Law 11 - Offside. | Vital Football

Law 11 - Offside.

MadAmster

Vital Squad Member
Probably the most misunderstood and contentious of all of the game's Laws.

You can't be offside at a corner, throw in or corner. That is understood. However, I have always taken it to mean that an opposition attacker closer to the goal of the goal kick taking side's goal than thier last defender is NOT offside. Simply because he is "behind the ball". I always thought it doesn't count for players of the goal kivk takinh side who are in the opposition's half.

Last Sunday I reffed for the first time in a year. Keeper took a goal kick and launched the ball well into the opposition's half. The assistant referee flagged for offside. I gave the free kick. The goal kick taking side all shouted, you can't be offside from a goal kick. The opposition actually agreed with them. So did all of the spectators.

The game had been full of needle and it was hard to keep control. I took a decision I never thought I would. To keep the peace I let the goal kick be retaken. Everybody was happy except me.

Who was right? Does the no offside by a goal kick only apply to opposition attackers or also to team mates of the take who are in the opposition's half?

Having researched this, it appears that my assistant was correct. When your team has a goal kick, you can go and stand in the opposition's 6 yard box and you are not offside. It does help, however, if the taker can kick it that far........

One lives and learns.

In which case why did your assistant flag for offside? And why do you conclude this was right - that seems the diametric opposite of your logic

My bad Rog, got muxed ip. I still have 'mares about the game. The defending team in this case were in my face from start to finish. Assistant flagged. I gave the free kick. We were both wrong....... the players were right.

Heineken ice cold actually Rog but ........ yes. The opposition were of a persuasion that doesn't permit alcohol....... they left immediately after showering.

IMO both Heineken and Amstel are OK as a tap beer but nomore than that. Remember Heineken in the Netherlands does not taste the same as in the UK......

What I have a problem with is either of them from a bottle or a can. I stopped drinking them from those recepticles after concluding that, after a mere 3 or 4 bottles/cans, I woke up the next morning with a storming headache. I don't have that with any other beer.

If you are looking for vile stuff in Dutch beer, I would like to point you towards Bavaria. Yes, that's right, the stuff brewed by DCFC's preferred lager partner....... the weird thing about it is that it is the worst tasting Dutch lager but their alcohol free job wipes the floor with the rest.

Latest Rams News