League 1 Next Season | Page 6 | Vital Football

League 1 Next Season

Conversion of parts of the ground to standing(sector of coop plus Stacey West to standing room only) would be a good move and minimal cost to upstream the revenues and capacity.
Furthermore the space between the Selenity and Stacey West is totally under utilised plus add in the repositioning of the tv gantries and all these changes would give additional revenue/capacity.
I`m sure we could also knock up a few extra khazis and handbasins over the summer period to cope with the extra numbers attending.

Crowd numbers have moved ahead rapidly and the infrastructure is not keeping apace with demand.(2500 to 10,000)..up 300%
Quite simply a minor low cost solution could accommodate a further 2000 fans which would be a good economic move for the club and enable our current fan base to be retained plus cope with the increased numbers of away fans attending the Bank next season in league 1 :(Portsmouth/Bolton/Doncaster/Scunthorpe/Peterborough/Ipswich/Charlton/
Coventry etc.........Millwall..?

Doing little to increase the capacity creates a few issues
Allocating 10% of tickets(efl requirement) to the away fans prohibits casual home fans access to attend a match when you are operating at the margin of capacity.
Next season it is possible some visiting sides could take more than 2000 tickets if we could make them available but,we won`t deliver that in the current set up and the revenue is gone forever plus plenty of home fans other than season tickets holders will get slowly disillusioned over lack of access to games through ticket restraints.(they are the long term future)
If we could only come up with an increased capacity of 2000 for next season that would be a realistic approach to coping with the current demand of our own fans(granting higher number of season tickets+good revenue)) plus those of extra visiting supporters.
I`m not sold on the idea of doing very little on the capacity issue,as it`s upstream revenues we need and the options are limited, playing/staff costs are rising and the new ground pipe dreams are a long way off.
I`m sure Clive Nates has a rabbit he will pull out of the hat,he is a top banana and will employ the the right heads for the solution to the capacity problem.

PS:....... yes i have got my season ticket for 2019/2020.

You make some interesting and valid points Devon. Although doing things piecemeal to accommodate more home fans in the short term will potentially cost more long term. Bearing in mind capital costs all Sincil Bank needs is a stand similar to the Co-Op in capacity. Easy said than done, where will the money come from (grants) and can the build start towards the end of one season in time for the new season, doubt it. In addition, the Cowley factor needs to be considered, how long will they be around ? Once they leave believe me there will be no capacity issues.

Finally, I am also of the opinion that with potential further economic down turn a new ground is pie in the sky.

If you make BM standing it needs to be 10% of the new expanded capacity (so perhaps 1,500?), otherwise you've shot yourself in the foot and the non-season ticket holders, ie the emerging Imps fans, get stuck there.

Me too. Close-ish away game.

Ah! One has not lived unless you have got pissed wet through on the open terrace Springfield Park. A rite of passage, if you will.

A 2/3rds empty JBB on a wet Tuesday night is only marginally more attractive, only the short trip commends it.

Last edited:
Ah! One has not lived unless you have got pissed wet through on the open terrace Springfield Park. A rite of passage, if you will.

A 2/3rds empty JBB on a wet Tuesday night is only marginally more attractive, only the short trip commends it.
No worries. I've served my apprenticeship getting wet through on the terraces, on a Sunday afternoon following the oval ball.

Nobody to stop you being attacked inside the ground either in those days. I managed to escape without losing any teeth regularly. Although my team were so poor we were decades before being good enough to visit somewhere like Central Park (the rugby team's former home). 2/3rds full? I wish.

If you make BM standing it needs to be 10% of the new expanded capacity (so perhaps 1,500?), otherwise you've shot yourself in the foot and the non-season ticket holders, ie the emerging Imps fans, get stuck there.

Agreed.

The SW was designed as a mix of standing and seating, the Linpave and the South Park stands were not. That sounds an expensive option for little or no return, converting those two.

No worries. I've served my apprenticeship getting wet through on the terraces, on a Sunday afternoon following the oval ball.

Nobody to stop you being attacked inside the ground either in those days. I managed to escape without losing any teeth regularly. Although my team were so poor we were decades before being good enough to visit somewhere like Central Park (the rugby team's former home). 2/3rds full? I wish.

Spot on.

Those that have moved recently to the M62 corridor, might have different views of Wigan and Bolton than @Riiiiik and yours truly who have paid our dues.

Haven't read the full thread but it tickles me when I see people saying such and such a club is too big to be relegated to a lower level. Not yet a done deal but Notts County, the oldest professional club in the football league, are certainly a clear contender for non-league. But if you really want an example of a massive club at a lower level, how about Man City, the biggest club in England at the moment, being relegated to the third tier as recently as 1997/98.

I once went to Macclesfield on a wet, mid-winter, Tuesday night and stood with about 15 other people on the open terrace watching ominous dark clouds mumbling in off the Peak District as the rain got harder and it was obvious that it was going to pour down for the whole game. Then I realised there was a section in the Stands available to Imps fans and asked a steward if I could pay the extra to sit in out of the rain. He told me, as we were both getting wetter and wetter, that they would have to see if it would fill up before they could let me in. It would probably have taken 3 more games for them to get enough away support to fill out both sections. I turned around, walked out of one turnstile 5 yards around the corner and paid to go in the stand. Paying twice to watch Macclesfield on a Tuesday night was taking the piss, but watching the remainder of the die-hards on the terraces get completely drenched, I didn't regret a penny of it. Refrains of singing in the rain soon lost their appeal as the cold penetrated the skin.

Last edited:
I once went to Macclesfield on a wet, mid-winter, Tuesday night and stood with about 15 other people on the open terrace watching ominous dark clouds mumbling in off the Peak District as the rain got harder and it was obvious that it was going to pour down for the whole game. Then I realised there was a section in the Stands available to Imps fans and asked a steward if I could pay the extra to sit in out of the rain. He told me, as we were both getting wetter and wetter, that they would have to see if it would fill up before they could let me in. It would probably have taken 3 more games for them to get enough away support to fill out both ends. I turned around, walked out of one turnstile 5 yards around the corner and paid to go in the stand. Paying twice to watch Macclesfield on Tuesday night was taking the piss, but watching the remainder of the die-hards on the terraces get completely drenched, I didn't regret a penny of it. Refrains of singing in the rain soon lost their appeal as the cold penetrated the skin.

Great story, mate!

Haven't read the full thread but it tickles me when I see people saying such and such a club is too big to be relegated to a lower level. Not yet a done deal but Notts County, the oldest professional club in the football league, are certainly a clear contender for non-league. But if you really want an example of a massive club at a lower level, how about Man City, the biggest club in England at the moment, being relegated to the third tier as recently as 1997/98.

It is only Gulf blood money that has put them where they are. They'd be another Leeds or Newcastle otherwise.

Some interesting stuff on what relegation from Championship to League 1 means financially for Ipswich:

- Club faces £9m loss in income (£6m of which TV revenue)
- Season ticket prices cut 12.5% for renewing supporters
- Renewing season ticket costs £333 in lower North & South Stands (cheaper than Lincoln)

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town-cut-season-ticket-prices-1-6001347

On the other hand, given how poor they've been this season, I'm guessing they had cut right back on playing budget already.
Plus they will be in receipt of big parachute payments that will give them a big advantage over most of the other teams. And if they make best use of that advantage and spend the season challenging in the top three, then they could easily see 20k+ crowds and money pouring in.

On the other hand, given how poor they've been this season, I'm guessing they had cut right back on playing budget already.
Plus they will be in receipt of big parachute payments that will give them a big advantage over most of the other teams. And if they make best use of that advantage and spend the season challenging in the top three, then they could easily see 20k+ crowds and money pouring in.
do you get parachute payments when relegated from the championship?

Ipswich average 16-17000 already in the Championship so you wouldn't think they'll substantially increase that. even if they're doing well, as there's a big drop off in away supporters, and by then it's too late for their budget anyway.

In 2017-18 their total matchday revenue was £4.7m on a turnover of £17.1m so it didn't play much of a part, but their wage bill is around £18.5m. And that's one of the lowest in the Championship.

It won't be a surprise to know that Ipswich have been showing consistent operating losses of around £7m a year for at least the last three seasons, and only around a third of that has been recovered by player sales.