Latics vs Swansea City | Vital Football

Latics vs Swansea City

One a piece seems a realistic prediction.

From what I've seen of McBurnie he looks a very decent striker for this level and will give our credit the halves a tough game.

Jesus that was a roundabout way of going forward. Half the crowd were asleep by the time they eventually got the ball in the box.

I know it's early days but I don't think we can afford to drop any points here.
We've had a good start but our poor away form could start putting pressure on our home performances.
The last thing we need is to start struggling at home and dropping down the table.

Swansea probably similar to Bristol in a lot of ways in the sense they have a good side who can punish you but are also beatable. They have a very young team and new manager and i get the impression they are still very much in a transition phase and finding their feet so i think we have a good chance of picking up points if we do our bit.

McBunnie as already mentioned is a big threat and Barrie McKay is a player who seems to have a knack for drifting into the box in good positions to nick a few goals from midfield. I believe Montero is injured which I'm pleased to hear as he has looked good at this level. Another one of theirs i like the look of is young Grimes who was at Northampton on loan last season and is their equivalent of Lee Evans.

Looking at their stats they have been quite tight at the back, not overly prolific so first goal could be desisive. We need to make sure we dont show them too much respect and attack, playing our game rather than get too worried about their threat and become less aggressive in our play like we did at Norwich. Hopefully we can get our full backs into the game today and after a poor display on Saturday they'll be fired up to put it right.

Could do with a result tonight to keep us ticking over as it's so easy to end up on a losing run if you have a bit of bad luck and a tricky run of fixtures.

Good to see Bobby’s passing legacy is still felt in South Wales a decade on! What a move - finished off by an ex-Latic no less, what dreams are made of!

Morsy out injured with a hamstring injury which is somewhat of a blow. Gibson in, but the rest remain unchanged.

Grigg doing nothing to dispel the opinion that he’ll never be a 20 goal striker in the Championship. Absolute howler of a miss costs us two points!

Grigg doing nothing to dispel the opinion that he’ll never be a 20 goal striker in the Championship. Absolute howler of a miss costs us two points!

Everyone misses chances - and it was a fantastic save. Only two players scored 20 goals in the Championship last season, and there well a hell of a lot of good strikers who didn’t so I don’t think he’ll be too disappointed by your criticism.

No need to over-analyse, a strong point against an excellent side buoyed by Premier League money that’s teeming with quality across the pitch. We’d have lost that pretty convincingly two seasons ago.

Not every game is going to be pretty and positive on our side - Cook has said as much and it’s going to be a hard slog, especially in the approaching winter period. I think it’s important to remember that we’re still out-performing our expectations, and if it hadn’t been for a comical penalty decision against Norwich we’d be pretty happy this week.

Missing some key players too - Garner’s not a productive lone striker, and I think it’s no coincidence that our best period of play by far came when Grigg entered the frame - miss or no miss.

Everyone misses chances - and it was a fantastic save. Only two players scored 20 goals in the Championship last season, and there well a hell of a lot of good strikers who didn’t so I don’t think he’ll be too disappointed by your criticism.

No need to over-analyse, a strong point against an excellent side buoyed by Premier League money that’s teeming with quality across the pitch. We’d have lost that pretty convincingly two seasons ago.

Not every game is going to be pretty and positive on our side - Cook has said as much and it’s going to be a hard slog, especially in the approaching winter period. I think it’s important to remember that we’re still outperforming our expectations, and if it hadn’t been for a comical penalty decision against Norwich we’d be pretty happy this week.

Missing some key players too - Garner’s not a productive lone striker, and I think it’s no coincidence that our best period of play by far came when Grigg entered the frame - miss or no miss.
Listen to yourself making excuses for them. Jay Fulton started for Swansea, remember him? That player that couldn’t get in our team in L1 and was widely critised on here. Yeah...teeming with Premier League quality indeed.

Maybe I’m being kind on Grigg. I should have said 15 goal striker. It was a howler, awful first touch which gave the keeper half a chance then didn’t place the ball properly with the entire goal to aim at. Probably worse than his open goal miss against Rotherham.

Well done Walton and the central defence though, bailed us out on a regular basis. Saves and last ditch tackles aplenty.

Listen to yourself making excuses for them. Jay Fulton started for Swansea, remember him? That player that couldn’t get in our team in L1 and was widely critised on here. Yeah...teeming with Premier League quality indeed.

Maybe I’m being kind on Grigg. I should have said 15 goal striker. It was a howler, awful first touch which gave the keeper half a chance then didn’t place the ball properly with the entire goal to aim at. Probably worse than his open goal miss against Rotherham.

Well done Walton and the central defence though, bailed us out on a regular basis. Saves and last ditch tackles aplenty.

I’m not making excuses - just being rational.

We’re five points off top spot, I’m not getting angry and pointing fingers at players yet.

Other than Garner (who isn’t a lone striker as long as he has a hole in his arse) & Robinson (who can’t defend for toffee) I enjoyed that game.
2 teams trying (though not always succeeding) to play some decent football - Swansea creates the better chances but found our keeper and n top form & Latics just lacked the final ball when in promising positions.

But it was a far better game to watch than the Hull & Bristol City ones

Good game today, a deserved draw really given the missed chances. Felt we had the better ones but it's the same old story for us, god knows how we missed a couple in the first half and 1 towards the end! And you should definitely have scored that one after an awful back pass.

We played some great stuff in the first half but you recovered well, got stuck into us more and prevented us from controlling things.

And the comment above - "buoyed by Premier League money" - you couldn't be further from the truth unfortunately. We've sold 15 or more players for £45m and brought in only a few and spent £6m, 2 of which started tonight. The rest are mostly youngsters, the likes of Fulton and Grimes who were on loan at lower league sides and a few others who stayed following relegation.

All the best for the rest of the season. Lets hope we're both still up there in May.

.....a far better game than Hull, Bristol City and Rotherham for me

Quite impressed with their pass and movement, perhaps they lacked a cutting edge (thankfully) but whilst Griggs first touch reduced his chance somewhat, it was a good save. No doubt however that whilst play was broadly even, our keeper was by far the busier.

Continue to be frustrated with Windass and really don’t understand why Mcmanaman wasn’t on 15/20 minutes sooner ??

Game of two halves. We were second best first half and have Walton to thank for not conceding. Much better second half and how we managed to miss two gilt edged chances is a mystery. A well earned point in the end against a well drilled side who know how to pass the ball. Just need to make sure we get three points on Saturday!

I agree totally about Macmanaman. He had only been on the pitch for a couple of minutes when he twisted and turned in the box and dropped the ball right on Will Grigg’s head. The game was crying out for someone to have a go at their left back and Callum should have been on from the start of the second half in my view.

Not many players score 20 and Will won't if he sits on the bench.
I trust he was left out again through injury and that's it because his replacement looks like a fish out of water but with the service he received tonight nothing much more could be expected. Windass out wide didn't work again. Best move all night was a piece of genius from Macca. Let's hope we can see more of him soon.

Good game today, a deserved draw really given the missed chances. Felt we had the better ones but it's the same old story for us, god knows how we missed a couple in the first half and 1 towards the end! And you should definitely have scored that one after an awful back pass.

We played some great stuff in the first half but you recovered well, got stuck into us more and prevented us from controlling things.

And the comment above - "buoyed by Premier League money" - you couldn't be further from the truth unfortunately. We've sold 15 or more players for £45m and brought in only a few and spent £6m, 2 of which started tonight. The rest are mostly youngsters, the likes of Fulton and Grimes who were on loan at lower league sides and a few others who stayed following relegation.

All the best for the rest of the season. Lets hope we're both still up there in May.

Good side Swansea but you need to mix your game a bit more than the twenty passes to get nowhere approach. Your tippy-tappy game almost dropped you in it with that back pass. One pass too many.
Overall though you moved and passed the ball well at pace and came for a win.

Not the worst goalless draw I've ever seen and a point a piece was probably a fair result.

That said I thought Swansea had the greater number of chances, though we squandered the best one, a shocking first touch from Grigg. Swansea passed the ball well, though they were living on a knife edge doing so at the back. I felt it inevitable they would concede chances doing so but unfortunately we couldn't capitalise. Brought back some shocking memories of us playing in such a kamikaze manner over the years. Sometimes pragmatism just needs to take over.

As for ourselves, again we weren't particularly fluid and look unbalanced on the right. Windass was again pretty ineffective out there. Gibson did okay though I think we missed Morsys bite in midfield. When he's back it'll be interesting to see who gets in between evans and Gibson. That said we never capitulated, the team fought hard and deserved the point. Turn over knob end on Saturday and it'll look a decent one.