Laptop or I Pad? | Vital Football

Laptop or I Pad?

astonion

Vital Squad Member
I am faced with the prospect of going into hospital for major surgery and will most likely be in for quite sometime. So I am thinking of buying either a laptop or an i pad. Now I dont know anything about them and not really tech minded so would really appreciate some help with this one. Which is the best option. Today I was looking on line at the Apple 4th gen i pad but dont know if I would be better off with a laptop. Any thoughts guys.

astonion - 18/9/2013 19:32

I am faced with the prospect of going into hospital for major surgery and will most likely be in for quite sometime. So I am thinking of buying either a laptop or an i pad. Now I dont know anything about them and not really tech minded so would really appreciate some help with this one. Which is the best option. Today I was looking on line at the Apple 4th gen i pad but dont know if I would be better off with a laptop. Any thoughts guys.

What are you hoping to use it for? Is it to use the internet, Read a book, watch Films/TV or play games?

Also, what phone do you have? If it's an iPhone then the Ipad is probably the best tablet for you, but if not an Android tablet could be better suited.

What's the major surgery? It must be serious, as they can't wait to get you home normally!!!

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 18/9/2013 19:42

astonion - 18/9/2013 19:32

What are you hoping to use it for? Is it to use the internet, Read a book, watch Films/TV or play games?

Also, what phone do you have? If it's an iPhone then the Ipad is probably the best tablet for you, but if not an Android tablet could be better suited.

What's the major surgery? It must be serious, as they can't wait to get you home normally!!!

My phone is just that, a phone no frills. Would like to access the internet so really my first thought was a laptop as I would like to do all the things I can do on my PC. I am assuming that I will be able to go wireless in the QE. They have got to remove something from my pancreas and have told me its the biggest operation they do because they will have to remove part of my stomach to get to it. Going tomorrow to see the consultant then its just how quickly they want to do it.

Blimey. Good luck and keep us informed.

Not all Hospitals have free WiFi, so best to check that first. It could get expensive.

A laptop is easier to type on so it would be my first choice if that's what you need it for, but it's not impossible on a tablet. Can we assume you will have a power point nearby? If not, a Tablet's battery will last much, much longer, so it would be more convenient.

If you do go for a laptop, make it light and portable with a good battery life over speed. Even the slowest these days are fine for the basics like web surfing.

If you go for a Tablet you can get a Nexus 7 for under £200, and it will do everything an iPad would. It's smaller and lighter than an iPad, with a long battery life. I also find it a better weight to hold for long periods. I can't see the point of spending the extra for just the one occasion.

Good luck tomorrow.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 18/9/2013 20:15

Blimey. Good luck and keep us informed.

Not all Hospitals have free WiFi, so best to check that first. It could get expensive.

A laptop is easier to type on so it would be my first choice if that's what you need it for, but it's not impossible on a tablet. Can we assume you will have a power point nearby? If not, a Tablet's battery will last much, much longer, so it would be more convenient.

If you do go for a laptop, make it light and portable with a good battery life over speed. Even the slowest these days are fine for the basics like web surfing.

If you go for a Tablet you can get a Nexus 7 for under £200, and it will do everything an iPad would. It's smaller and lighter than an iPad, with a long battery life. I also find it a better weight to hold for long periods. I can't see the point of spending the extra for just the one occasion.

Good luck tomorrow.

Thanks mate, hopefully everything will be Ok and I can come on here to keep tabs on what going on. Am looking on Ebay at the moment so will let you know what decide. Will check while I am there tomorrow to see if they have free wi fi.

No brainer, surely, a laptop every time. I'm actually not quite sure what an ipad is for, other than for looking a twat :) An ipad is also more likely to slip off the bed and shatter on the floor.

Good luck with the op.

Saurat - 18/9/2013 21:01

No brainer, surely, a laptop every time. I'm actually not quite sure what an ipad is for, other than for looking a twat :) An ipad is also more likely to slip off the bed and shatter on the floor.

Good luck with the op.

Thanks mate, have pretty much decided on a laptop so just looking to see which one to buy.

Of course, now it's possible to get a combination ultra-book/tablet like this:-http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NT.L1XAA.001

I have an iPad, for what you want, I would go with a laptop.

iPads and other tablets have their place but after surgery especially, I think you would be better with something less fiddly.

Don't forget to get it insured or check with household insurance covers it out of the home.

Good luck mate, hard times but you'll get through, day at a time was always my thinking for getting through ops.

Saurat - 18/9/2013 21:01

Good luck with the op.

Yes, because laptops don't slip and fall and if they do, they don't shatter at all!!

:3:

I love the iPad, but it is just an extra toy really.

I wouldn't use it to replace a computer.

If I was you, I would get a laptop.

Good luck with the surgery, hope it goes well.

Give it a couple of weeks and we will be sick of you posting on here with your shiny new laptop.

I have both. I virtually never use my laptop. Either I pad or android would be great. However there are some things you need a pc for, so if you are only buying one or the other then get a laptop
And all the best for your surgery.

I have a laptop which I use less and less. I haven't touched it this week. I can do pretty much everything I need to on my Samsung Note 2.

Get a smart phone with a big screen. Sorted.

I`ve got no idea about ipoddy things,but i just wanted to say Good Luck with the op Astonian.

If you insure it on the All Risks section of your home insurance,check the excess.You don`t want a £200 x/s on a £300 ipoddy.

I still prefer the laptop to the tablet, mobile to use for internet access BB. Just a matter of choice, really.

BodyButter - 19/9/2013 02:02

I have a laptop which I use less and less. I haven't touched it this week. I can do pretty much everything I need to on my Samsung Note 2.

Get a smart phone with a big screen. Sorted.

In a couple of weeks my 2 year old original Note (best purchase I have ever made) becomes my shiny new Note 3, so my recommendation would be a large smart phone and a laptop to cover every need