League One & Two Signings | Vital Football

League One & Two Signings

Very odd that it only appears to post the name of about half a dozen clubs. Left trying to work out which club has released the players listed.Could be a valuable piece of information but at present certainly isn't on my device.
It’s all on my device Chris.
Northampton have released an incredible 13 players.
Unless they had a massive squad, they have a huge rebuilding job.

It’s all on my device Chris.
Northampton have released an incredible 13 players.
Unless they had a massive squad, they have a huge rebuilding job.

And in L2, Stevenage have released 20 players ! The available pool of players is already substantial; though Gills are hopefully keeping an even closer eye on players released from Championship clubs - that`s the calibre we need to aim at if we have desires on another top ten or better finish. Buyers market.

Seems to be a lot of ex - Gills in the released lists. Can't help thinking concentrating on a second career path and playing football on a semi pro basis would be on the mind of many. I really hope we are not going to see dramatic changes in the next twelve months for L1&2 - but tough decisions ahead for many players.

Think you`re right, Suffolk. As much as there is a growing market place for GFC there will be many players who`ll have their lives turned upside down due to diminishing opportunity in pro-football.

It might also make some parents think twice about pushing their sons and daughters in the direction of football academies. The "success rate" for young kids graduating the "system" to a profitable career in football is already extremely low - prospects may reduce even further from now on !

Think you`re right, Suffolk. As much as there is a growing market place for GFC there will be many players who`ll have their lives turned upside down due to diminishing opportunity in pro-football.

It might also make some parents think twice about pushing their sons and daughters in the direction of football academies. The "success rate" for young kids graduating the "system" to a profitable career in football is already extremely low - prospects may reduce even further from now on !
In some ways the current crop will have a better chance than any before or in future. Guys like our young keeper will get games probably next season as number one if we are still alive. Anyone images that the pot of gold will suddenly make things better in a year or two is deluded. If a player has a year left on his Gillingham contract and he in a higher earning player it is unlikely the club will be in a position to offer anywhere near the same amount again.

In some ways the current crop will have a better chance than any before or in future. Guys like our young keeper will get games probably next season as number one if we are still alive. Anyone images that the pot of gold will suddenly make things better in a year or two is deluded. If a player has a year left on his Gillingham contract and he in a higher earning player it is unlikely the club will be in a position to offer anywhere near the same amount again.

I was talking about the younger kids - a person connected with an Academy told me recently that only around 0.1% of kids taken on at an academy end up getting pro football contracts !

As there wont be any fans allowed in until October, do you think we'll be able to sell games on follow? If we do, us season ticket holders should get them free.

As there wont be any fans allowed in until October, do you think we'll be able to sell games on follow?

Personally I would part with good money if the quality of i follow improved - if all games were televised until football returns to normal I wonder if this would generate more income for the club?

I was talking about the younger kids - a person connected with an Academy told me recently that only around 0.1% of kids taken on at an academy end up getting pro football contracts !
I can see clubs having open days/evenings instead of going through academies in future.It is unlikely a club like ours will be able to find the money to finance it even though I think they only pay half the cost.

If a player has a year left on his Gillingham contract and he in a higher earning player it is unlikely the club will be in a position to offer anywhere near the same amount again.

If restrictions are more or less fully relaxed for the 21/22 season then there is no reason why wages wouldn't return to "normal". It'll only be in the upcoming 20/21 season that reduced wages will seem likely while it is unclear when fans will be allowed to return.

If restrictions are more or less fully relaxed for the 21/22 season then there is no reason why wages wouldn't return to "normal". It'll only be in the upcoming 20/21 season that reduced wages will seem likely while it is unclear when fans will be allowed to return.
A fans will I would imagine need to have a job to pay for a ticket .Unemployment is about to go through the roof.We are having Brexit or have you forgotten. Even Brexiteers say their will be a short term dip in the economy because of it.Return to normal in league one and two have you also forgotten that most clubs are dept ridden. No bank will carry more debt they will have massive problems without extending loans to companies like Gillingham FC who will have no chance whatever of paying it back .No this is for the long term.Even if things go well clubs like ours will not be able to employ footballers on two of three grand a week. Because at the end of the day it is the fans who have to pay that money.For those lucky enough to still be working their will be much higher taxes usless of course Boris finds that money tree by selling off the NHS to the highest bidder .Then of course your taxes might not rise .But I hope and pray that the ageing population somehow has less health problems.The country will have debts the size of we have not seen since the war.Massively high paid premier league players or low paid EFL players .No inbetween. Chatham town have a better chance of making it to league one than we have of getting to the Premier league or indeed the very many clubs like us up and down the country.

Last edited:
A fans will I would imagine need to have a job to pay for a ticket .Unemployment is about to go through the roof.We are having Brexit or have you forgotten. Even Brexiteers say their will be a short term dip in the economy because of it.Return to normal in league one and two have you also forgotten that most clubs are dept ridden. No bank will carry more debt they will have massive problems without extending loans to companies like Gillingham FC who will have no chance whatever of paying it back .No this is for the long term.Even if things go well clubs like ours will not be able to employ footballers on two of three grand a week. Because at the end of the day it is the fans who have to pay that money.For those lucky enough to still be working their will be much higher taxes usless of course Boris finds that money tree by selling off the NHS to the highest bidder .Then of course your taxes might not rise .But I hope and pray that the ageing population somehow has less health problems.The country will have debts the size of we have not seen since the war.Massively high paid premier league players or low paid EFL players .No inbetween. Chatham town have a better chance of making it to league one than we have of getting to the Premier league or indeed the very many clubs like us up and down the country.

Hey Chris. Try to cheer yourself up a little it mate.

Tough times, but we’ll get through it 👍

Hey Chris. Try to cheer yourself up a little it mate.

Tough times, but we’ll get through it 👍
Agreed Gillingham can survive but not as it was no way.The one big advantage Medway has over other places is it no longer has that one big employer that some areas depend on.But will crowds go up no .Will other incomes go up no.Almost every leisure business around the world will take time to recover if it ever does.A lot of the Gills faithful are over 60 that will make life difficult. Some of the retired people will have the money but won't go for health reasons. Most unemployed won't be able to.Then there is the lack of employment protection that will mean many will see themselves working longer hours for less money and paying more tax.At present things have not started to hit home with many .But one thing for sure Boris will not care about the little guy.Employment potential and protection will be even worse than it is now.I have faith in the lord that we can get through this but not as we are now.

Rumours that Brizzle Rovers are his next port of call along with the other 5 they’ve already signed.

Dominic has had a fair bit of game time with Rovers (the Blackburn one) since they resumed playing, has been OK but not outstanding. Decent player but I think we can do better.

I can see clubs having open days/evenings instead of going through academies in future.It is unlikely a club like ours will be able to find the money to finance it even though I think they only pay half the cost.

Premiership Clubs can afford the luxury of spending zillions on young boys of around 10 yrs of age on a "they might, or might not make it" basis. But some owners in the lower divisions may not be able to exclude academies and schoolboy recruitment from their cost-cutting.