Latics v Rotherham | Page 4 | Vital Football

Latics v Rotherham

“I’m obviously biased, but I’m also honest and I thought we were the better side in the second half.
We were pushing for the goal, we had plenty of set-pieces, they had block after block and it just wouldn’t drop for us."
A slightly delusional Paul Warne in a post match interview.
Yes they were less defensive in the second half, but "better side" - really??

Read more at: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spo...r-midweek-exertions-says-paul-warne-1-9331174

Still "glass half full then " Notts. :-}

Perhaps their form might cause concern later, but at least I will give them the chance to show what they have got rather than write them off before the season starts and a ball has been kicked.

All I'm saying is that they've proved nothing - yet. Their respective injuries are a worry, though.

They were the better team in the second half. Pushed their defence up and took control of the midfield. Once we scored we resorted to lumping it to Vaughan and parking the bus when it kept coming back at us. A better team would have punished us, but their attack wasn’t Championship standard and we held out.

Makes even more impressive that we managed to win a half we were second best in.

All I'm saying is that they've proved nothing - yet. Their respective injuries are a worry, though.
Given we're only a few games into the season, of course you're right re neither of them "proving" anything yet. That said, they both had tremendous starts, and were both shining in some very decent team performances.

As for their respective injuries, given that they played most games right through last season, why would you presume their injuries to be a worry, or imply they may be a weakness? Would you say the same for Dan Burn?

Enjoy our good start to the season Notts. (By the way, Saturday wasn't a joy!).
?

Massey was shite for the majority of last season and posters got slagged off for pointing this out yet after 2 good games he's the best thing since sliced bread....bit early to say this because as soon as his brittle confidence evaporates and he starts to hide again and people point this out they will be slagged off again as negative posters.

So just so I know the rules of engagement you are allowed to be way OTT positive but not negative in any way ?

All a bit hypocritical if you ask me.

Btw...I hope the lad continues to shine and if that happens will say so but I also must be allowed to say it when he plays shit as well.

Hi Hindley, not sure if your post was directly in response to mine or not........ but I'll come back any road. ?

I'm chuffed they've both started well, and in no way do I think they've expunged all doubt re their longer term capabilities and potential. That said, they were both in a rich vein of form, and it was looking rosy.

My point to Notts was re him trying go suggest that their injuries are anything other than the usual knocks taken by all players at all levels.

Fully with you on the open and honest assessment of a player's performance..... whether good or bad. Just a shame that some folk have selective memory of certain points within games. He'd had a decent game again (with a new left side partner) but was widely criticised by folk on the way out just for his awful crooks field pass.

'Twas ever the same.

No pal it wasn't in response to anything you posted more the passive aggressive one from TB which was most unlike him to be honest.

Massey was shite for the majority of last season and posters got slagged off for pointing this out yet after 2 good games he's the best thing since sliced bread....bit early to say this because as soon as his brittle confidence evaporates and he starts to hide again and people point this out they will be slagged off again as negative posters.

So just so I know the rules of engagement you are allowed to be way OTT positive but not negative in any way ?

All a bit hypocritical if you ask me.

Btw...I hope the lad continues to shine and if that happens will say so but I also must be allowed to say it when he plays shit as well.

Your views are well respected by me on here Hindley and negative or positive they are still your views. The point is that as you say if the lad continues to shine you will say so, however my initial point was that some on here had written off Jacobs and Massey, amongst others, before the season had started and I merely pointed out that their
presence was missed in the last game and was being lamented by KDZ.

Notts has pointed out that it may not last, rightly so, however this still does not negate the point that their form to date has been up with the best in the team, yet, had PC held the same blinkered views that they were not "championship players" as some would have then they would not have had a chance to prove themselves. I am all for giving players a chance to show what they are about before writing them off. The last time we were in this division was under a different manager, playing a different style of football and against different opposition. I think the fact that PC is loyal to his players and has given the team from last season a chance to silence the doubters is great and I am sure his loyalty will be reciprocated by the players generating a positive team spirit. In my opinion it was a mistake by Caldwell to bring in so many new faces as it destroyed the good team spirit the squad had from winning the league and ultimately led to the poor results that cost him his job.

No pal it wasn't in response to anything you posted more the passive aggressive one from TB which was most unlike him to be honest.

Just read my post back Hindley and am amazed that you find it passive aggressive. It is merely a statement of the truth that certain posters were full of doom and gloom prior to the season starting and I am sure that given the start to the season Massey and Jacobs in particular have had then they are possibly a tad embarrassed at their comments.

Not meant to be aggressive in any way.

What it is TB ..Maybe I was a tad sensitive about your post seeing as I was one of the doubters regarding these 2. I still retain these doubts about Massey but concede he has started well...this is a bit early to wax lyrical though and be in no doubt I will be watching him like the proverbial shitehawk ready to pounce. Jacobs is also doing well and I will eat humble pie if both continue because if we win I couldn't give a flying feck who is responsible :cheers:

Not waxing lyrical about them mate, like you I have been surprised by Massey. He actually looks like a different player so far. I have no qualms about anyone doubting a players ability but actually writing anyone off without seeing what they are capable of in a new set of conditions is very short sighted in my own view. Its akin to saying I don't like John Smiths because I once had a shit pint in a crappy pub in the back end of beyond, whereas the one you are being offered is in a different pub with a different landlord and he is asking you to try it for free. Of course you'd be sceptical, but you'd give it a go, wouldn't you?
:guiness::cheers::love1:

Massey wasn't shite last season. He was asked to play a specific role by Cook.
That was playing the defensive foil while Byrne played a more attacking role. Byrne couldn't have played so well without Massey sacrificing his own game. It obviously worked well as Byrne was our player of the year.
This season with Massey having a new partner in Reece James and Reece being the defensive foil allowing Massey to push forward.
It'll be interesting to see what roles Byrne and Massey have if they're paired together this season.

But of course everyone sees things differently.

They were the better team in the second half. Pushed their defence up and took control of the midfield. Once we scored we resorted to lumping it to Vaughan and parking the bus when it kept coming back at us. A better team would have punished us, but their attack wasn’t Championship standard and we held out.

Makes even more impressive that we managed to win a half we were second best in.
I don't agree that they were the better team in the second half, they did improved by virtue of looking like they at least wanted to engage in a proper game, but no way were they the better side. Last 10 mins possibly, but it is always going to be the case at 1-0

Massey and Jacobs are both Championship players on their day but last season both had long spells of poor form and inevitably what makes you a good player overall isn't how good you are on your best day but how often you can play to that standard.

So i understood the doubts as if they were hit and miss in L1 a big step up would on paper suggest both would produce less hits and more misses against better opposition. But the flip side of that cirmustance is now we are the underdogs it has pushed us to up our game, most teams are not afraid of us anymore and are not putting 10 behind the ball, sitting deep and double marking our wingers meaning Jacobs and Massey can exploit their pace and dribbling ability in more one-on-ones and the counter and it suits them much better.

Football is a funny game and we've all seen enough to realise it never fails to suprise us. So I always thought while the doubts were reasonable it was never out of the question both could hit the ground running. But i think it's safe to say both have exceeded what anyone expected and while of course 3 good games a piece doesn't prove they are going to be established Champ players by the end of the season it certainly suggests they could do just that. Time will tell but so far both deserve a lot of praise and their doubters shouldn't begrudge credit where it's due.