League Two Summer Business | Page 3 | Vital Football

League Two Summer Business

They are done as a club.
Need to drift off in to NL, were lucky last year, unless they get goals from somewhere they will drop.

honestly pal, Welshy was more than comfortable in the Championship as well. You've got one hell of a player there! Very sad to lose him, but buzzing for his new challenge. #PNEFC #GTFC

Ha ha, they are talking about him from 2 years ago.

You do realise he's played 15 games in two whole seasons. He is past it, and a walking yellow card.

Welsh a good signing?!?!?!!? 34, and played 15 games in 2 years. Awful signing, on perhaps big wages.

I actually think Grimsby's signings are the worst I have seen in this division.

I think I am right in saying he has signed 5 CM's.

Grimsby for the drop.

Grimsby are a massive unknown quantity. They have a new and very inexperienced manager - can he repeat the great escape over the course of a whole season? That is actually quite interesting. Most saviour-managers fail to deliver the following season and are gone by November, but he could just make a go of it. He has employed a management team as inexperienced as he is, which seems a strange thing to do. He has a huge turnover of players to cope with - 15 gone so far with one more still to make a decision on his contract offer. Most of Slade's squad had to go because they were dreadful, but the seven replacements so far look no better. Different name, more of the same.

One defender came from dire Chesterfield (Alex Whitmore), and appears to have been signed because Jolley knew him as a teenager at the Burnley Academy. The other one (Harry Davis) has been playing in the Scottish Championship, which is National League standard at best.

In midfield, Welsh is completely finished, a terrible signing. At nearly 35, younger, faster midfielders will run rings round him, even if he can stay fit. We know what Elliott Whitehouse's limitations are (make a list), and Jake Hessenthaler has not scored for 63 matches. Admittedly, he has been playing in League One, but even for a defensive midfielder, that is an awful return.

One new striker couldn't get a game at Luton (Jordan Cook) and the other has come from an obscure regional division club in Spain (Louis Robles).

Grimsby only scored 42 goals last season - how is that going to change with those signings so far? They have no creativity in midfield and no proven strikers. If those seven have been signed as squad players, then fine. Let's see who he signs as first choices. But they are handing two-year deals to some of these guys, which could backfire horribly.

So: rookie manager, rookie management team, mediocre signings so far. Other clubs at the bottom appear to have made better signings by comparison (Cheltenham, Forest Green, Port Vale, Stevenage).

Jolley's appointment, his management team and his signings could prove an inspiration. Or an unmitigated disaster.

Grimsby are a massive unknown quantity. They have a new and very inexperienced manager - can he repeat the great escape over the course of a whole season? That is actually quite interesting. Most saviour-managers fail to deliver the following season and are gone by November, but he could just make a go of it. He has employed a management team as inexperienced as he is, which seems a strange thing to do. He has a huge turnover of players to cope with - 15 gone so far with one more still to make a decision on his contract offer. Most of Slade's squad had to go because they were dreadful, but the seven replacements so far look no better. Different name, more of the same.

One defender came from dire Chesterfield (Alex Whitmore), and appears to have been signed because Jolley knew him as a teenager at the Burnley Academy. The other one (Harry Davis) has been playing in the Scottish Championship, which is National League standard at best.

In midfield, Welsh is completely finished, a terrible signing. At nearly 35, younger, faster midfielders will run rings round him, even if he can stay fit. We know what Elliott Whitehouse's limitations are (make a list), and Jake Hessenthaler has not scored for 63 matches. Admittedly, he has been playing in League One, but even for a defensive midfielder, that is an awful return.

One new striker couldn't get a game at Luton (Jordan Cook) and the other has come from an obscure regional division club in Spain (Louis Robles).

Grimsby only scored 42 goals last season - how is that going to change with those signings so far? They have no creativity in midfield and no proven strikers. If those seven have been signed as squad players, then fine. Let's see who he signs as first choices. But they are handing two-year deals to some of these guys, which could backfire horribly.

So: rookie manager, rookie management team, mediocre signings so far. Other clubs at the bottom appear to have made better signings by comparison (Cheltenham, Forest Green, Port Vale, Stevenage).

Jolley's appointment, his management team and his signings could prove an inspiration. Or an unmitigated disaster.

Nice to have a little sensible perspective on here and probably as it stands just about right. A new management team and 7 new signings is an unknown quantity at any team. We can only be encouraged by our form at the end of the season with what was a poor team. Does any of us know if our new signings will work. Its a lottery for us all. Personally I hope we both do well as long as we finish higher. As a club you are in a better place than us at present but we seem to be getting things right again on and off the pitch. However only time will tell for both of us.

Nice to have a little sensible perspective on here and probably as it stands just about right. A new management team and 7 new signings is an unknown quantity at any team. We can only be encouraged by our form at the end of the season with what was a poor team. Does any of us know if our new signings will work. Its a lottery for us all. Personally I hope we both do well as long as we finish higher. As a club you are in a better place than us at present but we seem to be getting things right again on and off the pitch. However only time will tell for both of us.
I still think you have one of the weaker squads in the league. Some of the signings and players look decent though. Whitehouse and Davis for example.
But I also hope you stay in the same league as us for the derby’s. And of course 6 easy points for us.

Definitely wouldn't want to see Grimsby going into non league again, but I'm more than happy for them to be in a different league - if we are in league 1 and they are in League 2!

To add, they think Jolley is one of the most tactically astute managers in D2. They are pretty deluded really. They are basing it on a few dodgy penalties that helped them scrape to safety. He may well turn out to be a decent manager, but to call it now, as he is tactically astute is a complete joke.

Worst side I saw here last season, and I genuinely mean that.

Grimsby fan in peace here.

Not sure we think Jolley's biggest attribute is his tactical acumen but more his more modern training and fitness regimes. He turned a very very poor side last season, which looked unfit and disjointed, into a team that fought for each other and kept going until the final whistle. They were also very much more organised.

After a few years with Bignot and Slade in charge and their more questionable training methods, this guy made a refreshing change. He's also made much more of an effort to become part of the community, all of which has given a feel good factor to the club again.

As to the signings, I'm fairly pleased so far. We have a combination of young hungry players with something to prove together with some seasoned football league professionals. They all seem to share attributes of being hardworking whilst being decent technically for the level.

Having said that, I'm not expecting us to be near you guys, I suspect you guys may well go up this year but I expect us to be around the middle of the table maybe the outside of the play-offs at a push (pre season optimism ). I don't expect us to be involved in a relegation fight again.

Although we will probably take a few months to gel all these new players together, I think we'll finish the season strong.

It will just be nice to see some decent football again at BP after a year of Sladeball.

To add, they think Jolley is one of the most tactically astute managers in D2. They are pretty deluded really. They are basing it on a few dodgy penalties that helped them scrape to safety. He may well turn out to be a decent manager, but to call it now, as he is tactically astute is a complete joke.

Worst side I saw here last season, and I genuinely mean that.

Yep Jim we got the message. All Town fans agreed it was the worst Town team for a long time that's what Russel Slade did to us. I would have happily run him over for what he did. As for Jolley we are very hopeful that he has good tactical knowledge based on what we saw at the end of the season regardless of the penalties. I guess as hopeful as you were when the Cowleys made the move. We have had a fall from grace but at least we've been there which you haven't. We have a much better record against yourselves and I am sure normal service will be resumed fairly soon despite your comments on our squad. Enjoy the ride and leave that chip off your shoulder.

Not sure we think Jolley's biggest attribute is his tactical acumen but more his more modern training and fitness regimes. He turned a very very poor side last season, which looked unfit and disjointed, into a team that fought for each other and kept going until the final whistle. They were also very much more organised.

After a few years with Bignot and Slade in charge and their more questionable training methods, this guy made a refreshing change. He's also made much more of an effort to become part of the community, all of which has given a feel good factor to the club again.

As to the signings, I'm fairly pleased so far. We have a combination of young hungry players with something to prove together with some seasoned football league professionals. They all seem to share attributes of being hardworking whilst being decent technically for the level.

Having said that, I'm not expecting us to be near you guys, I suspect you guys may well go up this year but I expect us to be around the middle of the table maybe the outside of the play-offs at a push (pre season optimism ). I don't expect us to be involved in a relegation fight again.

Although we will probably take a few months to gel all these new players together, I think we'll finish the season strong.

It will just be nice to see some decent football again at BP after a year of Sladeball.
Jolley seems decent enough a manager. He’ll be interesting to watch next season.

What did Grimsby fans think of Charles Vernam? Slade signing on loan from Derby. Didn’t play much?

Jolley seems decent enough a manager. He’ll be interesting to watch next season.

What did Grimsby fans think of Charles Vernam? Slade signing on loan from Derby. Didn’t play much?

Rated Vernam. Was playing well and was a bright spark until Slade put him out wide and then he unfortunately got injured. You in for him?

Yep Jim we got the message. All Town fans agreed it was the worst Town team for a long time that's what Russel Slade did to us. I would have happily run him over for what he did. As for Jolley we are very hopeful that he has good tactical knowledge based on what we saw at the end of the season regardless of the penalties. I guess as hopeful as you were when the Cowleys made the move. We have had a fall from grace but at least we've been there which you haven't. We have a much better record against yourselves and I am sure normal service will be resumed fairly soon despite your comments on our squad. Enjoy the ride and leave that chip off your shoulder.

There is no chip on my shoulder. We are very similar size clubs, what I think is hugely different is we have a forward thinking chairman, board and chief executive that are using our success to move us on as a club.

I am not sure in your history that you have done that, ie, training facilities, squad, engagement with community, Season ticket sales - and others to mention. That's why I think you travelled back down to L2, and did not sustain your success. In my opinion until you look longer term, you will kick about down here - I hope we will move in opposite directions. I note again our new stadium was talked about this morning on the western growth corridor of the City - Lincoln is a vibrant place at the moment that is having money pumped in left, right and centre - The club is rightly jumping on this.

I actually think those last two signings for Grimsby are pretty good.

Pretty hypocritical for some of the people on here to write off players that haven’t played for a couple seasons whonsigns for Grimsby. Yet if we do the same will say good signing, Cowleys will sort them out etc. Obviously Cowleys have a decent track record, but you never can be sure. Jolley to me seems a similar breed to the Cowleys in terms of sport science, high fitness etc. Grimsby are currently a bit of an unknown, but I don’t think they’ll even be flirting with relegation next season.

There is no chip on my shoulder. We are very similar size clubs, what I think is hugely different is we have a forward thinking chairman, board and chief executive that are using our success to move us on as a club.

I am not sure in your history that you have done that, ie, training facilities, squad, engagement with community, Season ticket sales - and others to mention. That's why I think you travelled back down to L2, and did not sustain your success. In my opinion until you look longer term, you will kick about down here - I hope we will move in opposite directions. I note again our new stadium was talked about this morning on the western growth corridor of the City - Lincoln is a vibrant place at the moment that is having money pumped in left, right and centre - The club is rightly jumping on this.

And you have done it well and a little reminder for you on our our history. It's not that long ago that we sat top of the championship albeit for a weekend, Wembley was our second home but our fall from grace is very well documented. But like I say we have at least been there and our Buckley years were some of the best in our history. I saw Lincoln play under Moyles not that long ago and even my Imp friend left at half time. You can argue your case a little more when your not in league 2 but your looked way short against Exeter. Doesnt matter about facilities/season ticket sales or if there building a new Next superstore come August - ask Sunderland about that. Things can change quickly for any club our change is coming albeit slowly and to be fair less noticebly.

He’s good with the kids as well.

And you have done it well and a little reminder for you on our our history. It's not that long ago that we sat top of the championship albeit for a weekend, Wembley was our second home but our fall from grace is very well documented. But like I say we have at least been there and our Buckley years were some of the best in our history. I saw Lincoln play under Moyles not that long ago and even my Imp friend left at half time. You can argue your case a little more when your not in league 2 but your looked way short against Exeter. Doesnt matter about facilities/season ticket sales or if there building a new Next superstore come August - ask Sunderland about that. Things can change quickly for any club our change is coming albeit slowly and to be fair less noticebly.

Although many are surprised to find we have spent 34 years in the second tier, albeit more than 50 years ago.

We looked short in the away leg, despite having a legitimate equaliser chalked off, and being the better side at home. Small squad caught up with us.

Think you mean Moyes too. I am happy where we are at and I am pretty confident we will be better than you this season, again. As for whether we challenge, who knows. What I do know is we are well equipped to challenge.

Sunderland is a good example though. But so are Stockport and York...