Latics or England | Vital Football

Latics or England

Th10

Vital Squad Member
If it was OUR CLUB I think it would've hit me so much harder than tonight did. I was gutted for England but I've realised Latics means so much more. Can't wait for the new season!!!

Tonights game could be a reminder for us what we will have to do against half decent sides.
Start by strengthening the squad. So far we havnt.

Why not both? Fear took hold tonight, second goal would have killed the game. Hopefully they can learn and put this experience to use in future tournaments. 1/4 final was probably par beforehand it kicked off a few weeks back so it's a refreshing change to go one better for a change. Couldn't see either team beating France imo so it'll be a dull final. As for the 3rd place game, seriously what is the point?

Lack of attacking ideas took hold last night and players like Ali and Lingard just looked average and lightweight. We have a great goalscorer in Cain too who looked jaded but sadly he was playing too deep.
If we want to progress we just need to look at the way Croatia played, worked and outclassed us in that second half. A great example of attacking football with a massive work rate from much fitter and eager players.
How far have England come? On paper miles but in reality well not very far at all. A pizz easy group and two more easy ties. Remember we won three lost two and drew one. How beating Tunisia Panama and Swedan is a measure of progression, I dont really know. Drawing with Colombia and losing to Belgium and Croatia is a better measure. The football?? A reliance on set pieces with spurned oppurtunities when it matered leaving us still years behind.
Start asap on reducing overseas players or nothing will change.

This tournament reminded me how much I care about England. What a thrill it’s been. The sort of thrill getting beat in the Championship every week cannot replicate.

Latics every single day of the week for me, I feel a lot more passion when they play.

England / the world cup has been a welcome and entertaining distraction during the close season.

Start asap on reducing overseas players or nothing will change.[/QUOTE]

From 1966 till 1992 we had no overseas players we still didn't get very far

Ricky Villa, Ossie Ardiles, Jesper Olsen, Arnold Muhren, Bruce Grobbelar, Glen Hysen, Jan Molby, Kevin Moran, Ronnie Whelan, Frank Stapleton, Craig Johnston + more & not to mention all the Scottish, Welsh & Northern Irish players too ?

We got to the semi-final of the World Cup for Christ’s sake - just enjoy it for what it was.
When Latics reached the final of the FA Cup were any of us saying it meant nowt coz we beat 4 lower league sides & only 1 top flight side on our way there? Did we f**k
Yes it wasn’t perfect from England in this campaign - lack of chances & goals in open play, defence that looked sloppy at times, playing lower ranked sides etc.. but we got to the first WC semi-final since I’d just finished my 4th year at secondary school (I’m now 43, married & have 2 kids) so who cares.
In the cold light of day, I hope Southgate & his team will see where the failings lay & look to rectify them - personally I was impressed from the day the squad was announced & he’d clearly picked players who suited his system rather than the best 23 individuals & tried to shoehorn them in to a team which others have tried to do recently

Also, I think Kane was carrying an injury - first noticed it during the latter stages of the Colombia game & he became increasingly immobile as the games went on resulting in last when it looked like he was struggling to move at times

I used to be really keen on England but years of boring and poor England performances completely made me check out on international football years ago and I've never regained that interest. I watch the tournment games involving England and it would've been nice to win the World Cup but if I'm honest I was more passionate about Wigan in the JPT games than i was watching any of these last few World Cup games. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have as much passion for the England national team as i do for my club but i just don't anymore. If you gave me the choice of England winning the tournement or Wigan beating Sheff Wed first day of the season I'd not think twice about us getting a winning start next month. I'm probably in the minority with that one - but personally a world cup victory would be good but a Wigan win over Sheff Wed would get me buzzing.

I used to love all football so much and watch ever minute of every league i could when i was a teenager, but as i've gotten older I've not lost any passion for my team and I'm still super interested in the teams that are directly competing with us, but i've completely lost interest in any football that doesn't really have any impact on Wigan. So when it comes to club vs country it's club every time.

All hypothetical but given the choice of England winning the World Cup or us winning on the opening day of the season it would certainly have been the tournament success. In fact the two achievements are not comparable imo. That would have created an immense buzz akin to if not exceeding winning the fa cup.

I do agree that international football in general outside the tournaments doesn't generate much interest for me, in fact I find the breaks irritating as they interrupt the domestic game. However during a tournament it unites the whole country and brings supporters from all clubs together which is a positive thing.

All hypothetical but given the choice of England winning the World Cup or us winning on the opening day of the season it would certainly have been the tournament success. In fact the two achievements are not comparable imo. That would have created an immense buzz akin to if not exceeding winning the fa cup.

I do agree that international football in general outside the tournaments doesn't generate much interest for me, in fact I find the breaks irritating as they interrupt the domestic game. However during a tournament it unites the whole country and brings supporters from all clubs together which is a positive thing.

I know they aren't remotely comparable in terms of achievements, and to many Wigan winning the league vs the World Cup would be a more appropriate hypothetical. But that was exactly my point, I put a drastically greater value on what would be a minor success for Wigan than I put on a major success for England. I'm sure I'm a minority in that regard.

I’m interested in International football again.

I’d like to see us win the whole thing. But first we need to be competitive in every tournament, players need to be proud to play for the shirt, and fans need to reconnect with the national team. We’ve made a good first step and got over the psychological hurdle of winning knock-out games and penalty shoot-outs.

I love both so why have to choose....silly question. This tournament has been surrounded by feel good factors and has reconnected swathes of people who have previously had no interest ( like my wife ). While this tournament has been on I haven't given the latics a thought and why would I as Jack shit is happening. Really proud of the lads and while it's not coming home just yet the connection between so many people at home was beautiful. The national team is reborn on a massive scale.

I'd chose both there's room for Latics and the National team. I think a lot of people have reconnected with England and the feel good factor returned. It was great while it lasted.