League 1 - Who's going down | Vital Football

League 1 - Who's going down

Broncos77

Vital Youth Team
I thought we need some light relief from discussing Gills mid-table mediocrity
So, who of the 7 teams in the bid for survival will make it and who's leaving us for the delights of L2 ?
- this year we Gills can look down on these 7 with our sympathy and non-involvement

We've seen them all, and none look up to much, but with a third of the season to go all 7 have started picking up some points, and taking points from the better sides, so could be a close dog-fight. We have 4 of them to play yet and they will not be easy games.

My picks for survival are : Bristol Rovers (although they have the 'too good to go down' problem)
Rochdale - who somehow manage it year after year; and I like to see them try to play football despite little money or support
and the wild card Burton, with help from Josh Parker and Jimmy H - we may help them survive when we play them away on the last day of the season

That leaves Wigan, Swindon, Northampton and Wimbledon to go down - pity in a way the last 3 as they are relatively near and have a bit of 'history' between us and them, but perhaps we can then offload some of our 'surplus' players to them

We're going down with the Swindon, we're going down with the Swindon...
And Wigan!
And Rochdale!

Last edited:
I thought we need some light relief from discussing Gills mid-table mediocrity So, who of the 7 teams in the bid for survival will make it and who's leaving us for the delights of L2 ?
- this year we Gills can look down on these 7 with our sympathy and non-involvement

Ouch, whilst I (silently) agree, it`s a brave shout, Bronco.

A difficult call, Bronco, as there `s only 3 points separating the bottom seven clubs.

My guess is that Northampton, Swindon, Wimbledon & Rochdale will go down whilst Peterborough, Sunderland and Lincoln will go up.

Unusually, no one is cut adrift so it’s genuinely between all of that batch.
I really think it’s a bit early to call but I would point out that ex Gills legend Brandon Hanlan has his own four page thread on the Brizzle Rovers forum, questioning as to whether he has got enough goals in him to keep them up.
The consensus is yes.
One guy reckons he’ll finish with 15.

Unusually, no one is cut adrift so it’s genuinely between all of that batch.
I really think it’s a bit early to call but I would point out that ex Gills legend Brandon Hanlan has his own four page thread on the Brizzle Rovers forum, questioning as to whether he has got enough goals in him to keep them up.
The consensus is yes.
One guy reckons he’ll finish with 15.

Can Brandon function under pressure ? He`s had pressure on him all season but is now going to have to deal with the significant extra weight of Barton crawling all over him. Hanlon might surprise some and relish the extra challenge, on the other hand, he might be lucky to get six more games under JB. Barton will want to bring his own choices to the club asap. Think one of the first he`ll be on the `phone to will be Sam Finley - warrior.

I believe that he can only sign free agents until the season ends.
Could be wrong.
Maybe emergency loans ?
Rovers have a huge squad. 30 plus

Could be wrong.
Maybe emergency loans ?

I`m not sure, TBH. Finley`s contracted at Fleetwood for a few more months, I believe, but when the opportunity is there, warriors like him will be tempting for JB. Provided Brizzle can stay up, they could be a completely different kettle of fish next season. (sorry to bring Brexit up btw ;) )

Could be wrong.
Maybe emergency loans ?
Rovers have a huge squad. 30 plus

Emergency loans for keepers only.

Otherwise, free agents only so Brandon should have time to impress Barton and help keep Brizzle up at the same time.

Not saying anything else on this thread until we have reached 51 points ourselves. We might go on another of those 6 game losing streaks. Then it would be squeaky bum time.

Surprised that Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is considered enough to save Burton I think they may well go down.Add Northampton and Wigan and we still have an outside chance of competing for the last spot. I think Wimbledon might clinch it.

Burton have a bit of form (5th in the form table) so might pull clear.

Bristol, Rochdale and Northampton are struggling in the form table. I will go with those three and Wigan

Plenty of time for form to change and I'd like to see us win a few just to pull clear

Rochdale
Northampton Town
Swindon Town
Wigan Athletic

Not 100% categorically sure we won't be dragged into it until 54 points are posted.

Really really hope Rovers go down and take that tow rag with them.

Not 100% categorically sure we won't be dragged into it until 54 points are posted.

Really really hope Rovers go down and take that tow rag with them.

That is no way to talk about Max Ehmer! 🙄

I've seen all of our games this season on iFollow other than the away win at Wigan,when I was away at a pub in better times! The worst 4 teams I've seen are| Wimbledon, Bristol Rovers, Burton and Plymouth. The funny thing is that we lost to three of those! We've beaten better teams (well they played better anyway) like Crewe, Swindon and Rochdale! Who knows what's going to happen?

Last edited:
I honestly think we are going to get involved in the quagmire that is relegation from league 1. Apart from the Sunderland and Crewe games, our football has been pretty damned inept and bloody cringeworthy to watch. I have a feeling we are going to get hammered this afternoon down at Pompey (no good for the goal difference) and fear that is going to confirm the slippery slide down into the nether regions of the league. Hopefully this is just a dream and I'll wake up to find us nicely nestled in the playoff places..... unfortunately that might just be one nightmare that comes true.