of course for getting our new owners) then I'm happy to have paid it.

I think you misunderstood EV. I was (obviously I thought) referring to the season in which Cook managed to achieve our survival despite the weight of that away record.

As for the Admin season, well anyone who lays blame at Cook's feet for that is (in my opinion) simply doing it from a one eyed point of view... I doubt those would ever give Cook credit for anything.

A simple refereeing decision, in any game, especially the last, is all it would have taken to change our fate.

That said, if admin and relegation is the price for getting rid of "the HK dongers", (and of course for getting our new owners) then I'm happy to have paid it.
Ahh right... the 18/19 season, the one which we started like a rocket, then probably due to his own managerial naiveties, started to play safe away from home with zero success.
We only started to go for it again away from home at Leeds on the Good Friday.

As for the administration season, I'm not blaming Cooky entirely, but whether you like it or not, he was a contributing factor.

Like I said, would the Dongers have pulled the trigger if we were on the verge of the play offs? ...Nobody can say for certain one way or the other, but the Big Bucks of the Premier League on the horizon would've probably been too tempting to pass up.

Anyways... all that's ancient history now, and like you said, going through all of that to get rid of the Dongers, and get Talal and his team in was probably (just about) worth the pain and suffering we went through.

I agree with most of that EV ... but your opening two sentences effectively underwrite what I said to WalgarthJohn .... that the away record was basically irrelevant given our finishing position.

Anyway, no point looking backwards ... I think we're all enjoying the achievements of the team, not to mention the commitment of the owner/Chairman.