Last Night | Vital Football

Last Night

SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend
Bitterly disappointed, I don't know why, we never seem to score there, never mind get a win, but having slept on it here's my thoughts on tactics, formation, selection.

Let's start with the positives, for me Walker was outstanding. Man of the match by a country mile, which in itself is a worry.

I reckon NC picked that team with the attacking fullback selection to support midfield, for me it was an error.
The back 4 picks itself, almost.
Turton RB, Garbutt LB, big Marv are 3 starters, either Ballard or Icelandic lad takes the other spot.
At this point I would have Icelandic lad ahead of Ballard at present. He has come in and played fantastically, whether we are trying to court the Arse by playing Ballard to secure a loan extension I don't know but the defence is pretty much set for me.
I don't mind Gabriel, and he is going to mature in to a fantastic fullback but he doesn't offer that steadiness of Turton at this time.

If NC is playing fullbacks to push forward and support midfield, then for me the midfield needs looking at.
Dougall is a starter, regardless of selection tactics, Kemp and Robson are too similar for me to play in the same team as a starter. Both are too lightweight, and I don't understand why last night when it was clear with Madine starting as a lone striker why NC was flooding midfield with players who aren't the type to bully / muscle a game.
I would have played Ward or Anderson with either Kemp / Robson.

KK is a worry. He is so hit and miss, the inconsistency is all to regular and for me he should be nowhere near the starting 11. He is a passenger in this team and added to Robson/Kemp selection it was a weak midfield last night, and this is where we lost the game.

A dominant midfielder, would be a target for me in this window, as would a striker.

Madine played OK last night, but when Yates came on he saw nothing of the ball - most games he feeds off scraps and I would like us to play to his potential strengths, I don't think we have seen the best of him yet.

I would like us to play with 2 strikers on the pitch as a starting position. Last night a 4-5-1 didn't work, even with Gabriel and Garbutt pushing forward we had not enough of the ball in this area.

It's as if we are almost looking to win games 1-0, that doesn't allow for mistakes that cost us games, like last night, that pen giveaway was KK's only contribution to the game.

4-4-2 or even 3-5-2 if you are going to play attacking wing backs as part of the 5 but please start with a 2 upfront.

I'm not convinced that the lack of firepower has influenced the starting 11 formation.
Clearly Madine and Yates cannot play every game but that tells me we need to strengthen in this area, a forward is a must.

I would take Frenchie back in a heartbeat, I would give consideration to taking Vassell back or buying a similar player. He held the ball up well, had goals in him, wasn't afraid to shoot and played well with a player that is similar to Yates in Cullen.

1 defeat isn't the end of the world, or the season, but as we saw last season you never know when it may end, we need to make sure we get in to, and stay in the top 6 as soon as possible.

Think that's a really good post mate.

Like I said pre-match, I'd have gone 442 last night. Like you, I felt that the full back selection was dictated by the absence of Hamilton and that NC got it wrong tactically.

Think you're a little harsh on Robson; he got stuck in loads pre-Dougall, so he's definitely got it in his locker. We just need to see it consistently. The same applies to all of the central midfielders who've played next to Dougall. Like you say the defence has benefitted from a settled centre half partnership, and that's what is lacking in the middle of the park.

I'd like to see Lubala get a run, particularly with Hamilton out, as he offers something different in that he tries to run at the opposition. That's key when you're against a well organised defence like last night/a goal down.

It'll be interesting to see how we manoeuvre the squad in January to bring in more fire power. We're obviously capped at 22 players at present but that reduces to 20 next season (on the basis we're still in L1), so we need to have that in the back of our minds. If we're going to end up with four strikers I think one of them will have to be U21.

Think that's a really good post mate.

Like I said pre-match, I'd have gone 442 last night. Like you, I felt that the full back selection was dictated by the absence of Hamilton and that NC got it wrong tactically.

Think you're a little harsh on Robson; he got stuck in loads pre-Dougall, so he's definitely got it in his locker. We just need to see it consistently. The same applies to all of the central midfielders who've played next to Dougall. Like you say the defence has benefitted from a settled centre half partnership, and that's what is lacking in the middle of the park.

I'd like to see Lubala get a run, particularly with Hamilton out, as he offers something different in that he tries to run at the opposition. That's key when you're against a well organised defence like last night/a goal down.

It'll be interesting to see how we manoeuvre the squad in January to bring in more fire power. We're obviously capped at 22 players at present but that reduces to 20 next season (on the basis we're still in L1), so we need to have that in the back of our minds. If we're going to end up with four strikers I think one of them will have to be U21.

Considering Lubalas rep was that he's really good at taking players on, his touch is woeful. His appearances off the bench haven't earned him a shot starting IMO.

We do lack genuine quality in midfield/No. 10 though (Dougall aside), either of the lads (Ronan, KDD) we got on loan last year would instantly upgrade the team - and those are the sort of players we need to be chasing. Bin Woodburn off.

Interesting to note Woodburns absence last night, I think he will be gone.

I think Lubala was the intended aim of Critchleys "grab the opportunity" quote now CJ is out for weeks.

I'd agree we have been spoilt by loans in recent years, in this division too.
Longstaff, KDH, 1 person I would like us to consider is Nya Kirby. He is the tricky killer pass midfielder we seem to have not had and perhaps that will allow Robson to do more of the dirty work.

Brizzle is another bogey ground for us, let's see what Saturday brings.

Great posts gents. I actually thought Marv was my MOtM he's getting better and better, still needs work on his footwork under pressure but he keeps it simple. Really pleased that the centre backs are consistent as Abel says.

Thought the keeper did well, love to see then dominate the area from crosses and he gets down very quick for a big bloke. I dummy like the way he saves and pushes the ball into the danger zone a better keeper including for the pen would have pushed the ball for a corner or away from goal. Sorry if that seems harsh.

I like Kemp but have no idea where he was playing.

Robson really hot stuck in and I was surprised he wasn't at least booked in the first half. We didn't see much of his creativity.

The two wing backs do offer between them long throws, dead ball options and less likely to get sent off.

2k as Sexy says what a disappointment. I think he's our best footballer but this season his first touch and general play has been well below par. If like to see him have a run at the no 10 role.

Laballa oh dear oh dear, he looked a shambles when he came on. He, Sarkic and Anderson need to trust some faith and to why they were bought

Yates I really like him but he gets no supply at all. He could be immense

Interesting to note Woodburns absence last night, I think he will be gone.

I think Lubala was the intended aim of Critchleys "grab the opportunity" quote now CJ is out for weeks.

I'd agree we have been spoilt by loans in recent years, in this division too.
Longstaff, KDH, 1 person I would like us to consider is Nya Kirby. He is the tricky killer pass midfielder we seem to have not had and perhaps that will allow Robson to do more of the dirty work.

Brizzle is another bogey ground for us, let's see what Saturday brings.

I only noticed yesterday Kirby had signed for Tranmere on loan