Latics vs Swansea City | Page 3 | Vital Football

Latics vs Swansea City

All in all a good point gained last night & had Grigg's touch been a little sharper then we could have nicked all 3 points ( against the overall run of play mind you). Swansea were a fast, free flowing passing team who had us chasing shadows at times. Some great saves from Walton kept us in the game & those last 10/15 mins I thought we seemed to get on top n Swansea backed off us. As others have mentioned I think Swansea will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season & if we can keep up our form with a few improvements in the clinical finishing department then we'll not be far behind them or even above them. Now just for 3 points against nobend n it'll be a good week.

I thought we were second best on Tuesday evening. Swansea should have won and would have had Walton not been at his best. Robinson and James made errors in defence but they are both very young to be playing regularly and the season will see them make great strides I’m sure. We looked lacking in pace, especially in midfield and I’m not sure Garner does enough to play regularly. That said, a point against the run of play is very handy and we are well placed in the table so it’s onto Preston and a very winnable match.

My own view is that of many others in that Swansea were the better side but not by a lot. For a nil nil it was a very entertaining game and Grigg should have won it for us. Anyone notice how the goals have dried up ? I think this is were we are very weak, at present we have 3 strikers and none of them are doing the business and I think its time to see what Windass can do as the out and out striker. I thought Cedric had his best game and I really didn't think we missed Sammy that much as Darren Gibson did well and looks a class player. I dont think theirs much chance of us being at the bottom end this year,

Dont think it' been mentioned but how bad were the officials for this one?

Nick Powell would get assaulted going for a header and it would be play on and then he'd give a nudge on one of theirs and the ref would give a free kick every time. Also the amount of throwings and corners that went the wrong way seemed unusually high.

The standard of officiating at this level has been really so far, with the vast majority of it going against us.

The frustrating thing is next season we’ll have to build all over again. We’ll lose Walton (massive blow that), James, Robinson and a damn good chance we’ll lose Powell and Morsy as well with the clowns at the top continuing to piss about. So basically we’ll have a build a whole new team all over again.

It’s a shame because there is so little in this division. A little more quality and luck with injuries, and we really would be in with a playoff shout.

You can add Walton to those two. I worry hugely about replacing him next summer. That will be our biggest signing of all, we all know how important a competent keeper is in this league...or rather how devastating an incompetent keeper is.

Teams rebuild every season, so I don't understand your concerns C. There is always the chance that, as in the case of Walton, we could take James on loan again next season and the same could happen with Robinson. Walton could also decide that he is not going to get regular first team action at Brighton and decide to throw his lot in with us and sign a permanent. Who knows what the future will bring.

Powell has been touted to leave for the last two windows and has chosen to stay, and perhaps he is happy with that. Samy could move on, as you say, but I have not heard of any interest in him to date, however if we maintain the form shown so far this season he could also decide to stay and push for promotion next season.

Before we start worrying about next seasons side, why not just enjoy the rest of this season and let the scouts and the acquisitions team worry about the future.

Dont think it' been mentioned but how bad were the officials for this one?

Nick Powell would get assaulted going for a header and it would be play on and then he'd give a nudge on one of theirs and the ref would give a free kick every time. Also the amount of throwings and corners that went the wrong way seemed unusually high.

The standard of officiating at this level has been really so far, with the vast majority of it going against us.

My thoughts to KDZ....Powell was penalised a few times yet times when he was fouled it was play on. The liner on the East stand side was shocking...gave a corner when 1 of our defenders could have easily put it out or back up field but let it run out as it had come off a Swansea player yet liner signals for a corner....most games I've seen the officials are woeful.

My thoughts to KDZ....Powell was penalised a few times yet times when he was fouled it was play on. The liner on the East stand side was shocking...gave a corner when 1 of our defenders could have easily put it out or back up field but let it run out as it had come off a Swansea player yet liner signals for a corner....most games I've seen the officials are woeful.

The worst and most alarmingly obvious one was the shot late on from Windass (I think) that ballooned up in the air and over the crossbar off the defender for a corner, and the idiot gave a goal kick.

I certainly agree with that, most are absolutely dreadful. There is real dearth of officiating quality and competence in this country. Thankfully the one on Tuesday however didn't make any game changing howler, as most of them tend to do.