Laurel or Yanny? | Vital Football

Laurel or Yanny?

Stephen Jay Hawkings

Vital Football Legend
This has been spreading like wildfire, I was ignoring it until I got duped in to listening, and found it fascinating that it's split people almost 50/50.

The recording plays a word and people either hear "Yanny" or "Laurel". All I could hear was Yanny.

This video explains how it works, and when the pitch is changed I could hear Laurel. Can anyone else hear them both?

Did this last night. Freaky shit. Mind blown!!!

I heard Laurel, clear as day.

Called Nat in expecting her to here Laurel too.... she hears Yanny and thinks I'm now making it up that I hear Laurel.

So check with Sophie.... she hears Laurel.

Check with Amber... she hears Larry!!!!

Verdict.... Amber is a dickhead!

They did this on Radio 5 yesterday. I heard Laurel all day long and not heard anything else.

Is it older people that hear Laurel ?

It's to do with frequency. Not really dependant on age I don't think.

Some people can hear high frequency's and those people hear Yanny.

People who can't hear high frequency's (the small majority) hear Laurel.

Apparently the older you get the higher or lower (can't remember which ) the frequency you can hear goes though .

Nat is older than me and heard Yanny.

Me and the girls heard Laurel.

So maybe old people hear higher frequency's?

To be fair, that's correct, but is it the reason I hear yelly? Or are they unrelated?

That remind me. I need some jelly, to go with my Ice cream later. (Yes, I am 5, so I'm allowed it).

To be fair, that's correct, but is it the reason I hear yelly? Or are they unrelated?

That remind me. I need some jelly, to go with my Ice cream later. (Yes, I am 5, so I'm allowed it).
There is an element of prepping - if you can keep your mind blank it's more than plausible you hear far more than simply yanny/laurel.

It's the whole gold/blue dress thing.

I read it's something to do with how you hear high and low frequencies.

I have noticed since by neurological problems, I have more trouble turning the sound into a word. I watch films and don't know what they are saying, sometimes, and people have to repeat things to me quite often.

On a semi serious note, maybe this test could identify problems like mine earlier?

Frequency definitely, when it was played with in the video I could then hear both but I'd have never made the Laurel jump otherwise.

Certainly could be a way of identifying more quickly maybe, but that test is probably too simplistic for diagnosis?

lol JPA!