League 1 Next Season | Page 5 | Vital Football

League 1 Next Season

Its a pity Bradford are all bar goners and Rochdale and Scunny and Rochdale are vying to join them. Barnsley and Donny could yet go up, that set of fixtures with Rotherham coming down from Championship would be awesome in my opinion.

Ooh forgot about Donny !!
Yes that would be a new one to see us at, and 100% a mega local derby!

Its a pity Bradford are all bar goners and Rochdale and Scunny and Rochdale are vying to join them. Barnsley and Donny could yet go up, that set of fixtures with Rotherham coming down from Championship would be awesome in my opinion.

And yes pity we will be passing Bradford going the other way.
And of course, very sadly our two clubs will forever be linked.

And back to any possible Stacey West redevelopment, I would insist the name remains no matter what to always honour our two departed supporters.
And I would actually like to see added somewhere more of a memorial for them and the Bradford fans lost that fateful day.

Which is why I said "match-day hospitality will need a temporary rethink", or would they go for a short term hit on finances knowing the completed redevelopment could easily make up for it long term.
Also, don't forget my idea for using the Astro Turf area to make up for losing the other facilities.

Ok whats your re-think then? The legends lounge is sold every game and making money (profit) like the exec boxes.

Hmm, very good points.
Realistically then, and to minimise capacity loss, a Stacey West rebuild is probably the best first step. No offices in it. No facilities. No hospitality or commercial income. Space already behind it..

As contructional professional I agree this would be the least disruptive. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to cantilever an additional tier with say a capacity 2k over the existing SW structure. The downside is cantilevering is not cheap and you might as well swear at a structural engineer as mention cantilevering.

The key would be would it be possible to keep the existing SW open during the works? The piles could be certainly driven during the season without affecting it? The steels could be timed to be lifted during the close season, but could the rest of the works be carried out whilst keeping in the existing stand operation, possibly as the access and egress as either end. But, it would need a shit hot CDMC/Principal Designer to sign off the CDM contrstuction phase plan.

Last edited:
Stacey West second tier.
Not unlike what Ipswich did at both ends of Portman Road (and on a bigger scale at Old Trafford) without disrupting existing seats.

We lose car parking, but have playzone and the 3G needs expensive replacement or ripping up...

Also look at the 'temporary' stand Blackpool came up with in the summer before they joined the Prem in 2010. Over 5,000 seats - and still there today. Surely scope for 1,500 seats next to the Selenity?

The name was eventually revealed as the Stadium of Light. Speaking at the naming event, Bob Murray explained the inspiration for the name came from the Coal mining heritage of the region...
"For many years, miners at Wearmouth Colliery carried with them a Davy lamp as part of their working lives. Reflecting this tradition, the name allows the image of this light to shine forever."

I get the impression from that they chose the name first then did their best to come up with a reason for it.

They took the decision last year not to increase capacity, apparently because we didn’t win the play offs. Not increasing it after this season makes you wonder what it would take to make the decision to increase.

Currently, interest in the club is highest for god knows how long, but people being able to get in and pay to watch is about to level off.

It is a total false economy, because people that start buying-in now are a potential income stream for years and years to come.

Conversion of parts of the ground to standing(sector of coop plus Stacey West to standing room only) would be a good move and minimal cost to upstream the revenues and capacity.
Furthermore the space between the Selenity and Stacey West is totally under utilised plus add in the repositioning of the tv gantries and all these changes would give additional revenue/capacity.
I`m sure we could also knock up a few extra khazis and handbasins over the summer period to cope with the extra numbers attending.

Crowd numbers have moved ahead rapidly and the infrastructure is not keeping apace with demand.(2500 to 10,000)..up 300%
Quite simply a minor low cost solution could accommodate a further 2000 fans which would be a good economic move for the club and enable our current fan base to be retained plus cope with the increased numbers of away fans attending the Bank next season in league 1 :(Portsmouth/Bolton/Doncaster/Scunthorpe/Peterborough/Ipswich/Charlton/
Coventry etc.........Millwall..?

Doing little to increase the capacity creates a few issues
Allocating 10% of tickets(efl requirement) to the away fans prohibits casual home fans access to attend a match when you are operating at the margin of capacity.
Next season it is possible some visiting sides could take more than 2000 tickets if we could make them available but,we won`t deliver that in the current set up and the revenue is gone forever plus plenty of home fans other than season tickets holders will get slowly disillusioned over lack of access to games through ticket restraints.(they are the long term future)
If we could only come up with an increased capacity of 2000 for next season that would be a realistic approach to coping with the current demand of our own fans(granting higher number of season tickets+good revenue)) plus those of extra visiting supporters.
I`m not sold on the idea of doing very little on the capacity issue,as it`s upstream revenues we need and the options are limited, playing/staff costs are rising and the new ground pipe dreams are a long way off.
I`m sure Clive Nates has a rabbit he will pull out of the hat,he is a top banana and will employ the the right heads for the solution to the capacity problem.

PS:....... yes i have got my season ticket for 2019/2020.

Last edited:
Ok whats your re-think then? The legends lounge is sold every game and making money (profit) like the exec boxes.
OK, I'll give it a go!
I've already mentioned that Phase one of my proposed redevelopment would be on the Astro Turf area, this can be where temporary corporate facilities can be built. Make it a two storey build (reusable after all developments have been completed), it is possible that a decent placement will have a great view of the Cathedral; this can be connected to the Selenity Stand with a Covered Bridge, with a longer term view that the bridge will be required to connect to a redeveloped Selenity Stand.
This would mean there will be some displacement of fans in the Selenity Stand.

Looking at L1, I think we've played nearly all outside the Top 5 in L2 at some point in recent years!

I think there is a lot of talk about doing stuff here with minimal disruption rather than taking the short term hit, reducing capacity and building something properly.

Would it not end up costing us much more trying "not to disrupt things." overall just for the sake of a season with one side out of action?

Would it not make much more sense just to hold hands up and say "we need to do this, sorry guys, any volunteers to forego a season with the promise you will get a reward/discount/choice of seat the season after?"