League match 22 years ago tonight | Vital Football

League match 22 years ago tonight

Co-op Stand Imp

Vital Reserves Team
Lincoln City 2 Manchester City 1. Never liked Dickov after he put Jason Barnett out of the game for several weeks. Think City (the blue one) went on to lose at York the following Saturday before turning their season round.

7,338 there that night which would have been seen as an excellent turn out.

How times change, eh?

We went on a really dire run but then had a good go at giving ourselves a chance in the Spring before running out of gas at the end. I seem to recall Easter being pivotal. IIRC we lost at Stoke on the Saturday and failed to beat York at home on the Monday.

I'd booked the weekend in Stoke and ended up staying over an extra 2 days because whilst there The Hilton bizarrely offered us a family room with breakfast and full evening meal ('Yes Sir that does include anything you want from the menu') for £9 per night - for all of us, not each.

I've no idea what the marketing ploy was behind that but it wasn't getting turned down, Just needed the football results to have been different for the perfect weekend.

We went on a really dire run but then had a good go at giving ourselves a chance in the Spring before running out of gas at the end. I seem to recall Easter being pivotal. IIRC we lost at Stoke on the Saturday and failed to beat York at home on the Monday.

I'd booked the weekend in Stoke and ended up staying over an extra 2 days because whilst there The Hilton bizarrely offered us a family room with breakfast and full evening meal ('Yes Sir that does include anything you want from the menu') for £9 per night - for all of us, not each.

I've no idea what the marketing ploy was behind that but it wasn't getting turned down, Just needed the football results to have been different for the perfect weekend.

When all the results were in it was getting doubled by Wycombe and Oldham that did for us. Both finished just above the relegation zone.

When all the results were in it was getting doubled by Wycombe and Oldham that did for us. Both finished just above the relegation zone.

I'm pretty sure the last game was home to Wycombe. We'd just missed out on any chance of being safe during the week and we were singing 'You're going down with the Lincoln' to the Wycombe fans when they hit a lateish winner to cling on by their fingernails.

Yep that was my recollection. Despite being garbage for most of the year, had we beaten (or not lost) to the teams around us we’d have stayed up.

I always felt is was the York home defeat, played on a Sunday (to avoid clash with England v Poland on the Saturday - Keegan’s first game as England manager), that sunk us. We had been winning our home games for a while until then. York player scored a wonder goal, from 35 yards out at the South Park End. Think we had 3 new signings, including David Phillips and Chris Wilder in the team that day, but lost 2-1.

Lost both games to York that season, lost at home to Notts around that time too.
Barnett was out for months, Dickov got a hat trick at their place.

I felt there were a lot of good performances that season in a very strong league.I always felt Shane Westley was unlucky to be sacked and should IMO, been given until the end of the season at least.

Always thought it was the away fans being stuffed in the Stacey West end that tipped many home games in the away team favour.

Always thought it was the away fans being stuffed in the Stacey West end that tipped many home games in the away team favour.

I agree - it felt at the time like we shot ourselves in the foot. I remember a home game against Gills before Christmas as a prime example of the away fans almost sucking the ball into the net.

I agree - it felt at the time like we shot ourselves in the foot. I remember a home game against Gills before Christmas as a prime example of the away fans almost sucking the ball into the net.
From my recollection with a great deal of help from the referee, a certain Mr Stretton, which was one of the most biased refereeing performances I’ve seen in 52 years

Yes remember that game particularly.

Wonder if they would have been in favour of project big picture then?

City aren’t in favour of Project Big Picture now, let alone then .... there’s no way they’d align themselves with those 1915 match-fixing, history when it suits victim twats.