Latest Accounts... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Latest Accounts...

Wonder how much of 'the price of football's' word/analysis we can trust given he is claiming that Scally is Dubai based still. He's not been 'Dubai based' for a number of years now.

‘Analysis’ is pretty generous of you. S/he’s just screenshotted the accounts and put some red circles around a couple of paragraphs. :-)

Which suggests a Trading loss of £ 139,000 (plus pitch depreciation)
Not quite as scary.
(Over how many years does one write off a pitch ??)

I’ve not had a proper look yet but it looks to me as though the new pitch expense was capitalised therefore has had very little bearing on the £500K loss.

Quarrington shown as club secretary so perhaps Gwens retirement was planned a while back.

Good to see scally take a more reasonable fee
Quarrington is Company Secretary.
It just means he he is an officer of the company, a little like being a company director (without any authority though).
It has nothing to do with the general admin side of things and would have no bearing on Gwen’s position.

Quarrington is Company Secretary.
It just means he he is an officer of the company, a little like being a company director (without any authority though).
It has nothing to do with the general admin side of things and would have no bearing on Gwen’s position.

Fair enough but I thought she was the club secretary?

Wonder how much of 'the price of football's' word/analysis we can trust given he is claiming that Scally is Dubai based still. He's not been 'Dubai based' for a number of years now.
Ha, I saw the Dubai comment and laughed too. In truth though I’m pretty sure you’ve seen or heard from Kieran Maguire during these times, you just hadn’t kept note of the name.

Let's put this in perspective Scally has taken a pay cut but it seems he is still on 14 thousand a month. Massive in terms of the town of Gillingham average wages.And also massive given current income of the club. Credit to him for doing it but there are still people who have loss far more percentage wise this last few months.

Let's put this in perspective Scally has taken a pay cut but it seems he is still on 14 thousand a month. Massive in terms of the town of Gillingham average wages.And also massive given current income of the club. Credit to him for doing it but there are still people who have loss far more percentage wise this last few months.

All very true Chris.

But I’d want 10x the amount he’s on to do that job. He gets a lot of abuse, criticism and scrutiny no matter what he does. Some is warranted, but some is well OTT.

...but it seems he is still on 14 thousand a month. Massive in terms of the town of Gillingham average wages.

What a daft thing to say! Are you suggesting that Scally should lower his consultancy fee to the average wage in Gillingham?

And also massive given current income of the club.

How is this true? I earn more than Scally takes in fees from a business that has lower revenue than GFC. My business is also a lot simpler than GFC - I have a staff of only one, minimal capital assets, next to nothing in debtors and creditors, more certainty and no public scrutiny. And I’m not atypical.

Credit to him for doing it but there are still people who have loss far more percentage wise this last few months.

Well - many people have lost their jobs in the pandemic (i.e. a reduction in income of 100%). I guess that is the same reduction you’d want to see Scally take.

Like all things football, a financial loss is concerning, but how does it relate to losses at other L1 clubs. We are famous (infamous to some) for running a very tight budget. I would guess we are fairly near the top of any league table based on the health of football clubs finances in our league.
More important this year than ever.

I'm not really one for accounting-type matters, so correct me if I'm wrong here, but if these are the figures for 2019, presumably the reduction we see here is nothing to do with the current situation. For the people suggesting Scally should be taking a bigger cut, presumably it's possible he could have already taken a further cut this year (although we'll have to wait another year to find out)?

You are giving credit to Scally for taking a wage cut, but that was back in 2018/19. Find it hard to believe he didn't make a song and dance about it then!

What's his financial position now that we are in dire financial straights?

Please note that I have not looked at the accounts in detail, and to be honest would probably not understand it (lost keeping up when accrual accounting was introduced).

Last edited:
You are giving credit to Scally for taking a wage cut, but that was back in 2018/19. Find it hard to believe he didn't make a song and dance about it then!

Please note that I have not looked at the accounts in detail, and to be honest would probably not understand it (lost keeping up when accrual accounting was introduced).

Gee Rotherhithe, are you suggesting he might not have actually taken less fees last year because he didn’t boast about it?

I would find that astonishing. Why would he?

To be fair to Scally he doesn't strike me as one for seeking out credit. He does what he does and rarely feels the need to talk about it.