League 2 playoffs | Page 4 | Vital Football

League 2 playoffs

2 legged playoff finals with replays! And people moan today that there are too many games!
A shame we couldn't have a replay against Man City instead of it going to Extra Time and Penalties!

2 legged playoff finals with replays! And people moan today that there are too many games!
A shame we couldn't have a replay against Man City instead of it going to Extra Time and Penalties!
I thought that at first but then, on reflection, I reckon we had our chance. I couldn't see us playing that well again sadly. Could have been wrong but everything seemed to click that day (well, until the 96th minute anyway😡)

From 1988/ the play offs adopted the away goals rule so that the following results:

Gillingham 1 v 0 Swindon
Swindon 2 v 1 Gillingham

would have seen Gillingham promoted on away goals. After we were cheated out of promotion did the football authorities change it so that away goals counted.

Also B_R, don’t forget that Swindon side was subsequently shown to be assembled outside the financial rules.

It was a few years later they were investigated and then relegated 2 divs. But the irregularities almost certainly started around that time or a year previously. They somehow acquired some very high quality players as they went from 4th to 1st in a few seasons iirc.