League 1 summer transfer thread 2021 | Page 3 | Vital Football

League 1 summer transfer thread 2021

Yep FFP has been repealed, so clubs can once again play loose with the so called safeguards should they be that way inclined.

When they do eventually come a cropper they know can then do a Bolton and dictate to the EFL how it will be brushed aside with a slap on the wrist.

In the meantime wages will be artificially increased for everybody else and the other clubs will have to decide whether they wish to gamble with their security to compete or be disadvantaged on the pitch for following the path of sustainability.
No, no... what you are forgetting is the PFA are about to sort this all out.

They were only against the salary cap because they didn't have the correct notice of examine those proposals.

I distinctly remember they were in favour of improved financial regulation and were going away to devise a much better solution than the salary cap.

I expect they will be coming forward with their improved proposals any day now.

Interesting times at Portsmouth with some players taking the option to move on rather than accept new deals being offered. Their captain Tom Naylor has moved on to Wigan. The Cowleys will be busy in coming weeks.

Interesting times at Portsmouth with some players taking the option to move on rather than accept new deals being offered. Their captain Tom Naylor has moved on to Wigan. The Cowleys will be busy in coming weeks.
The Cowleys are in the process of achieving exactly what they want to achieve: a squad they actually want.

One of their best players I thought. Wigan are shaping up quite well. Different proposition this season. All things taken into consideration, I think it's going to be harder to make the top 6 this season.

One of their best players I thought. Wigan are shaping up quite well. Different proposition this season. All things taken into consideration, I think it's going to be harder to make the top 6 this season.
Why though? The more better teams there are the more the points are shared around. I dont get that it’s harder to finish at the top if there are more good teams, there are still the same amount of points at stake.

I can't remember, is this 60% of the Covid affected financial year, 60% of the year before, 60% of this coming year, or is it done on a rolling average over 3 years?
Good question. There are different rules for the Championship to L1 and L2 as I understand it. I believe The C. is over three years which is why it was critical to clubs like Wolves and Brighton that they went up when they did or they would have been called in by the EFL.

I believe the L1/L2 is more of an annual thing based on the previous year income/turnover but you can also use additional investment, sponsorship, transfer, prize/cup receipts etc. to supplement that.

In theory it shouldn't be a problem as you should still only be paying the money you genuinely have but there are so many loop holes that some clubs seem to abuse to spend money they don't have. The idea of the salary cap was to reduce the loop holes and level the playing field so that wage inflation didn't run away.

That is my very basic understanding, I stand to be corrected.

I meant the salary cap, they've gone back to that 60% thingy.
The 60% FFP stipulation doesn't work because it excludes investment in equity and a host of other financial sources. Another factor that may come into play is the degree of debt some clubs in League One are carrying - will they be able to commit to an expensive squad again this season? Several clubs including Portsmouth have (publicly) announced budget cuts for this coming season. I am in the process of compiling financial information on each club for the Season Preview and some of it makes scary reading.

No, no... what you are forgetting is the PFA are about to sort this all out.

They were only against the salary cap because they didn't have the correct notice of examine those proposals.

I distinctly remember they were in favour of improved financial regulation and were going away to devise a much better solution than the salary cap.

I expect they will be coming forward with their improved proposals any day now.
Taylor is probably too busy polishing his newly awarded PFA Merit Award.

The 60% FFP stipulation doesn't work because it excludes investment in equity and a host of other financial sources. Another factor that may come into play is the degree of debt some clubs in League One are carrying - will they be able to commit to an expensive squad again this season? Several clubs including Portsmouth have (publicly) announced budget cuts for this coming season. I am in the process of compiling financial information on each club for the Season Preview and some of it makes scary reading.

Yet they seem to be close to signing Jayden Stockley for circa £500k and I'm sure his wages won't be cheap. Baffling.

Why though? The more better teams there are the more the points are shared around. I dont get that it’s harder to finish at the top if there are more good teams, there are still the same amount of points at stake.

But if the average standard of the clubs (if there is such a thing) being higher means it is harder to win your share of the points.

Taking Sunderland, Ipswich, Wednesday, Pompey, Charlton not sure about Bolton. They in theory are the bigger spenders. Although I await Scotimp's report on just how dodgy some of their finances are. So I agree things may not be harder this season in terms of the 'bigger spending' clubs.
I think the rest of the field is likely to be stronger than last season.
Rotherham
Doncaster
Oxford
Gillingham (despite smallest budget!)
Accrington
All likely to mount a challenge

Crewe, MK, Fleetwood, Wigan all consolidating

Burton, Shrewsbury, Plymouth and Wimbledon have continuity.

Promoted clubs bit of an unknown but all probably stronger than Northampton and Swindon were. Morecambe, being Morecambe will stay up.

There are no basket cases.

Just a personal opinion. With bit of luck with a team as strong as last season, we will be OK.

So called big names doesn't mean good teams. Most got demoted because they were crap and some will still be crap next season. At the start of last season I looked at the early fixtures and wondered where the first point would come from, turned out because LCFC were / are a well run Club from top to bottom needn't have worried !
UTI.

But if the average standard of the clubs (if there is such a thing) being higher means it is harder to win your share of the points.

Taking Sunderland, Ipswich, Wednesday, Pompey, Charlton not sure about Bolton. They in theory are the bigger spenders. Although I await Scotimp's report on just how dodgy some of their finances are. So I agree things may not be harder this season in terms of the 'bigger spending' clubs.
I think the rest of the field is likely to be stronger than last season.
Rotherham
Doncaster
Oxford
Gillingham (despite smallest budget!)
Accrington
All likely to mount a challenge

Crewe, MK, Fleetwood, Wigan all consolidating

Burton, Shrewsbury, Plymouth and Wimbledon have continuity.

Promoted clubs bit of an unknown but all probably stronger than Northampton and Swindon were. Morecambe, being Morecambe will stay up.

Just a personal opinion. With bit of luck with a team as strong as last season, we will be OK.
wednesday??