Latest update on Josh Vickers | Vital Football

Latest update on Josh Vickers

Great news.

Cowley called him the best keeper in the league the other day. I must agree, I feel the most assured in a long time whenever he is between the sticks.

Great news, if it is right. I have every confidence that Grant will do a great job in the interim, but without wishing to sound unfair to Slocombe, we need Vickers fit for Everton. He was out for a month earlier this season with a worse injury, so hopefully that will be an achievable target.

Having said that, we have to get to the root of the problem. That is the fourth time Vickers has injured that same muscle, three of them since he came to Lincoln.

When he is fit again, maybe Danny's comments that Josh playing several games in a short time put too much strain on that muscle, will imply he should play only each Saturday perhaps and leave inbetween midweek games to the number two?
I would rather we had Josh for 70% of the time than not at all.

When he is fit again, maybe Danny's comments that Josh playing several games in a short time put too much strain on that muscle, will imply he should play only each Saturday perhaps and leave inbetween midweek games to the number two?
I would rather we had Josh for 70% of the time than not at all.
Although that probably puts a bit of undue pressure onto the goalkeeper who comes in to replace him. It can't be easy coming into a professional match when you haven't been playing regularly - that may be partly why Slocombe has struggled to impress.

Indeed but it's got to be that that's causing it and damaging the scar tissue.
But not sure how you can kick a ball 60 yards or so without putting some stress on the muscles in your leg. Nor how easy it would be to find a technique which would reduce the risk of injury. Even if you could, how long would it take to get Vickers to do this regularly when under pressure in a game. I think it took Nick Faldo a number of years to remodel his golf swing and he only had to stand still and perform the skill in his own time, not with an onrushing forward trying to put him off.

I would imagine the professionals who know what they are talking about, will be looking at how they strengthen and support those muscles to prevent injury, rather that finding a new way of kicking. But they may well know better...

Let’s hope it’s easier to solve than we think.

Good news, think he has improved some of the weaker points in his game. Maybe Danny will adjust his tactics to allow Vickers to not have to kick as long and as often. We do seem to play it out from the back a lot more, not sure that has been a deliberate change or more to protect Vickers?