Latics v Rotherham | Page 2 | Vital Football

Latics v Rotherham

Considering Rotherham played most of the first half with a six man defence and 3 directly in front of them, we did well to break them down. They played a bit less negatively in the second half but we did miss a few chances.

All I can say is I would hand my season ticket in if I supported Rotherham. What a load of purple shirt they play....wasting time from about 10 minutes onward.

Cracking performance from us though...We keep the ball like a top 6 side. Evans motm.

Looking good.

No wonder Rotherham had so few fans today, if that is the kind of negative stuff they play. They only came out to attack us when they went 1 down. They came for a draw and didn't get it but we were really hanging on for the last 15 minutes. Cedric MOTM for me. He was immense against Smith.

We played well first half but it was a scratchy second half performance in my opinion. Rotherham got what they deserved for a very negative performance but they could have stolen a point. Once Powell and Grigg went off we looked nervy. But it’s another win and I’ll take them whatever way they arrive.

No wonder Rotherham had so few fans today, if that is the kind of negative stuff they play. They only came out to attack us when they went 1 down. They came for a draw and didn't get it but we were really hanging on for the last 15 minutes. Cedric MOTM for me. He was immense against Smith.
They had so few fans because it was £25 and they had just had a cup match at Everton in midweek and that's why. 16 shots each but we produced 5 on target to their 4.

Good three points against a poor side who dragged us down to their level
What was Tommy Gore's take on it Oscarbon?

He like me thought that we started well but then when we failed to convert our chances, we went into training mode with defence versus attack.

I thought Powell going off knocked us sideways for about ten minutes but apart from that and maybe the last ten minutes we had them by the curlies.

We seem to be a different side when we score early. Either we relax or the opposition tend to be less defensive. For the attacking options we have we should get more goals from the percentage of play we have would be my only worry.

But then again I didn't go so what would I know.

We were crap second half. But sign of a good team to play that bad but still score and win. I don’t care if Vaughan toed one in from a yard out, him up front on his own does not work! Once again we resorted to lumping it long and lost the midfield as Rotherham’s defence pushed. Thankfully they were utterly awful in front of goal and we got away with it. Kipre and Walton proving any doubters wrong.

Ten points from the first six is a really good return from those fixtures. Our target from the next six should be to beat that total. Because apart from Brentford away, every single game is very much winnable on paper.

It certainly wasn't a negative approach from us but as expected Rotherham put 10 behind the ball and sat deep trying to nulify our pace. It is always going to be hard playing any side at any level so intent on stopping us playing but we need to get better at coping with teams who only want to be spoilers.

Connolly was on the right like he switched to at Villa and scored from. The idea was clearly having his height and aerial ability to attack crosses at the back post and to cause them problems at set pieces plus help us defend against theirs. But it didn't really work like we hoped as we just didn't get enough balls into the box / didn't get him in the box enough.

Before the goal that was as one sided a game you'll ever see to the point it was attack vs defence with us in total control but Rotherham riding their luck and us not making the most of our final balls.

After the goal the roles completely reversed as we lost our composure, stopped playing our game and allowed them to drag us into a battle that suited them more. It was attack vs defence in the opposite direction with us having to defend for our lives from a barrage of long throws and set pieces. The big issue is we just reverted to pumping long balls at Vaughan, it doesnt work and just means the ball comes back at us every time. Credit to Vaughan for getting the crucial goal but we can't expect him to be the out ball when we end up defending so deep he's just not a natural target man.

Thought Dunkley and Kipre (and James) were immense at dealing with amount of the high balls they were forced to deal with.

Delighted with a hard fought but well earned 3 points. Great start to the reason.

Not a particularly great game, nor performance, but the most important thing was 3 points. Last time around in this league we'd have lost that fixture.

Pattern of the game was exactly as I thought it would be, just a pity we couldn't get the early goal to change it. Rotherham in truth didn't look like a championship team. I thought we missed Jacobs and didn't really have anyone to break with the ball. Windass was okay, nothing more. Connolly didn't seem overly comfortable in that role and is again a damning indictment of the other Callum's fitness levels that he was overlooked.

We looked nervous after we took the lead with some poor individual errors contributing to that. I thought Dunkley, Cipre and James stood up to that pressure very well however, with James motm for me.

No howlers from the officials today which makes a welcome change. Fortnight off now for most players and 10 points prior to the first international break is a decent return.

I disagree formby i thought it was a laboured performance, and our passing after we scored and they came out a little more positive was dire kept giving the ball away. Saying that 3 points will go a long way in keeping us in this league.

Not a particularly great game, nor performance, but the most important thing was 3 points. Last time around in this league we'd have lost that fixture.

Pattern of the game was exactly as I thought it would be, just a pity we couldn't get the early goal to change it. Rotherham in truth didn't look like a championship team. I thought we missed Jacobs and didn't really have anyone to break with the ball. Windass was okay, nothing more. Connolly didn't seem overly comfortable in that role and is again a damning indictment of the other Callum's fitness levels that he was overlooked.

We looked nervous after we took the lead with some poor individual errors contributing to that. I thought Dunkley, Cipre and James stood up to that pressure very well however, with James motm for me.

No howlers from the officials today which makes a welcome change. Fortnight off now for most players and 10 points prior to the first international break is a decent return.
Wonder what it is with Macca? He should have been starting today with both wingers out. Summat not reet unless it's like you say it could be a fitness thing.

He's making the bench so he isn't injured, nor would you assume its attitudinal. I was against his re signing as his fitness levels have always been poor and it's something Cook (quite rightly) demands in his players so didn't think he'd fit in. Like a lot of the clappers I think Sharpe got all misty eyed and misjudged the current state of the player. Credited with an assist, but it's sad a young professional sportsman cannot attain a decent level of fitness, which is a pity as he would be an asset if he had any.

Have to mention one negative though unfortunately. The attendance! Our first sub 10k crowd in the Championship since Premier League relegation. Less than 9k Wigan fans in the ground (the lowest of the season so far). Now I fully understand and agree with the high prices for the big teams with big followings but I think today proved that folk are not going to pay £25 for games like Rotherham at home. Shame for the players but what can we do. It’ll be interesting to compare to the Tuesday games with prices at £20 whether we get more or less in. Lower admission prices but of course harder to get to games on a weekday plus the Champions League on tele.

Those that did go were great I thought. No negativity around me despite the frustration of the Rotherham parked bus. Everyone behind the team and we got rewarded in the end.

People back to listening on Wish it seem unfortunately. Personally I'd ban live radio commentary. I think the apathy also spread to Cook who put forward Richardson to do the post match presser for the first time this season.

He like me thought that we started well but then when we failed to convert our chances, we went into training mode with defence versus attack.

I thought Powell going off knocked us sideways for about ten minutes but apart from that and maybe the last ten minutes we had them by the curlies.

We seem to be a different side when we score early. Either we relax or the opposition tend to be less defensive. For the attacking options we have we should get more goals from the percentage of play we have would be my only worry.

But then again I didn't go so what would I know.
We are a different side against a team who wants to score, not put 9 men behind the ball and crowd us out