League 2 playoffs | Page 3 | Vital Football

League 2 playoffs

No arguing with a score like that, well done Northampton. I suppose it's cheaper for the club to travel there and it's central so more exiles can make it.

So Exeter have lost their third play off final in four seasons. Their fans must be sick of the bloody play offs.

I hope they can get automatic promotion next season. Their fans are a decent bunch and they deserve to taste some success.

So Exeter have lost their third play off final in four seasons. Their fans must be sick of the bloody play offs.

I hope they can get automatic promotion next season. Their fans are a decent bunch and they deserve to taste some success.
How much does a Grecian (fan) earn?

They would have been promoted had the season been called off two games earlier. They would have replaced Plymouth.
Very unlucky.

Saw a Pompey fan comment on a forum about his team for the play-offs. He stated Portsmouth had never won a play-off game ever.

Is that correct does anyone know? Have they lost heaps of play-offs or just not been in many?

Nobody knows why they are called The Grecians.
Very weird theories but nothing solid.

My favourite is the

"In 1726, during a fair in Southernhay, the war of Troy for some weird reason was reenacted. The residents of the inner wall played as the Trojans while residents who lived in the outer most parts of the walls were the Greeks. The Greeks were the residents of Sidwell. Moreover the Greek Orthodox community had a huge population.

After a couple of these reenactments, the people of Sidwell started referring themselves as the Grecians. Therefore when a football ground was opened at the end of the city wall it was given the name "Grecian Gate." The players who started playing at that ground were known as " The Grecians."

The Grecians were formed officially in 1901 but they were formerly known as Sidwell United. The Grecians attracted players from different clubs such as the old boys of St Sidwell's School.

When they merged the club went on to win the Exeter & District Junior League. Then again in 1903 St Sidwell joined the new East Devon Senior League and even changed grounds to St James which was closer to the Sidwell wall.

The club changed its name officially on May 31, 1904, during the club's annual meeting. The club decided to change the name to Exeter City Association Football Club. The name the Grecians did not change and until today it is still being used."

My favourite is the

"In 1726, during a fair in Southernhay, the war of Troy for some weird reason was reenacted. The residents of the inner wall played as the Trojans while residents who lived in the outer most parts of the walls were the Greeks. The Greeks were the residents of Sidwell. Moreover the Greek Orthodox community had a huge population.

After a couple of these reenactments, the people of Sidwell started referring themselves as the Grecians. Therefore when a football ground was opened at the end of the city wall it was given the name "Grecian Gate." The players who started playing at that ground were known as " The Grecians."

The Grecians were formed officially in 1901 but they were formerly known as Sidwell United. The Grecians attracted players from different clubs such as the old boys of St Sidwell's School.

When they merged the club went on to win the Exeter & District Junior League. Then again in 1903 St Sidwell joined the new East Devon Senior League and even changed grounds to St James which was closer to the Sidwell wall.

The club changed its name officially on May 31, 1904, during the club's annual meeting. The club decided to change the name to Exeter City Association Football Club. The name the Grecians did not change and until today it is still being used."

true or not its a great story :clap:

Saw a Pompey fan comment on a forum about his team for the play-offs. He stated Portsmouth had never won a play-off game ever.

Is that correct does anyone know? Have they lost heaps of play-offs or just not been in many?
Think it is Keefy PNE been in play offs for all 3 leagues and never progressed think its about 9 for now.

Sorry to remind you but what about the Swine in '87?

From 1988/ the play offs adopted the away goals rule so that the following results:

Gillingham 1 v 0 Swindon
Swindon 2 v 1 Gillingham

would have seen Gillingham promoted on away goals. After we were cheated out of promotion did the football authorities change it so that away goals counted.

From 1988/ the play offs adopted the away goals rule so that the following results:

Gillingham 1 v 0 Swindon
Swindon 2 v 1 Gillingham

would have seen Gillingham promoted on away goals. After we were cheated out of promotion did the football authorities change it so that away goals counted.
I never understood why away goals counted for the semi but not the final (IIRC)

I never understood why away goals counted for the semi but not the final (IIRC)

I never understood it either and am still a little bitter about it.

Definitely did count in the semi final:

Gills 3 Sunderland 2
Sunderland 4 Gills 3 (aet), so 6-6 on aggregate and we win on away goals.

But same rule not applied in the final! Why not?!

I never understood it either and am still a little bitter about it.

Definitely did count in the semi final:

Gills 3 Sunderland 2
Sunderland 4 Gills 3 (aet), so 6-6 on aggregate and we win on away goals.

But same rule not applied in the final! Why not?!
Did the final go to a replay then or was it two legs? Before my time

Did the final go to a replay then or was it two legs? Before my time

Final was two legs. We won the first at Priestfield 1-0 with a late David Smith free kick goal. Then in the second leg we went 1-0 (2-0) up with a proper Karl Elsey Rocket into the top corner. Then they laid siege on our penalty area and got it back to 1-1 on the night. We held out until eleven minutes from the end but then they scored their own spectacular goal. So 2-1 to them but 2-2 on aggregate and we had the away goal and should have been promoted.

But no, apparently not! Replay at Selhurst Park. We didn't turn up. Shearer missed a sitter and we ended up losing 2-0.

That's how I remember it anyway!

Last edited: